main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Uh huh.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Good luck with coming up with something better than a falling moon.

4. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    It's family friendly....Chewie got sent to the farm and lived happily ever after with all the other lap dogs.

Immortiss likes this.
  5. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Really? It seems that most people here are sure they know it's fate.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Indeed. Some of the highest-quality EU material published IMHO were the PT era comics and "Shatterpoint," i.e., stories that alternately used the galaxy-spannning story as a backdrop, centered on "minor" characters, told regional (contrasted with galactic) stories, and/or only used major movie characters in minor/supporting roles.

7. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Does anyone know if folks from DR/LFL look at these boards? If they do then they must be aware that a lot of people are very invested in the existing post Jedi EU. Some kind of statement on where it fits in (if at all) wouldn't break anyone's balls. Personally I'd be happy with a clean restart post ROTJ (Crucible tied a nice bow around the EU box for me), I understand that others don't feel that way though and if that scenario comes to pass then I sympathise. I just think it would be better all round if everyone knew where they stood.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That's true, there shouldn't be a NEW GALACTIC THREAT all the time, the galaxy doesn't need to be destroyed every few years. EU fans have been saying this for years now.

But I'd also just like to say that the status quo isn't really sustainable, either. The EU has to promise something more than background and minor things eventually, otherwise there's a lot less incentive to stick with it. You can only read so many stories about that bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell. It just sorta becomes irrelevant if it's nothing more than "hey, check out this tiny irrelevant story that doesn't matter, it totally explores the motivation of that one alien standing in the background in Ep VII".

Since this is Star Wars, it's about balance.

black_saber and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    ITA. Also, it's easy to say they shouldn't have done this or that in the post-ROTJ EU now that we know new films are coming. The fact of the matter was we were all told there weren't more films coming - and that the era was open for the publishers with the license to do what they wanted within the LFL framework.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    We were talking about what they should do going forward.

11. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm specifically talking about the criticism that has been leveled at the EU as it stands now.

12. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I can't wait till we're all debating how canon the EU 2.0 is and the nonstop arguments over stuff like "But in this EU comic, that character falls in love with this new character so OBVIOUSLY he must show up in episode 8" or "Will this EU event be mentioned in episode 8?". You know...the same arguments we are having now but now we have a whole new EU and less knowledge of its its more-or-less-or-equally canon as EU 1.0. This is gunna be fun :D

EDIT: Do you think EU 2.0 is going to be more canon than the first EU or just like EU 1.0 (assuming its not used) where its just a bunch of add on events that are just there to keep us entertained but aren't meant to be serious canon or have any impact on the films?

lbr789, newdawn12 and darklordoftech like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

It'd be great to have a story that has an ending, though. When does any long-running multi-media tie-in franchise actually get those? (Which, if there isn't any more post ROTJ EU made, then it ends at Crucible). Stack 'em all together and line 'em up. That's your story.

"Shatterpoint" was brought up a post above you and it's an excellent point as to how spin-off materiel can work and can be handled. It's a great read and it doesn't directly affect anything inside of the movies, however it does provide lots and lots of insight and motivation to the character of Mace Windu, which actually makes the character better. That's when it all clicks and what you get out of tie-in books, not moon-on-wookie big-scale shocks but deepening and enriching the world of the film you're watching.

Both Dave Felloni and Chee / Hidalgo mentioned a more cohesive continuity going forward, so that would mean stuff like, say in the latest Star Trek movie there's a reference to "Mudd's ship" that they fly to the Klingons and if you read "Countdown to Darkness" comic tie-in, you find out about how they got "Mudd's ship". Now, it's not as if somebody wrote a comic in advance and then the movie tied it in, it worked backwards. The movie has XYZ plot point and then a various spin-off materiel fills in the who/what/where of XYZ. However, if the film viewer doesn't know a damn thing about XYZ, it doesn't matter. Since Abrams grand plan for Star Trek was pulling together threads like that, and with this new "story team" at Lucasfilm, expect to see those things happen.

Basically, the entire point of a tie-in materiel book is to add shading in between the lines, not draw the direction of the lines. That's what the movies are there for.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You might find it interesting that Star Trek tie in material isn't canon.

Back to wars, can we expect a "Tatooine-1" and a "Tatooine-2"?

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Except there is the whole Legacy Comic volume 1 and 2 series' that were left out. And Crucible was a terrible finale. The Unifying Force worked but not Crucible.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Nah, the movie-writer, Bob Orci, certified any tie-in's he worked on as canon, so that includes the game and the comics.

Roberto Orci: OK, based on that then with you Anthony Pascale as a witness, I hereby declare anything that we oversee to be canon.
    TrekMovie.com: OK! Do we need to get that in writing? Do we need to get the ghost of Gene Roddenberry to notarize this?
    Roberto Orci: Let’s call his son Rod, I’ve got him on speed dial.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    tvtropes says the opposite.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    See, now it's a semantic argument because, yes, it was not canon beforehand, but the guy who currently works on the Star Trek film and tie-in materiel flat out said "I herby declare anything that we oversee to be canon." So, I mean, how much more official can you get? They tried to get the ghost of Gene Roddenbery to notarize it!

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant that tvtropes quotes Orci as saying, "It's not canon."

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

They gotta update their sources, then. Actually, the long sordid history is (which is laid out the Countdown article on Memory Alpha which has links to the timeline of events) is that someone got his in grill about canon of the first "Countdown" mini, he said it wasn't canon, then later on in the above interview about a year later, he said it was. So, yes, it popped in and out of the canon rabbit hole for a bit, but now he has hereby declared it canon.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    thanks BigAl

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Don't we have enough to worry about with SW canon? Now we're worrying about Star Trek canon. :p

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Also, I read the interview you linked to and it seems that Orci gave in to fan pressure. I, unlike many fans, prefer that canon include as few things as possible, not as many things as possible. And I hate when creators give in to fans.

24. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Ecellent point. =D=

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. Don't grab the glowy end

Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2013
    Yeah. If EU 1.0's fate is to be a story that has a definite end, then so be it. But I'd like it to be a satisfying ending. Over the next two years before Episode 7 comes out, write one last major series starring Ben, Allana, Jaina, and Vestara that gives us a strong conclusion for the big EU characters. I could be a lot happier with that than a "suddenly cancel the Sword of the Jedi series, and we never see the word 'Vestara' written again" scenario.

Vthuil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.