main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So then we're done arguing "canon," right?

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's likely the movie makers will try to link as much as possible with TCW as the EU, not the books or other stuff. Lucas worked closely on TCW and Filoni has tried to link it as much as possible with the movies, so aside from linking to the PT & OT the ST will I think also reference TCW events. It's almost certain if characters like Boba Fett appear who were in TCW show

3. startravellerearth

startravellerearth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2012
    If Anakin solo dies in the 7th film, or 8th, would he see Anakin Skywalker's force ghost for the first time. And if he does go to space-like heaven, he see his grandfather and Padme there welcoming him.

4. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't think we'll hear mention of Anakin Solo, let alone have him as a character... I mean he's the only EU figure that died we've had confirmation that had a 'kill-order' from Lucas. I expect the ST will just treat him as if he doesn't exist.

Chewie I sort of expect to see and many others seem to as well, and his survival would cause all sorts of continuity problems for the EU. The only bit of the post Vector Prime storyline I can see them really utilizing is Ben Skywalker... Of course, not utilizing doesn't necessarily mean overwriting, it can be done that way or they can go through a bunch of hoops to get it all to work together. I don't know what they'll do to fix the continuity problems, but I'd be overjoyed at the inclusion of some EU elements.

Leia could easily be a political figure or... lets call her the Ambassador of the New Republic to the Jedi and vice versa... the go between if you will. I could see them using the Solo twins and Ben quite easily... though I doubt both twins would have a big role... they'll probably favor one over the other or something.

5. May the Horse be with you

May the Horse be with you Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    The trouble is that by not including major EU elements such as Anakin Solo, many EU works will be de-validated (is that a word?!). Bringing Chewie back is easier to do - missing in action - but the non-existence of major characters or, for example, Jacen not becoming a Sith will wipe out whole series of books. Which raises the question: is anything safe in the EU? If it isn't, what's the point if the EU?

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    o_O The lack of a character being in the next film renders them invalid? I guess Jan Dodonna, General Rieekan, Bossk, IG-88, Lobot, General Veers, and Wes Janson would probably all like to have a word with that notion. :p

And, again, we're not here to have canon/continuity debates.

Esg likes this.
  7. May the Horse be with you

Nov 1, 2012
    Not sure of your point. All of those characters exist in the films and other EU elements. And Anakin Solo has not been in a film. Bynot having Anakin Solo in the film and if his parents, siblings, friends make no reference to him- what is the point of pretending he is still relevant to the EU. I know the EU always has retcons, but sometimes the cracks get so wide you can't paper over them anymore. If we can't talk continuity in this thread, what can we discuss? Is this just an EU wish list?

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    More or less. We're taking the same approach to continuity as LFL does.

krtmd likes this.
  9. May the Horse be with you

Nov 1, 2012
    Fair enough. I do think the EU will find it hard to survive in its current form, but that's just my opinion. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Not a problem.

11. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I wouldn't mind EU stories to be filmed or become cartoons, but I doubt that will happen. If anything, I want them to do what the clone wars did on a few episodes. Make adaptions of the storys, but make them a bit diffrent. Just to make a few things T-cannon.

For me, I could care less if theres no Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, while I would love to eventually see it, they can save that for a EU story latter. The Jedi purge in the Legacy comics, i'd perfer that to just dissapear entirly. And lets say the imperial knights appear 50 years before or after they do in the EU, I wouldn't mind, at least they would be in there.

Theres just a few thing that I think shouldn't be messed with. Like Mara Jade, Jacen, Jania, and Anakin Solo. If they don't want an Anakin Solo in the movie, make him be dead before the movie start. And Ben Skywalker is also a must, not to mention the whole Jania/Jag relationship. I think the big and major things should stay the same.

Brenapp likes this.
  12. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    My thoughts exactly. Well, more or less, anyway.

13. Crankcase

Crankcase Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2012
    The Deal is official now. Let the official announcements begin. :)

[b]No.[/B]

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Don't advertise your own site here or anywhere.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    So, I don't know if this has been brought up, but I've noticed that both Darkhorse and Del Rey are both losing their Star Wars rights at about the same time. And, TCW will be finishing it's 6th season around then. All these things are happening just before Ep. 7. What do you think this could mean for the EU?

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Somebody else'll bid for the license. Or LFL, since it now has the rock-solid Disney financial foundation, will just open it's own comics/books/etc lines and cut out the middleman.

kainee likes this.
  17. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Well there will be a transfer of publishing rights for EU works, most of the time the major authors just follow the rights, but the new right holders will probably bring their own crop onboard as well (happened with Del Rey).

Disney Hyperion will probably get the right to publish the novels while Marvel will take up the rights for the comics. I almost wonder if Marvel will go back and 'revisit' some of their old Star Wars comics or something. Still the transition will take time and I'd expect at least a year between the loss of the rights and Hyperion's release of the next books. If you wanted a point to render something non-canon, doing so after a switch in publisher would be the ideal time, if they would do that... no idea.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Dark Empire was very nearly a Marvel release.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Do you think most of the new material will be set in the ST time period? Maybe TCW will end and a new show will take it's place. It seems like a good time for an across the board marketing shift.

20. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    That would be a good idea... It would be the ideal point to take a long hard look at a new animated series. I'd be over the moon if we got a series that was set between the OT ans ST. I could just see the writers sitting in their room looking at each other talking about what they could do for their first season of The New Republic, and Dave Filoni just looks around at them and smirks as one of them asks. "Who should our villain be?"

He leans forward glances around the room and smiles. "Lets see... New Republic Era, a transition to the sequel trilogy which means we'd want to start introducing the next generation of Solos and Skywalkers... it's obvious really."

There's silence as slowly every writer realizes what he means.

"Thrawn."

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Need to flesh out the PT-OT gap first.

I'm hoping that when* the live action series first starts, Darth Vader, the Emperor, and the Empire are heroes to the people (having just crushed the Seps and "saved" the galaxy from a Jedi theocracy, it seems reasonable enough), and we gradually get to where we find the galaxy in ANH.

*Seems very likely to me that it'll get made-it was financial issues holding it back per Rick McCollum. That's...quite abit less of a problem now.

22. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I've heard about the Dark Horse to Marvel but I haven't heard about Del Rey or TCW. Where'd you get that?

23. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I checked the licenses once I heard about the Sequel Trilogy. Del Rey's license ends in 2014... which means the rights revert to LFL, as part of Disney they'd probably go to Disney Hyperion. I don't know about Season 6 of TCW, but I don't see distribution remaining with Cartoon Network after Season 5, beyond that I have no idea.

24. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Yeah but that hasn't been just since October. Thats been that way for a while. And Lucasfilm is still a company. Its just a subsidiary of Disney. I'm sure they're not required to do licenses internally. But the part about TCW, I can totally see it just moving to Disney Channel or Disney XD. But except for that, the show won't change I agree with you there.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    My original point about all of this is that all of the different media platforms for Star Wars a going to be available at about the same time. I'm wondering what kind of changes or effects we can expect to the EU. Reboot? Stories set at different time periods? New Characters?. We don't know what changes the ST will bring, but they do. We could be looking at a major, line wide, make over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.