Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    Was it? Jacen turned into a weird inhuman messiah thingy and Jaina always remained bland tough pilot person. Captain Cardboard is uninteresting either and Tenel Ka got shoved to the sidelines. Tahiri and Kyp Durron are about the only interesting characters from the "next generation". Anakin, who did have potential as guile hero, got killed off.
    JediGirl_Angelina and Vthuil like this.
  2. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd actually go farther: the single biggest failure of the NJO was its lack of success at properly developing a "next generation", because Force Smuggler is also right to a point: if ever there was a time for one to take over the books, that was it.
  3. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    Browsing around Wookieepedia and... well, apparently Jacen is a midget.

[IMG]
  4. MillionthVoice Jedi Grand Master

star 2

Kind of self-defeating to kill the next generation off then, merely to play on the older generation for effect. You can't both have your cake and eat it.
    Last edited by MillionthVoice, Sep 10, 2013
  5. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    I dunno, I simply think that in the end there were far too many books. I enjoyed most of them, reading them as a kid but just glancing at that shelf there are way too many. It watered down the material.
    Exploring other avenues of that universe would've been more fun than watching the same folks over and over again.
    Jedi Merkurian and kubricklynch like this.
  6. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    An intellectual midget.
  7. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 4
    Amen to that. Anakin Solo died literally within books of becoming a really interesting character.

And what on earth is going on with that picture?!
    Last edited by Vthuil, Sep 10, 2013
  8. HWK-290 Jedi Master

star 2
    In short? Caedus has very little leg beneath the knees.

Some artists are the best.
  9. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    He could be half-kneeling to get his maximum Force Lightning on!
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    I get it. :p
    HWK-290 likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    Poor Jacen grows when he becomes Super Sayian.
  12. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    The Denningification of everyone doesn't count. Besides Luke Han and Leia are still running around doing everything. They dropped the ball on the characters. They haven't given them interesting story arcs since NJO. Forced Jag and Jaina apart in favor of Jaina and Zekk for a good bit and then the love triangle. Tahiri was completely ruined and made a mockery of her NJO self. We haven't seen Kyp do anything interesting since NJO. Everyone in NJO was interesting and could have held future storylines together. The post NJO next generation? Of course not. They're double the ages Luke and Leia were when their adventure began and still running second fiddle to the Big 3.
  13. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    I don't think everyone in NJO was interesting. Maybe 20% of the characters, but they even managed to mis-characterize Luke Skywalker.
  14. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    I'd say the perfect jump-off point was actually the conclusion of the JAT.
  15. Jedi Comedian Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Really? At the end of Champions of the Force, Luke, Leia and Han are all still in their prime, and while there's a new class of a Jedi, they're hardly in a position to take over saving the galaxy on their own.

It's not even really a new generation - a lot of the new characters are older than the Big Three. Kyp is the only one who could genuinely be considered a new generation.
  16. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    The problem is that the authors seemingly didn't give two ***** about the new characters (except for the occasional pet character) and therefore they are boringsauce without proper inner conflicts.
    Last edited by Darth_Pevra, Sep 11, 2013
  17. Normal_Nerds Jedi Master

star 1
    The problem was jumping around in time to avoid actually dealing with fall out.
    There's about ten years inbetween NJO and LotF with only the DN trilogy in that timeframe. Why? So Ben can grow up a bit?
    Think of all the adventures and character development that could have occurred involving the Jaina/Jacen generation in that time. Such a missed opportunity.
    kubricklynch and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    The time jump was a problem as well.
  19. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 4
    I actually liked the time jump. After decades of non-stop crises, the GFFA really deserved a bit of a break.
  20. Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Master

Agreed, but I think it might have worked better if it was accompanied by just another year or two or three of out-of-universe time jump as well. Unlike most, I actually liked the concept of Legacy of the Force, but they should have gotten rid of Dark Nest and done a bunch of smaller scale, not-GFFA-threatening stories, with the new generation, and for a little bit of a longer time period. Maybe something about Jaina and Rogue Squadron, Tahiri getting over her ordeals in the Vong war, Jacen's travels, or the redemption of the Vong on Sekot. Lots of possibilities before diving into the next epic NJO type of plotline that weren't properly taken advantage of, and would have added more weight to the eventual LotF books.
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    i'm going to assume that the GFFA name will be Retcon back to the New Republic in this new trilogy because truthfully the Federation has been done to death.
    Last edited by mattman8907, Sep 12, 2013
  22. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    how is 5'10 a midget?
  23. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    Those proportions are anything but correct. The artist is not very skilled.
    Also, it was a joke.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    A better question would be: How is the character in the background of that pic possibly 5'10? The proportions are the joke.
  25. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    His left hand seems to be based on Warhammer 40k proportions/sense of anatomy.

[IMG]
    Ryus likes this.