main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    They've killed off large parts of the New Jedi Order several times already... and yet they've still got a lot of Jedi. It's rather irritating to me and leads to an alternate meaning for the old K.I.S.S. abbreviation.

Keep
    It
    Small
    Stupid!

2. Crankcase

Crankcase Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2012
  3. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Please no. Don't bring Mace back. Samuel L. Jackson can but as some other character but not Mace. We don't want a bunch of "clones", "cyborgs", etc running around in this movie

4. May the Horse be with you

May the Horse be with you Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    I fully agree. I love Samuel L Jackson and I love Mace, but bringing him back 50ish years older or as a clone would show a lack of ideas.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The question is, what does Arndt think of the EU, since it's been heard that he's a big fan himself? Will he salvage some of it, borrow from it, or ignore it completely?

6. May the Horse be with you

Nov 1, 2012
    Where did you hear that?

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Hear what?

8. May the Horse be with you

Nov 1, 2012
    That Arndt is a big fan of the EU. I've missed that report.

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    It was stated somewhere on these boards that he grew up liking the OT and was happy to write Episode I.

10. May the Horse be with you

Nov 1, 2012
    Ah- get you. I thought you'd meant he was a fan of the EU, not just the OT/PT. I think being a fan of the movies won't necessarily make him a fan of the EU. It probably won't make a difference

11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    I wonder if he's even aware of the EU.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm sure aspects of the EU will be retained, Lucas himself has used some of it in the movies after all.

But if they want to change the names of the Solo kids and ignore past stories and events they will do so, and if the movies are good I care not what they do with the EU so long as they fit in with the other movies (and TCW as much as possible).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW is EU

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    My guess is that George Lucas would disagree.

15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Anything lower then movie canon is EU.

Do you even Star Wars canon system?

16. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes its EU... big deal, it also uses stuff direct from GL... so at times it's G-canon at other times its T-canon... which overwrite everything else (Except G-canon). The point is that to expect the EU as it currently stands, not to be contracted in major ways is probably wrong as we've already seen GL overwrite major things from the EU with his films (Boba Fett's origins anyone?).

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Fetts origin was already a mess of contradictions before the movies and it got straightened out anyways. AOTC was just icing on the convolution cake

18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    According to whom? Lucas sees his work (which includes TCW) as a separate universe to the tie-in material, so in his mind at least, it seems as if the books, etc. are the "expanded universe" whereas the films and TCW are part of his own more singular vision. In that sense, TCW is not EU.

And it's for that reason that TCW is less likely to be contradicted by the ST. Lucas' treatments, and the story he forged with Arndt and Kennedy, will be in keeping with that vision.

19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Bull. If it was it would be G. And if everything Lucas worked on was automatically G explain Droids or the holiday special?

20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The "levels of canon" idea is the creation of Lucas Licensing for the purposes of EU continuity management. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas himself hadn't even heard of the system they use. So the LFL canon system really has no relevance to Lucas' own opinion on what's in and what's out.

And Lucas' involvement in the Holiday Special was minimal at best, and in turn that led him to realise that he couldn't afford to hand the SW brand to just anyone.

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    I agree. Although I hope some EU stories are eventually filmed, in one way or another, I'm not holding my breath. Especially the Thrawn Trilogy. It woud be a waste if they didn't adapt at least the best of them.

22. May the Horse be with you

Nov 1, 2012
    I know that the canon system is tiered and GL's vision is at the top, but I would appreciate someone telling me what the different levels are and why they are called what they are.

23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

24. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
  25. May the Horse be with you

Nov 1, 2012
    Thanks for this. Perhaps I should have saved you the time and just looked at Wookiepedia myself. This helps, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.