main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2011
    I have hopes for Ben, Allana and Vestara based on the casting list. I feel that they will develop the script independently and then realize there is no reason they can't make them the existing EU characters without much problem. I also assume that even though they haven't read the books in detail, anyone who cares at all about Star Wars has a general idea of many of the EU concepts. The original Zahn novels were likely read by everyone on the project for instance. They've probably dablled here and there in games, comics, novels, conventions, Clone Wars, etc. All of these things have influenced them whether they are admitting it to themselves or not.

2. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    Not really. The whole Original Trilogy was full of mystery, unexplained and nebulous concepts.

The prequel trilogy movies each had novesl that were written to explain the premise behind the opening crawl. The movie moved forward without assuming people needed to know exactly what the crawl was about.

For me, it's just like when I watch an Avengers movie. I know there's decades of comics and storylines that explain who all these characters are and what is going on. But I don't go read them. I just enjoy them for what they are and move on with my life.

3. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I also hope they don't underestimate the amount of Star Wars fans who actually know a little something about what happens in & care about the EU as well. Honestly the only things I want to survive in the EU would be these aspects, as well as basic stuff like Han & Leia getting married, Luke rebuilding the order etc.

• Thrawn Trilogy(It shows the most sensible way in which a government like the Empire with all their fancy warships, large armies & control of key worlds survives a tremendous loss like losing the Emperor & Vader. Things get chaotic and is effectively reorganized under the guidance of Thrawn not some B.S. like they bow down & surrender to a small Army leading to an era of peace. There's still plenty of loyalists out there in that time who wouldn't give up without a fight..)
    • The Vong War(The Yuuzhan Vong are probably the most original, challenging & interesting villains I've seen in post-ROTJ EU and they'd be crazy to uncanonize them, it'd be nice if they did their own take on the Vong though)
    • The real Skywalker/Solo children(Jaina, Ben, maybe not Anakin etc). Enough said with that point.
    Stuff like the return of Emperor Palpatine could go out the door.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, but let's play a hypothetical here, what if the story for the Sequel Trilogy that the filmmakers come up with is that the Empire / Rebellion has been punching away at each other for decades with Imperial Infighting (instead of just the five years) and then the Empire is reunited as a threat under a new leader. Should they not be allowed to do that story because Thrawn did it first? It sounds like a solid idea for a flick, IMHO.

5. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I can see where you are coming from, and I assume that along the way Luke's been training new Jedi to help the Rebels/Growing New Republic? But from what I've been hearing they want to do something "never before seen in extended fiction" though. The idea seems nice though, I myself wouldn't mind seeing some original villains.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    But you can't transition from one movie to the next without explanation.

7. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    or even a Skywalker/Solo family split

Luke skywalker's family fully accepts Anakin's redemption.

After all even though Vader cuts off Luke's hand, he asks him to join him twice, he's even willing to stand up to his master for him.

Look at what he does to his daughter, Tortures her, forces her to watch, as her planet is blown up, doesn't see her resemblance to Padme, and then freezes Han, and sends hum to jabba

You can definately see her not wanting to see her kids, or grandkids taking their grandfather's path, as Jedi

You remove Tatooine's ghost, and Truce at Bakura, and ROTS removed Zahn's force ghost time limit, and you have thirty years of Leia
    butting heads with her father, and luke, one of her kids might become a pilot, or politician, and another might train to become a Jedi over her parents objections.

With the big bad forcing the family to fully work together, without any of them falling to the dark side. with the hero's journey being the member of the next generation who has refused Jedi training

8. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    Original trilogy did so just fine. Splinter of the Mind's Eye wasn't canon, the toys did most of the moving forward to the next movie. Plus, every other movie universe pretty much does so. We find out in the next movie what's been going on, or find out afterwards in books/comics.

