main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Got to link to the interview? Cause you're saying even the movie people will have to clear stuff with the comic and book people, thats never been the case at Lucasfilm and I don't see it suddenly becoming the case.

2. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    the comics, and books will have to be cleared by the tv, and film people, it's the way LFL works now, just listen to the forcecast interviews withe Jennifer Heddle, Pablo Hidalgo, and Leland Chee.
    You can find the forcecast on theforce.net main page.
    It's one of the changes Kathleen Kennedy made, when she took over from George Lucas.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hasn't Pablo Hidalgo been at Lucasfilm since around the time Moses freed the slaves from Egypt?

KOBBRA and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

I have, they haven't talked about how the EU is going to be treated moving forward with the ST yet.

5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Other than his brief appearance as the fat kid at the beginning of Jurassic Park, yes.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He must be millions of years old!

7. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I've read the first couple of issues of the Brian Wood pieces and loved the theme and feeling I got from it. Very OT vibe, nothing too fancy.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    They say that if you look back through old production photos of ANH, you can find someone who looks just like Pablo Hidalgo in the background, appearing exactly the same age he does now.

Jedi Merkurian , LawJedi and Krueger like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah so he's the Dick Clark of Lucasfilm?

10. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I haven't kept up with this thread or the goings-on with the EU lately, but I have to say I really love the idea of a total EU reboot to keep everything consistent moving forward. The EU has gotten way too bloated to work with the ST or have any hope of bringing in new fans, so it feels like something that needs to happen, and this is definitely the time for it.

11. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

I think thats all but a given at this point.

12. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    It sounds like it. I'm just voicing my approval. :)

13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Although I am not opposed to a reboot, I have to say there is no reason for it...just don't mention the EU background in the movies. When ANH came out in 1977 the movie-goers didn't know the details of the clone war, we didn't know Darth Vader's background, nobody knew what happened to Luke's mother. All of those details were not in the movie but we able to followed the plot anyway.

If the big three are in the ST you could have Jaina Solo and make no mention of Anakin and Jacen Solo. You have Ben Skywalker and you can simply mention his mother passed away. People don't always sit around reminiscing about their deceased relatives. EU readers will know what happened and non-EU readers won't have a clue they are missing anything. The only thing I believe is a stumbling block is the death of Chewie. The audience may wonder where he is. You can mention he died in a war or since we never saw his dead body he could be brought back easily in a way that EU readers would accept. If Spock can come back from the dead in Star Trek, then I'm sure Chewie can survive.

14. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

That would work IF they want to use what has been set up in the EU. They may not want Jaina Solo in the ST, which would require them to scrap large portions of it.

And of course there is the big different between Jaina's past and Lukes. You don't need to know what the Clone Wars were or what happened to Lukes mother to understand who Luke is. If they include Jaina and writer he faithfully to her EU character, you HAVE to be able to convey and understand the baggage she has. The viewer doesn't need to know Vaders background because Luke doens't know Vaders background and it doesn't inform Lukes character at all. Killing her twin brother who became a Sith SHOULD (if its written well) inform Jaina's character.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    This has been discussed several times over in this thread. Your blind spot is that the writer of the OT had complete freedom to shape the Clone Wars into whatever they needed to be - to provide some very effective subtext for the OT. This is not something you can do with the current EU in relation to the ST. Which is why it will have to go, or the ST will suffer for it.

I'm sorry. You will get over her. In time. I promise.

16. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

The Oranges to Oranges comparison would be Jaina Solo and Luke in Return of the Jedi. If you have no idea who Luke is or the previous story being told Luke thinking he is a Jedi Knight is a delusion, who this Yoda person is, why Luke didn't finish his training, see Obi-wan lie to him and believe Obi-wan along with Luke for 2 movies, see the relationship between Luke and Leia before he learned she was his sister, etc... that movie is going tomake less sense and you're going to care a lot less then if you saw the first 2 movies and get allt hat leading up to RotJ.

17. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That and also just think of Star Wars complete viewing marathons as to how much narrative water under the bridge has passed and changed the characters, basically Jania and Ben are already into fully formed protagonists, that would be rather jarring from the end of ROTJ to the beginning of Ep. 7. That transition between Ep. 3 & Ep. 4 is smooth as butter, they even flat-out put Threepio and R2 in the damn damn hallway that they start Ep. 4 in! You couldn't have that smooth a transition from Ep. 6 to Ep. 7 if Ep. 7 was made to fit perfectly post-Crucible. If I wanna watch all 9 movies back-to-back you can't cram in The Entire Post ROTJ EU in between for narrative flow. I can't sit for that long! I'll have to go out and live my life at some point!

19. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Frankly, even if you ignore EU ideas, most of the ideas presented on this board are way too complicated to fit into that clear narrative you describe. Or more importantly, the fresh start that Lucasfilm probably want, in order to allow accessibility to a new audience.

Layers and layers of Sith or Imperial bureaucracy that we didn't know about? Villians who have been secretly plotting in the background for almost a century? Years of off-screen adventures and complicated in-fighting amongst the factions of the GFFA? I just don't see it.

20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    It's actually Apples to Oranges.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    No, "apples to oranges" refers to a bad analogy. It's a pretty good analogy.

Although a better one would be more like going straight from TPM to ROTJ.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

The common saying is Apples to Oranges, but that saying means you are comparing two different things.

By saying Oranges to Oranges I mean that Jaina Solo being hte main character in Episode 7 would be the same as starting the OT with RotJ.

23. John R Pleak

John R Pleak Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2013
    markdeez33 and sluggo1313. like this.
  24. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Okay, I read the rules, I hope what I'm going to say complies. Am I the only one who read the post on StarWars.com about the release of the ST? If I remember correctly it specifically stated the storylines for the ST would be ORIGINAL stories. I do, however, believe there will elements from the EU incorporated into the story, much like what was done with TCW and will be done with Rebels (Inquisitor). That being said, I do think there will be some serious conflicts with "established" EU lore. I only hope the hardcore EU fans can appreciate the movies for what they are regardless of any inconsistencies. WHEW! I made it without mentioning continu....CRAP!!!!!!!!

black_saber and newdawn12 like this.
  25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I was saying the same thing, plus we could get a zahn spin-off novel made into a movie, not soo much the thrawn trilogy since the actors are alot older and it takes places around five years after Return of the jedi.

If anything about thrawn, the could either change the timeline on when the events happen which would be a sequel trilogy or they could do an animated movies off the three books and not change the timeline.

Heres what I found of the force cast and maybe upcoming zahn projects to be movies or tv shows!http://www.forcecast.net/story/home/ForceCast_273_The_Galaxy_Is_Reading_154431.asp

Not saying its going to happen, but theres talks about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.