main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    [face_laugh]

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    If it was ONLY hair and eye color, I'd have given it a pass. But just like Shira Brie/Lumiya, Mara was ALSO Force-sensitive AND trained by a Sith Lord AND trained as an Imperial agent AND tasked with taking down Luke Skywalker AND was also his love interest.

Yeah... [face_plain]

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, to be fair-Mara wasn't really his love interest until the end of Bantam. I've certainly never taken him to be interested in her in that way in the Thrawn Trilogy-he seemed more interested in having an equal peer then.

But yeah, the similarities are suspicious.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    What's wrong with Tales of the Jedi? I love Tales of the Jedi!

werpudel and black_saber like this.
  5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I just find it kinda boring. And the art makes my eyes bleed. :p

6. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I like the concept of Tales of the Jedi far more than the execution... like DarthBoba, the art's not easy on my eyes. Very uneven, even sloppy in places... doesn't feel very 'Star Wars-y' aside from lightsabers and some of the alien species. With better artists or better art direction, it might've been great. For that 'era', I much prefer the lion's share of the KOTOR series... didn't always like all the artists, but they had a lot of good stuff in there. Gotta thank the game for some of that, tho, as it brought that "Star Wars" look & feel back to that general era.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012

There's far more to comics than the art!

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Golden Age of the Sith and the Fall of the Sith Empire were amazing. The art was pretty funky for UQD Beast Wars of Onderon but I was okay with the Saga of Nom Sunrider.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

Yes, like not having a hack writer such as KJA writing for you. :p

10. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    For a VISUAL MEDIUM like comics, the art's pretty damn important. There were parts of the whole TOTJ era where I liked the art... a few issues here & there... but mostly it fell flat for me.

Darth_Pevra and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Plot, story, characters, etc. > ALL

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Not in a comic. Especially given that a big portion of the above is conveyed visually.

Toonimator likes this.
  13. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Great plot, story, and characters can save a comic with mediocre art... far too much of the TOTJ era's art was well below "mediocre", and I'm not sure how many of those comics actually had "great" plot, story, AND characters.

And great art can often save a comic with mediocre plot, story, or characters. Sadly, the best the TOTJ era could do in that regard was offer some great covers.

14. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I have feeling we are going to get tv shows and spin-off movies about tales of the jedi and knights of the old republic stuff ^:)^ =D=

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    And while they're at it, Tales of the Jedi could be improved/fixed

Jedi Merkurian and Toonimator like this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I liked the the TOTJ art for what it was trying to do, but I probably wouldn't have liked it under most other circumstances.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What was it trying to do?

18. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I got the feeling it was intentionally trying more to create a "mythic" feel than to actually look that much like Star Wars as we know it.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Golden Age of the Sith went way too far

20. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    I think it was trying to show something "different" for Star Wars, especially since it took place about a few thousand years before the movies... but I think it erred on the side of making things look too 'primitive'. Based on Kenobi's statement in ANH, we believed the Galactic Republic and/or Jedi had existed for over 25,000 years, with the "25 years = a generation" idea. So that means a mystical order of guardians and a galactic community spanning hundreds/thousands of distant worlds had been in place for tens of thousands of years... space travel, alien encounters, fanciful weapons & equipment, all 'ancient' discoveries by our reckoning. On that time-scale, the level of tech, the level of society, probably wouldn't look so 'ancient', it would've plateaued... changes would mostly be cosmetic, not advances in power, efficiency, etc so much. However, with that time-scale, it's quite possible society would occasionally fall behind and regress a bit on many worlds. I don't recall it being presented very well, tho... it just seemed like "It's the past, so things are more primitive" when you'd probably have to go back another 10,000 years for things to really make more sense being as primitive as they seemed in TOTJ.

Just my take on it; now, by the time I've posted this, Vthuil's probably replied and meant something completely different ;)

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I think TOTJ is a collection of legends told by the Jedi, not reliable a reliable history book.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Actually, darklordoftech covered it pretty well. I think the art and aesthetics are intentionally supposed to seem like mythology, not a literal depiction of the year 4,000 BBY.

Which is why, incidentally, it's annoyed me when later material that's not trying for the same effect still goes the same direction. For instance, take the Galactic Timeline videos for The Old Republic. The narration of the videos seems to demythify the TOTJ material, and the visuals of the game have, if anything, too much similarity to "modern" Star Wars aesthetics. But yet they still, for instance, depict the Great Hyperspace War as being fought by medieval men-at-arms. I think that's a serious case of missing the point.

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    That is why they need to establish some official policy on what is going to be done, so all their fans know what is going on.

That said if their is a change to how LFL has presented the EU my guess is that we won't hear about it for a while so it doesn't affect sales of their current new material.

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In fact, I doubt the events of TOTJ happened in exactly 4000 BBY. That would be quite coincidential.

25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    More like 20,000 BBY, but Disney excutive bob igar did say Star Wars has a 20,000 year period and 17,000 charcters!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.