main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    But how much of the EU is constantly being reprinted? I'm not talking about fancy "Heir to the Empire" re-releases but when was the last time Lucasfilm reprinted "Truce at Barakua" or "Edge of Victory: Conquest" or some random EU book? If there is Star Wars overstock, it's not because it wasn't declared canon, it's because they're old books and the stores still have copies to sell that they still have stocked. They aren't just constantly re-printing the Jedi Academy trilogy or I, Jedi, when was the last time those books had a press run? The unsold back-catalog of Star Wars books has nothing to do with canon, it's just that new books sell more than old books.

Anyway, it's not as if ep. 7 has to be made whole with the EU so they can sell old books. Doesn't work that way. Star Wars makes its most money on toys, and toys are made when movies are made.

Darth Claire likes this.
  2. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2011
    Well for example, all the Fate of the Jedi books have recently been re-printed in paperback. I doubt those are selling right now given what's going on.

As to older books, I don't know where they come from but they do show up in B&N stores. I don't know if there's a Lucas warehouse or a B&N warehouse but the shelves do get stocked.

3. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Have you ever considered that some people might buy the books even knowing they're not canon? I foresee a whole hipster SW movement. "Pfft, Sequel Trilogy. These old books are much cooler."

But yeah, I agree with the others. No way any book store is going to complain about this. Do you seriously think that the executives at Barnes & Noble (or, say, Waterstones for my fellow Britons) are sitting round a table going "#@£%, Episode VII is going to remove these books from the main Star Wars continuity. We have to get a major Hollywood studio to change its plans now!"?

4. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    the Phantom Menace Novel, sold over one and a half million books, just think how many copies episode seven will sell.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    It's a bit different because those will sell from far more sources than the typical EU novel. I'm sure many of the new movie tie-in novel copies will sell from Target, Wal-Mart etc.

Anyway I'm done with this, just wanted to get this line of thought out there for anyone who is approaching this with an open mind to just how many issues exist.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    On a lark, I checked wookiepedia on even something as big as "Heir" really only got a whole bunch of printings in the early 90s. Dark Force Rising last reprint was in 1993 (aside from a reprint in 99 for young readers) New Jedi Order series Edge of Victory: Conquest 1 was only printed once in 2001 for English markets. The FOTJ books are in paperback now because they first came out in hardcovers, that's just par for the course. Basically, the idea that the ST should fit around the EU so they can move decade old tie-in novel overstock that hasn't been sent back to the presses long time is a bit silly since Disney can, and will, make their own new books, which sell more than old books that they happen to own and probably won't reprint.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  7. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    We are being open-minded. Everyone here has responded rationally and logically to the scenario you suggested. It's just incredibly unlikely.

8. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    You're proving my point. They aren't being reprinted yet they still show up new on bookshelves when a copy gets sold. So there is still a stock of them out there that would be a financial loss for someone.

Again though, let's move on as this is just one small side-issue.

9. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm planning, on getting, the novel and GN of episode seven, anybody else?

Vastor and DarthBreezy like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I checked on Dark Force Rising on Amazon, they have one copy in stock and it's from 1993. Great deal if you can find it! But some books are just straight-up out of print now, aside from online retailers, finding a random bantam-era book clogging up bookstores is probably really, really unlikely. And it's not as if Bantam is going back to press on them. Or I doubt stores are ordering in copies of the Black Fleet Crisis, or that even many of them still exist, or that when the sell "random EU book XYZ" that they suddenly order another one, that's up to the store owner. And the store owner is probably not gonna order it anyway. Because, by this point, it's out of print.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I have every novelization of the Star Wars series (have an awesome '93 paperback that has the entire OT), and every PT novelization in hardcover. I think I'll probably buy the paperback novelizations of the ST just for variety sake (OT in one big, old paperback, PT in 1st edition hardcovers, ST individual paperbacks) sounds like fun! I really can't not buy it, it'd feel weird if I didn't have it, but I don't think I'm gonna shell out for the hardcovers again. Also, it'd be neat to have each trilogy collected in it's own different version.

12. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Plus We'll have the novels of the spinoff movies, I have that OT collection too, same with the PT hardcovers, even have my ROTJ from 83

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ....hate to admit this, but personally drawing a line in the sand now, not gonna buy the spin-off novelizations. Didn't get the Clone Wars novelization. I think I'll keep my novelizations down to just the "saga" films so I have a nifty little Star Wars film adaption collection. I really can't go without having one of the movies, it'd be like not getting the VHS/DVD/Blu Ray.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If Stover does a novelization for a Spin-off I'm getting it.

15. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Understood, latest twitter feed, from JediNews, Palpatine, might be back for seven.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Sith Holocron that the bad guy looks for for evil information about being evil FTW!

17. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    A quick search of one franchise books stores in my area shows 5 copies available within 15km's of my residence. I really don't think they are that hard to get.

Also, this conversation doesn't take the new ebook formats into account. I know several people who have switched to and are reading Star Wars in that format.

What does any of this mean for Episode 7? Nothing.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's pertinent in as much that one of the "Ep. 7 must be EU compatible" arguments is "so they can sell old books!" but I don't think using overstock of books over a decade old, and isn't being reprinted, is going to factor into deciding the narrative direction of Ep. 7 or would even benefit Disney very much since the much more likely thing is that they'll simply make new Ep. 7 compatible spin-off novels.

19. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Again, nothing I said means anything so far as Episode 7 goes.

Anyway, as I mentioned, since books seem to be going the way of the ebook(thus meaning nothing is ever out of print), so this is all obsolete. Amazon says it sells around 3 ebooks for ever print book that it sells - which would be actually serve one side of this discussion over the other.;) They might well sell more "old books" if they stick to the existing continuity, but I very much doubt book sales will enter into their thought process. All Disney will care about is a strong opening weekend and first couple weeks - by then they will have another movie in the theaters. One they will then care about more than Episode 7 for another couple weeks.....then repeat.:p

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, Disney does care about Star Wars outside of opening weekend box office for all of the delicious licensing extra profit, which is why they shelled out billions for it. And the books are a part of that added revenue (Disney ain't exactly tearing it up with John Carter or Lone Ranger merch). So, not to turn this into a print-is-dead-thing, but when it comes to more cash for the Mouse, they're gonna make more selling physical book copies as opposed to e-books simply because they cost more. So, for Ep. 7, it's very likely they will publish out by their own label, (Hyperion books has put out a She-Hulk novel, a character that Marvel owns, but Disney just sold Hyperion's adult catalog and instead is using Disney Publishing Worldwide and "intends to focus on book franchises that have synergy with Disney television properties, like the popular Castle series." that sound familiar?) instead of having to keep the Bantam / Del Rey novels and characters and continuity (and also have Bantam & Del Rey reprint those books, which would split it up into non-Mouse-related profit). Start fresh and all Ep. 7 cash is for Mickey, by Mickey. It's all Disney's Star Wars now, we're just waiting for it.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    Yes, i'm sure Disney is looking into getting out of the Del Rey contract in a reasonable manner. Note that it hasn't happened yet as books are still coming out from Del Rey. I agree though it likely will happen as soon as it makes sense financially.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    This is what i' enjoy waking up to

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=12986&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I would appreciate little inside nods to the EU, but beyond that I hope that neither Lucas' treatment nor MA's script were written with a single thought whatsoever on how to best honor or build on the EU. I think the previous six Star Wars films, and nothing more, should be the only material they feel compelled to honor. All the rest is just glorified fanfic that has no business dictating Star Wars films, which are still the only Star Wars the vast majority of people will ever experience or count.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Agreed because, as I mentioned a few pages back, skipping a generation in a generational saga would be really, really weird when there's 9 movie Star Wars marathons playing.

Darth Chiznuk and Darth_Pevra like this.
  25. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Toy sales are still the number one revenue generator in the history of Star Wars. Still gonna need to partner with Hasbro for that.

Also if your telling me that the primary concern of Disney is going to be Star Wars a few weeks after it opens, when the new Avengers film comes out, I simply don't believe you.

Sure they care about $$$$$$$$$, but I believe there will be a difference in how this all works compared to the days when LFL owned everything. Budgets will be set by Disney and LFL won't have the freedom to do anything they want, and most certainly will not have real freedom to compete against other Disney projects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.