main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Hand Of Thrawn would be the easy "transition" point. Or possibly Black Fleet Crisis-nothing terribly galaxy-changing happens there, and it does introduce a few dozen new ship classes for ILM to have fun with.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I'd be OK with it all, if they just nuked him.;)

Force Smuggler and Darth_Pevra like this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Anakin Solo's existence poses a huge problem. I don't think he will ever be in a Star Wars movie. 10 ABY might be a useful cutoff point. It is a nice, round number also.

Yea, Jacen is Jerk Mc Jerkface.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    So- basically just before Dark Empire?

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Don't include DE3 and he's not technically in it besides being a round shape on Leia's stomach. :p

I think 10ABY is way too close after ROTJ with the actor's ages, though.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    My guess is that, by "cutoff point" they mean "point at which the alternate timeline begins" rather than "date of the events of Episode VII".

8. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    A Cut-off point or simply an edit of some of the earliest existing works would be great, I just don't want the entire of the EU thrown in the bin because of some of those terrible Post-ROTJ books.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Iron_lord

I guess so. The very popular Thrawn Trilogy would survive that way.

Maybe. I mean you can retcon a lot. But retcon a missing son in the trilogy? That might be too much.

Another possibility is to cut-off everything non-TCW after TPM. Then there will be little EU-spinoff interference in the Dark Time era and the whole pre-TPM works would "survive".

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Ah, probably. Still, unless they're going to generate twenty or thirty years of filler material, 10ABY is still way too early. And given that it's taken 20-odd years for the current EU to even get to that point, I'm good. :p

11. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    You dont need overly detailed book series, *Cough* X-wing NJO *Cough* it would actually be pretty easy to fill in with an event taking place every five years or so.

12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    their going with Georgr Lucas treatments, and completely ignoring the books,video games, and comics, just like they did the Marvel run during the OT. according to Screenrant, and Hitfix

13. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    For the stories they are writing, of course, also treatments are hardly concrete, they still have to write the scripts, etc....

The story they create cans till have nods to certain events or leave other events alone entirely.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Most of the pre-Thrawn post-RoTJ material is at least moderately well regarded. A few oddities, but even those have their fans.

Marvel Star Wars (last few arcs)
    The Truce At Bakura
    The Jedi Prince series
    The X Wing Series (comics)
    The X Wing Series (books, excepting Starfighters of Adumar which is after Dark Empire)
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost

These are the first things that spring to mind.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, then all the better. The Dark Times stuff is simply "fixed" with retcons as soon as problems arise.

Like the EU ever had problems with producing filler material? Every random kantina alien got its own backstory! And there is always the possibility of a Tv-series between ROTJ and Ep VII. I am not worried at all.

16. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    You know if Tim Zahn is asked to write a book, or story in the new EU, he might put in a new version of Mara Jade

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Can we nuke Vector Prime?

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Short Answer: Yes.
    Long Answer: As I said, any hope for an 100% EU-consistent ST went out the window when a moon hit a certain character.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    NJO is doomed. DOOMED!

22. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Who knows what happened in the Movie verse, between six, and seven, we'll get hints in the opening crawl

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I just finished with that book and thought it was pretty good (except for the whole moon incident.) That said I'm not attached to the EU in any way so I wouldn't mind if it gets nuked.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As for "keeping" the Thrawn Trilogy, unless Jacen and Jania Solo are in it in film in their mid-30s, I doubt it would be "kept". There will probably be different kids. In their late-teens and early 20s, like the casting call said.

Troy Denning interview on TFN front page, even he admits that adhering to the EU would constrain the filmmakers and the biggest priority is making a good movie.

http://www.theforce.net/v3-story/frontTFN_Interview_Crucible_Author_Troy_Denning_153017.asp

It's very hard for me to even contemplate what should happen without knowing what is going to happen, but my general thought is that I want to see the screenwriters have the freedom they need to make a great movie. That's first and foremost, that's my primary goal, and I think it should be everybody's primary goal -- to get some more, really kickass Star Wars movies out there. Whatever the movie people need to achieve that, I would be good with. If that means keeping the EU, great. If it means not keeping the EU, I'd be sad to see it go, but I still think that, ultimately, Star Wars would be better-served by having these guys tell the story they want to tell.

That being said, I think there are a lot of things they could pull from the EU, that they could use and incorporate and build on. But I don't know that I would want to see them try to adhere too strictly to the EU. I worry that there's so much material out there that it would be a straightjacket for them.

Before you say, "Should the EU become the AU, or should we go back and restart it and do a new EU?" I think we can't even begin to answer [those questions] until we begin seeing what the movie looks like. I'm sure there's somebody out there who does know the answer, but it isn't me.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Interestingly, it was Denning's books (the Dark Nest trilogy) that started what a lot of people seem to see as a massive move away from "normal" Star Wars- more even than the New Jedi Order books.

Or at least- that's what it looks like to me, going by a lot of the things I've read on the Literature forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.