However that's not even what I'm saying and is irrelevant. The EU is already out there. Rather than writing new books, which would need to start very soon to come out in time, they could just keep the EU intact and surgically enhance it as needed.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    OT wasn't transitioning from anything.
    It's the transition from ANH to ESB that we're talking about here, not the transition from ANH to Splinter to ESB. ESB doesn't recognize Splinter as canon, so there was no need to explain what happened in Splinter.
    I'm sorry but most viewers won't do that. They'll just be confused.

10. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    There is probably more money to be made in new books, then in the old ones, after all this time the money will all go to Disney/Lucasfilm, to help
    them recover their money back, each year the books don't sell as well as they used to, Crucible has already fallen out of the top twenty on the Bestseller lists.
    Years ago new post ROTJ books, would stay near the top for weeks. FOTJ Apocalypse only sold 52,000 books, that's peanuts to a company like Disney which watches every penny.

11. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    Did you really just quote me saying "Splinter of the MInd's Eye wasn't cannon" to then explain how it's not cannon? That is my point, there was no transition from Episode iv to v that counted other than the opening crawl and the Boba Fett promotion. Then from Episode v to vi there was nothing at all that I'm aware of that would resemble moving the narrative from Episode v to Episode vi. Shadows of the Empire did that, but it came out about 10 years after the movie.

I've got to just throw my hands up in frustration here and say that I've never heard anyone have complaints about being confused by the opening crawls. This is seriously a first for me. Wanting more details from it is one thing, and that leads to book sales for the huge fans like us, however casual movie goers get everything they need in the opening crawl. It's worked well for 6 movies so I don't see why they'd change it up. Skip to where they want to go, explain it for 30 seconds and dive right in. This is only the biggest movie franchise of all time so let's not create problems where they don't exist.

12. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    I think it would be interesting to have a Legacy Trilogy it doesn't necessarily have to be with the comic books I am just talking about the Skywalker Legacy that doesn't involve a main focus on Han, Leia and Luke.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    No, what I was saying is that if Chewie is alive at the end of ROTJ and dead in the beginning of VII, it has to be explained somewhere in VII, whether its in the opening crawl or in the movie's dialogue.

ugaaccountant likes this.
  14. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Their was something between episodes five, and Six, the marvel comics Star Wars series that started in 77, plus the Archie Goodwin comic strip, and the Ewoks cartoon was before ROTJ, and the Droids comics, and cartoons took place before A New Hope
    The Droids comic actually goes into a New Hope, and their was a crossover comic between Droids, and Ewoks, so their was EU during the OT, it just wasn't addressed in the movies.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I know that. It wasn't an issue because nothing important ever happened in the EU back then.

16. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    Hopefully they'll do some "man on the street" interviews about this to determine what's needed, because clearly there's great division on here.

I'd never even considered Chewie not being dead in this. He's been dead since 2000 as far as I'm concerned. I know that news got out to a much broader audience than just readers as well. But yes, he'd be another they couldn't just ignore.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    NOT on your life - ask a hundred Star Wars fans what they want for the ST and you'll get a hundred different answers.

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ignoring the standard-and-meaningless EU GOOD/EU BAD debate (although I have to say that if "more cohesive story going forward" is referring to the "new" EU, that's the best news I've heard all day. But I think I've gotten on that soapbox often enough at this point), I'm disappointed if not particularly surprised to see how many people seem to have just flat-out ignored the debunking of those statements.

Er, this didn't actually happen.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The devunking of what statements?

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Pablo Hidalgo@infinata 40m
    @stern_man More than 140 chars allow. Nutshell: story group is about ensuring future storytelling meshes better far more than in past

(So, yeah, EU 2.0 will synch up together better, but there is this whole EU 1.0 thingie first...)

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There's so many directions that an EU 2.0 could go. What media will be covered? What events will be covered in what media?

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

:p

InterestingLurker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Somebody should make a GIF replacing the Death Star with some sort of ST image and Alderaan with a bunch of EU books.

24. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    What not George Lucas' head? lol

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    For which?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.