main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    None of that will happen. Particularly not the time-frame.

2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I think the names might still stand a chance, small tho it may be (aside from Jagged Fel, or "Darth Caedus"), but Shabba seems to be expecting the EU to remain largely intact as backstory to the movie, and that's pretty silly to expect or even HOPE for at this point.

3. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    besides who says that's a real casting call, and not something cooked up by Lucasfilm to distract the fans from the other fake one.

Lucasfilm, Disnbey, and bad Robot would have the real one in a safe, and how would a publicist get the real one?

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It was posted on a pretty legitimate casting website before bleedingcool.com and schmoesknow.com got their hands on it and immediately taken down once it was leaked. That and Lucasfilm confirming it as real makes it seem pretty legit to me.

5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    *in response to the "But maybe that casting call is fake* comment
    But I dont get the point of creating a very realistic and believable casting call, then apparantly sending it out for auditions, only for it to be fake just to cover up something that only EU fans know. I doubt this is like the Khan casting where of coarse they had to keep it secret. I believe there is a 99.999% chance that casting call is legit because they confirmed it and I doubt they have a reason to hide it. If they are using EU characters then logicly the casting call would reflect that.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    He also says: Simon Kinberg, Lawrence Kasdan, and voices you aren't even aware of yet are all contributing to the conversation, and they are not sitting there as a group taking notes on stories that were told in book form. They did not walk into the situation handcuffed to the idea of just adapting something. The people that have signed on have signed on so that they can take advantage of the freedom of a wide-open universe, and they are working to build something that you don't expect, something that does something new.

...when 2015 rolls around, you'll get an idea of just how completely they're leaving the already-existent books behind.

and in the comments he elaborates: The EU has never, ever been canon. No one ever promised them that it would be. And even when making the prequels, Lucas was vocal about how only what happens in the films is considered canon. Any other expectations are simply misguided.

So, yes, he is talking about more than just Jania and Jacen but is explicitly referencing how the EU has a whole is not going to be used.

7. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    And yet each one of his assertions just points to not adapting a novel. His comment about the EU never being canon is ridiculous at best and a straight up lie at most. I doubt he has ties to George Lucas and considering that while Lucas doesn't get involved in a lot of it he still views it as canon enough to invest in a holocron, Leland Chee, and utilize terms created in the EU.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    GL has stated that there are 2 canons, one without the EU and one with.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't know how much clearer the statement of "how completely they're leaving the already-existent books behind" means that .... they're leaving the already-existent books behind. So, you agree with the article where it says that Jacen and Jania Caedus arc isn't being used but when he explicitly points out that the EU is not going to be used you don't believe that part, correct?

10. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Oh I do so look forward to the "This character is obviously *insert Eu character* no matter what they say" debates we will have here. I sooo predict this thread being full of "Smoke screen conspiracy theories" (you know assuming characters/events in the movie are from the EU and JJ is just keeping it a secret from us because of his precious mystery box). I can see the rivers of denial flowing strong if they ever come out and fully confirm the EU is not used.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Abrams said "No comment" at something that may or may not have been an EU question recently and people starting taking that as confirmation. It's JJ Abrams. He would say "No comment" to protect a movie's mystery if you asked him if craft services was good that day.

12. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Even once the movie is released, people will 'see' X character on screen - EG - 'You saw that astromec with the red dome? That was MARA in DISGUISE! She's gonna be in the NEXT MOVIE!'

Mark my words...

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Exactly what I was going to say! Episode IX will have been on Blu-Ray for 10 years and there will still be fans insisting that Samantha Solo is Jaina using an alias.

14. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    So true. I bet some people will search for similarities to say this character is "meant to be" some EU character. Like "This character has brown hair and is a pilot so she was obviously Jaina and they just didn't want to use her REAL name just to piss us fans off".

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Or there could be a book about "How Jania Solo turned herself into 19 year old Samantha Solo" which will fit it all together!

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I hate how the EU canonizes things like typos in visual dictionaries.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    Because I believe the guy has ties to Bad Robot which is the part discussing not being Jacen and Jaina and I don't believe he has ties to Lucas which is the rest of it.

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

[​IMG] GIFSoup

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    El mayimbe tweeted this earlier:

Apparently some people were harassing him over the Zac Efron rumor and he went off on us SW fans. I thought this was funny. [face_devil]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2011

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    McWeeny has been running Star Wars scoops ever since he reviewed the script for "The Phantom Menace" as Moriarty back on AICN in 1998. He's legit. And he says in the article very explicitly that there will not be any EU influencing the movie.

It's not just that bit, the entire article is basically refuting the concept of even using the EU at all, not just debunking the Jacen and Jania rumour but bouncing the entire expanded universe.

23. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Which article?

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Back one page, the "Buzzkill" Hitfix article.

Also Kenedy just said at Celebration that they are looking forward to creating "great new characters" for what it's worth.

InterestingLurker and Mange like this.
  25. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Oh, thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.