main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Was it? Jacen turned into a weird inhuman messiah thingy and Jaina always remained bland tough pilot person. Captain Cardboard is uninteresting either and Tenel Ka got shoved to the sidelines. Tahiri and Kyp Durron are about the only interesting characters from the "next generation". Anakin, who did have potential as guile hero, got killed off.

JediGirl_Angelina and Vthuil like this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'd actually go farther: the single biggest failure of the NJO was its lack of success at properly developing a "next generation", because Force Smuggler is also right to a point: if ever there was a time for one to take over the books, that was it.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Browsing around Wookieepedia and... well, apparently Jacen is a midget.

[​IMG]

4. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013

Kind of self-defeating to kill the next generation off then, merely to play on the older generation for effect. You can't both have your cake and eat it.

5. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I dunno, I simply think that in the end there were far too many books. I enjoyed most of them, reading them as a kid but just glancing at that shelf there are way too many. It watered down the material.
    Exploring other avenues of that universe would've been more fun than watching the same folks over and over again.

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    An intellectual midget.

7. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Amen to that. Anakin Solo died literally within books of becoming a really interesting character.

And what on earth is going on with that picture?!

8. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    In short? Caedus has very little leg beneath the knees.

Some artists are the best.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    He could be half-kneeling to get his maximum Force Lightning on!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I get it. :p

HWK-290 likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Poor Jacen grows when he becomes Super Sayian.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Denningification of everyone doesn't count. Besides Luke Han and Leia are still running around doing everything. They dropped the ball on the characters. They haven't given them interesting story arcs since NJO. Forced Jag and Jaina apart in favor of Jaina and Zekk for a good bit and then the love triangle. Tahiri was completely ruined and made a mockery of her NJO self. We haven't seen Kyp do anything interesting since NJO. Everyone in NJO was interesting and could have held future storylines together. The post NJO next generation? Of course not. They're double the ages Luke and Leia were when their adventure began and still running second fiddle to the Big 3.

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't think everyone in NJO was interesting. Maybe 20% of the characters, but they even managed to mis-characterize Luke Skywalker.

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'd say the perfect jump-off point was actually the conclusion of the JAT.

15. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Really? At the end of Champions of the Force, Luke, Leia and Han are all still in their prime, and while there's a new class of a Jedi, they're hardly in a position to take over saving the galaxy on their own.

It's not even really a new generation - a lot of the new characters are older than the Big Three. Kyp is the only one who could genuinely be considered a new generation.

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The problem is that the authors seemingly didn't give two ***** about the new characters (except for the occasional pet character) and therefore they are boringsauce without proper inner conflicts.

17. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    The problem was jumping around in time to avoid actually dealing with fall out.
    There's about ten years inbetween NJO and LotF with only the DN trilogy in that timeframe. Why? So Ben can grow up a bit?
    Think of all the adventures and character development that could have occurred involving the Jaina/Jacen generation in that time. Such a missed opportunity.

kubricklynch and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The time jump was a problem as well.

19. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I actually liked the time jump. After decades of non-stop crises, the GFFA really deserved a bit of a break.

20. Don't grab the glowy end

Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2013
    Agreed, but I think it might have worked better if it was accompanied by just another year or two or three of out-of-universe time jump as well. Unlike most, I actually liked the concept of Legacy of the Force, but they should have gotten rid of Dark Nest and done a bunch of smaller scale, not-GFFA-threatening stories, with the new generation, and for a little bit of a longer time period. Maybe something about Jaina and Rogue Squadron, Tahiri getting over her ordeals in the Vong war, Jacen's travels, or the redemption of the Vong on Sekot. Lots of possibilities before diving into the next epic NJO type of plotline that weren't properly taken advantage of, and would have added more weight to the eventual LotF books.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i'm going to assume that the GFFA name will be Retcon back to the New Republic in this new trilogy because truthfully the Federation has been done to death.

22. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    how is 5'10 a midget?

23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Those proportions are anything but correct. The artist is not very skilled.
    Also, it was a joke.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    A better question would be: How is the character in the background of that pic possibly 5'10? The proportions are the joke.

25. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    His left hand seems to be based on Warhammer 40k proportions/sense of anatomy.

[​IMG]

Ryus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.