main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I love Empire, it's damn awesome. Tales also, some of my favorite stories are there. I have all the collected prints. Really love all the different themes, stories and art styles. Great stuff.

Revanfan1 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not sure. I just think that explicitly overwriting the previous EU in-universe is much more unfair to its fans then merely retconning it away out-of-universe.

3. Darth Xandroc

Darth Xandroc Jedi Padawan

Aug 18, 2013
    Okay, so EU stuff I'd like to see in Episode VII...
    The Heir to the Empire Trilogy (obviously)
    Jaina, Jacen and Anakin Solo, properly portrayed as in the LOTF and FOTJ series'
    Mara Jade-Skywalker, Ben Skywalker and Vestara Khai, again portrayed as in the NJO, LOTF and FOTJ series'

The only questions that REALLY bother me are who is going to play the kids and Mara Jade (if they appear). Any thoughts???

mes520 likes this.
  4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    You're going to be disappointed, and I'm an EU fan.

Darth Xandroc likes this.
  5. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, none of that is gonna happen, almost certainly.

Krueger likes this.
  6. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2011
    I'd be fine with the "C3PO was telling these stories at the Vader Bonfire" wrap-up, but we'd still have the problem of 40 years worth of actors age that has to be explained in 1 opening crawl. No matter what specific parts they want to retcon, the majority of it is the only logical way the story could have gone after episode vi while honoring the spirit of the OT. Luke and/or Leia have to reestablish the Jedi, the empire has to be defeated, Palpatine and Vader have to be dead, Han/Leia have to explore a romance, etc. etc.

7. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    At the risk of sounding rude, you have an unusual definition of "majority".

8. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    Sorry, I hate repeating in the same thread. But to sum up why majority is the right word, most of the things that happened in the EU are irrelevant to the next movie.

Things that must have happened:
    Luke and/or Leia have to reestablish the Jedi, the empire has to be defeated, Palpatine and Vader have to be dead, Han/Leia have to explore a romance

Things that are pretty important:
    Luke or Leia or Han have kids or grandkids, but not too many to overwhelm the story. We have to balance how many main heroes there are in the movie.
    Chewie, R2D2 and C3PO are accounted for. A heroic death offscreen is not out of the question for them, as long as it's acknowledged.

Things that don't really effect the new movie and can pretty much be written however they want to:
    Anything else. For example, just like it doesn't really matter if you read one series of books to know whether or not you can open up the next series of books, it doesn't matter if the Yuzzhan Vong war happened or not to move forward into the new movies. The big 3 are going to have a past that occurred offscreen for 32 years between Episode vi and vii. Of course stuff happened, it would be silly to pretend it didn't.

Me personally, i'd keep the entire EU and pick up right after crucible, see my numerous previous posts for reasons why. But it would also be possible to pick up with a blank slate with only the things that "must have happened" and still be keeping the spirit of the OT which is the stated goal of the new trilogy.

werpudel and ScorpionJedi like this.
  9. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I agree with all that. I just think it's a very unusual use of the term "majority" to say that's what makes up the majority of the EU.

ugaaccountant likes this.
  10. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    It's like, if someone who's never read a book asked me to explain the EU. I'd talk about the things that must have happened. If they specifically asked about Chewie or Lando or something I'd mention what's up with them. But we'd obviously not discuss the plot of LOTF or NJO because the plot is something to be explored in the books, not the major things people have to know. They also wouldn't care what happened to say Jacen because they've never heard of him.

11. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    Don't know where to put this BUT:

Haven't been in here in a while

BUT just watched the recent episode of EP Daily tV show and it says that OR just a rumor that Darth Sidious aka the Emperor will be in on Episode 7

Any further news in here about that???

12. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

So far, just a rumor. Though it's probably likely he will make some sort of appearance in the ST: a Force vision, holorcon, or be the villain.

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Best Tales story was without a doubt Equals and Opposites, the Kyle Katarn during the Yuuzhan Vong War issue. I always wanted to read The Lost Lightsaber, the one with a young Ben Skywalker finding Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber–non-canon or not, it was the only comic with a Ben Skywalker illustration.

14. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    One of the things I liked about Tales was that you could enjoy them without even paying much attention to "canon." It gave a lot of freedom to the authors, something that many stories were severly lacking as the universe grew more and more complex.

Revanfan1 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  15. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    ...why would you want this? Why on Earth would you want this?

In LotF and FotJ, Anakin Solo is dead, and once-joker-turned-philosophical-good-guy-turned-messiah Jacen Solo is an ineffectual villain.

Vthuil, aleja2, Mange and 2 others like this.
  16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, I'd be alright if post-RotJ material got Newharted. But outside of a few minor quibbles, the PT and Dark Times era EU has been spot-on.

aleja2 likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I agree. Dark Times and PT EU are of higher quality than say the stuff post ROTJ.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree with that too.

19. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I have actually read almost no PT EU material. I was thinking of getting around to it but... meh, there's more interesting stuff on the shelf right now, to be honest hah.

20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Well yeah... to be really honest, there's almost always something more interesting to read for me than any SW novel. Now if we're talking something to watch, SW is always a top contender.

21. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    The last one I read was Plagueis and I consumed that book in a day and a half. It's not only a great SW novel but, in my opinion, a great book in general. Really enjoyed that one.

22. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    Do you find that all people have the same personality in their childhood, teen years, 20's and 30's? The kid grew up in a fairly logical manner if you believe the dark side is seductive. He was on a knowledge quest, he got some knowledge with certain dark side spin, and he went for it.

As to "messiah", I think that's mostly directed at his Unifying Force heroics. He really wasn't depicted much differently than other "one with the force" moments, such as Ganner Rhysode's and several of Luke's. It was a one fight thing and other than that he largely came across as a Padawan nearing the Knight rank for most of the NJO series.

Darth Xandroc likes this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I find Jacen Messiah downright creepy, especially because he became like that directly after torture and brainwashing.

aleja2 likes this.
  24. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm more puzzled by your assertion that the "proper portrayal" of Anakin Solo is the series in which he's been dead for over a decade. I mean, I thought he was a pretty boring character for most of his existence, but that's harsh.

HWK-290 likes this.
  25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Labyrinth of Evil was pretty good too. I read it together with the ROTS novelization and Dark Lord: The Rise of DV as part of a trilogy, but I liked LOE the best of the three.

Mange likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.