main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They are allowed to nuke everything DNT onward except the Legacy comics.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I love the Legacy comics but all it really takes is for Luke not to have any children and they're pretty much nuked. The first volume at least.

3. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    ...which is why I hope they let Luke have kids. Twin boys... Owen & Ben. Now, finally, the ROTJ novelization will be vindicated! Owen and Ben ARE brothers! :D

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

I like those, though. :p I'm not spending money on Disney clones of garbage like LOTF and FOTJ.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    And all it takes for the second volume to be nuked is for Han not to have any children.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, because that's a thing that'll happen. /s

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I could see a "Rozencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" (Or, let's go with "Tag and Bink Are Dead") style to the EU characters, well, basically the offspring, who wouldn't be in the sequel trilogy. Of course, it depends on how you look at it. If Han looks proudly at his boy, pats him on the back and says "You are my only child, and I love you cuz you are awesome being my only child and all" then the XYZ novel about "What Jania / Allana / Ben / Jag Were Doing in Ep. 7" would have to do narrative backflips to fit into it. ("Jania Solo didn't like erasing her parents memory of her entire history along with purging herself from all records everywhere but it had to be done for yadda yadda yadda"). It could get very straining but the illusion of a single continuity would be preserved. Of course, then you have to wonder, would they tapdance that much around it or just eject the EU characters and history?

I keep going back to a "Crisis" idea because it could make the whole thing fit cohesively, something the ST will have no priority towards maintaining. I dunno, at the end of "Sword of the Jedi" Jania sacrifices herself to reboot the post ROTJ RU history into a ST compatible history or something.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I would sure hope they don't do anything like that. There are limits to what retcons can explain before it gets silly.

9. ConnorLovesPadme

ConnorLovesPadme Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2013
    I was not sure where to post this so sorry if its the wrong thread correct me if I'm wrong but what's everyone's view on the shooting for Star Wars 7 being shot in London? Im abit skeptical about the whole filming in London idea as there are better parts in the world were the location will make a big impact on the movie.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jun/10/star-wars-vii-jj-abrams

10. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

I agree, what works for comic book universes doesn't necessarily work for Star Wars.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

(beating maychild to the punch)

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

:p

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The recent James Bond movies had good sets, so I got not problem with the pinewood studios.

But this doesn't really have much to do with the EU.

13. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    The Original Trilogy did principle photography (the Falcon, Death Star, etc) pretty much if it was inside at Elstree/Pinewood. It's in good hands.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How would everyone react if Leia and/or Han say, "We hate the names Jaina and Jacen!"

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'd facepalm, because that would only happen if there were a true EU hater working somewhere on the crew of Episode VII.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, that would be a little unnecessary. I'd definitely roll my eyes even if I'm not a big EU fan.

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I would wonder what they smoked. Completely unnecessary and insulting to EU fans.

18. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Yeah I'd be fine with that. Except I have a feeling the YV invasion is toast. I mean if thats in the opening credit sprawl its kind of like ok...well...they survived an alien invasion so...how bad can this threat be...

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Invasion was the kid's war and the ST is the Grandkids war.

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    "...the galaxy is left reeling in the wake of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, balanced on the edge of disaster..."

So we're in dire straits, and we know that something bad's gonna happen if things aren't done right. It still seems unlikely. But it's fun to imagine, because if they were to make a movie taking place at this time, Jaina would be 19-20 (thus, the late-teens girl), Tahiri would be 17 (the other late-teen girl), Jacen would be absent, wandering the galaxy (hence no main character as a male teenager), and Ben would be a 2-year-old. Thus, you have your cast with explanations for the missing other characters. Kind of ironic.

Volderon and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    While I would totally love that, I just have this feeling that thats never gonna happen. Its asking the audience too much to piece together the missing years, an entire war that we missed when we just got out of the last one in Episode VI

Darth_Pevra and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Yeah, there's poking fun (from a fan on a message board) and then there's outright mean - No thanks.

23. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Maybe we can all just pretend that the EU kids are off planet and the OT3 hate their guts soo much that they no longer acknowledge their existance and had new kids in order to help them forget those original brats more. IDK just a suggestion ;)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. It is extremely unlikely. In fact, it has a 99.998% chance of not happening. But it's fun to think about.

25. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Or
    Or Luke uses red matter to stop a sun from going supernova except it goes nova and he gets sucked into a black hole going back years into the past effectively creating a new timeline of events

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.