main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Veitch's original plan. GL rejected it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yep.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    BigAl6ft6, here's another idea for a "Crisis on Infinite EUs" villain: The Whill Not.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Calling it now. The villain will be a member of Waru's species. :p Rather than healing, he focuses instead on consumption!

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  5. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Personally, I'd be thrilled to see 90% of the EU scrapped. Pretty much the only EU I liked were the Thrawn stories and X-Wing series. Just my view, but I wouldn't miss the lack of NJO/Solo kids, etc.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    This quote from this article on the EU made me laugh. I think many on the JCF would disagree vehemently with this quote.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323740804578597932210460170.html

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The EU is like the bible yet the movies aren't?

Krueger likes this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I am pretty sure the person making that quote is not an authoritative expert on Star Wars nor is he likely to be posting on the JCF. :p

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    They're all works of fiction based in mythology.

StoneRiver likes this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, but in the case of SW the movies came first.

12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    this is like the whole "who shot first" thing :p

Edit: actually it really isn't, so I don't know why I just posted that, must be the heat.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Exactly. This is what a lot of EU lovers genuinely fail to see. Star Wars is a film franchise. Always has been. It is not a series of books that were adapted into films. Star Wars is not Harry Potter or LOTR. The EU should adhere to the films. Not the other way round.

14. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I've been saying that for years,

but I'm fed up with saying it now :p

El_Machete12 likes this.
  15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *fixed for personal accuracy

Darth Claire likes this.
  16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    You know one thing I kinda wonder *assuming that they are creating a New EU*...whats going to happen to that if they make a "Sequel-Sequel Trilogy". Cause I bet the New EU will create a whole bunch of new characters and events that they will say take place after the events of episode 9 so what happens when they make episode 10? Will it be a constant cycle of rebooting the EU everytime a new trilogy comes out and if thats the case then whats the point of making an new EU? Am I making sense?

17. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Part of the problem is that EU insist on working with characters that can be easily retconned,

Skywalkers, Solos, etc

the Galaxy is a big big place, EU writers should make their own characters up either set way in the future or far in the past imo.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This x1000. There are countless people in the galaxy without the surname Skywalker or Solo that the books can focus on.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Didn't GL say just that?

P.S. I'm pretty sure that TTT was crated to compensate for the (at the time) absence of plans for an ST.

20. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    This is why the X-wing books are so great... Who do we get from the movies? Wedge? Ackbar? Leia for a scene? It's all about different people than the movies.

21. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    The problem is... the EU WAS adhering to the films. Then the prequels came along and suddenly a lot in the EU didn't make sense anymore and needed to be retconned. And now the ST is happening, so all the stuff that's happened since, that's adhered to Eps 1-6, is now gonna be retconned or completely destroyed, too.

How is the EU supposed to adhere to the movies when the movies completely ignore the EU they generate? It'd be like Darth Claire said, will they just reboot the EU every time a new trilogy or movie's made? It'd be a pretty simple thing if they just WORKED TOGETHER, giving the publisher a bunch of guidelines so neither steps on each others' toes (kinda like what Dark Horse & Del Rey try to do...sorta)... or if they just hold off on any "after-movie" EU until the next movie's announced or produced, only focusing on filling gaps between movies akin to TCW and REBELS.

But yes, there's also the alternative of setting stories far from the action of the movies, with different characters & whatnot. The only ties would be factions, maybe explaining how this Brand New Main Character is a Jedi from Luke's Order or whatever, that kinda thing.

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Wait a second, how is Dark Empire adhering to the movies? Or the Thran Trilogy with its Grand Admirals? Or any other important novel series? What I see in this old works is retcon after retcon after retcon and the movies shouldn't really be retconned.

The movies were retconned by EU stories before the PT was in the making!

VanishingReality likes this.
  23. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Rejected it? George lucas loves dark empire.

24. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Movies are like the bible. There is some biblical stuff about the force being alot like jewish god as the force like energy!

25. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    ...GL rejected the ORIGINAL PLAN, the one where some random guy was wearing Vader-armor as the main villain.

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.