main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    They should just go with original stories, and maybe they could make reference to Thrawn in the new movies, saying something along the lines, they thought Thrawn was a tough enemy, but he's nothing in comparison to *insert villain here*, just to make EU purists happy.

All in all, I'm pretty sure they're going to overwrite a lot of the existing EU material, with these films. It is what it is. I've never been much of a fan of the Post-ROTJ EU. Some of it is downright ridiculous. I don't think the Vong would be a good way to go on-screen, either.

I'm totally fine with them getting rid of the Post ROTJ EU. Just make it non-canon, and there's no problems. To the fans of those works, that material will always be there for you to view, but since most of it just isn't that good, I think it's safe to say that LFL/Disney have no problem wiping it out. It's George's fault, in the first place, for letting the authors go crazy with material in that time period.

Darth Kickass likes this.
  2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    do you guys think they'll go with the pointed-tip (ala prequel trilogy) blade or the rounded tip blade like in the original trilogy for the lightsabers?

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I wasn't aware there was a difference, but either way that has nothing to do with this thread.

4. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    you are bigger buzz kill than buzz killington.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  6. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I am confused by this. You are sending mixed signals.
    Also, expanded lightsaber tips are a good fit for an expanded universe thread, no?

7. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    [​IMG]

In regard to sabre tips I won't see the movies unless they honour this set of Kenner instructions.

BigAl6ft6 and LawJedi like this.
  8. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    If they're gonna render good chunks of the Holocron non-canon, they can at least throw good old Leland Chee a bone and cast a look-alike in the role of a Jedi in the ST---or better yet, Chee himself in a cameo role, like this:

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Interesting tweets from Pablo Hidalgo, and an article about how Lucasfilm is dealing with continuity going forward.

http://lightsaberrattling.com/?p=26

@stern_man More than 140 chars allow. Nutshell: story group is about ensuring future storytelling meshes better far more than in past
    — Pablo Hidalgo (Infinata) July 29, 2013

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@infinata 12 Sep
    @StarWarsJedinyt Hadn't heard that before. The heart of the canon is Episodes I-VI and TCW.

MaGnUs ‏@lordmagnusen 19 Oct
    Infinata Hey, are you doing any work for "Rebels"?
    Expand
    Pablood Hidalghoul ‏@infinata 19 Oct
    @lordmagnusen Yeah, I'm lucky to be part of that team.
    Hide conversation

SW Beyond the Films ‏@SWBeyondFilms 15 Sep
    So these Standalone Origin movies.... changes won't be limited to POST-ROTJ EU Folks.
    Expand
    Pablood Hidalghoul ‏@infinata 15 Sep
    @SWBeyondFilms turns out 'beyond films' will be an interesting spot to be in a future dominated BY films :)

Ryus likes this.
  10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Where is that from? I don't recognize it.

Also, I love your avatar.

11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Nice find. So seems like it hints at an entirely new continuity but with cherry picking from the old EU And edits to all EU time periods, not just post RotJ.Hope I read that right... but if so conseptually this is what I wanted[face_dancing]. Even better more characters means far better stories over all even if each character, save a few major ones, get less screne time... characters being overused currently is a major problem in the current EU. Now to hoping my fav EU characters get reimagined into the new time line [face_nail_biting] let alone if any make it into VII8-}

Darth_Pevra, LawJedi and newdawn12 like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    No dead Thrawn in EU 2.0! And not a good guy, either. Bad guy who sticks around for decades bothering Our Heroes.

13. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I can see it now. Luke and Leia keep taking him down and putting him in that gothic Asylum on Coruscant. But every damn time, he finds a way to break out again and wreak havoc on Gotha... I mean, the galaxy.

TKT, Ryus, ScorpionJedi and 2 others like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    A Thrawn-led breakout of New Republic captivity could be the coolest thing ever, I'm so down with that.

Ryus and LawJedi like this.
  15. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    So do all these changes mean that current post-Rotj EU would still be honored to some capacity?

16. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    let me guess Thrawn corrupts one of the New Republic officials which causes the corrupt official to kidnapped someone close to Leia and Luke has to take drastic measure which cause him to kill the official and go on the run as a rogue jedi.

LawJedi likes this.
  17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    That remains to be seen, but personally I'm hoping for a situation where moving forward we have the movies, the Clone Wars, Rebels, and all other EU starting over from scratch to bring all of these things into the same level of continuity, with all of the former EU being on various lower levels.

18. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    And then Luke is a sad, sad Jedi for 8 years and grows a sadness beard and practices archery, until Mara Jade shows up disguised as a maid and steals one of Padme's headdresses... no wait, this sounds like a horrible story.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  19. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    It means that we will se places, characters, and possibly ships in future content like movies, and tv series, as well as comics, and books, think TCW,
    and Rebels, the new continuity, is a combination of movies 1 to 6, TCW, Rebels, for The movie era, the books, and comics appear to be
    The Flagship Star Wars comic from Dark Horse, Maul Lockdown, Darth Plagueis, because this book was launched, and edited by George Lucas.
    The Empire, and Rebellion book trilogy, and Kenobi by John Jackson Miller. Their are also the Darth Vader Dark Times series, as well as an OT era Comic mini series, and the Darth vader TV specials, if they are stories.
    As well as current RPG's from Fantasy Flight Games. All these have the approval of the Story group, and because of this, they all share the same continuity, the old canon system is gone. Pablo Hidalgo, and his team are keeping the departmrnts talking to each other, every department knows what the other departments are doing with the Star Wars universe. From now on if you read, a new book, or comic, it will be in the same universe as the tv, and films, every time you watch a film from now on, you'll know that it's connected with a book, or comic, or tv series, but they will be supplemental.

20. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I am a little curious if they will end up porting any of the previous EU into the new continuity, but I'm not really too concerned about that. The real question I have is how they will distinguish the new from the old to make it easy for new fans who want to keep up with everything that's part of the official chronology.

I am a bit confused though. I didn't think we knew so much for certain yet in terms of how they were proceeding with the continuity and how many of the current stories had the involvement of the story group. I thought it was more a lot of informed speculation based on somewhat vague statements by Hidalgo, Chee, etc. Have I missed something more concrete that confirms all of this?

Ryus, LawJedi and Circular Logic like this.
  21. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Very good point. This pretty much confirms they are talking between departments... but about what and how much of it in the story group is the question. Suppose this really boils down to how much the story group knows about episode VII. They clearly are in the know about at least some of it but maybe not all of it.

This is a lot of speculation about vague statements, but I do feel its a pretty logical interpratation of it. I greatly approve of everything being connected, I recall Dave Filoni mentioning multiple interrpratations of Mandalorians in an interview lately for instance (was it IGN? Forget...). So Id be pleased to learn we no longer have 10 different meanings of what Mandos are like based on 10 different story lines (ie The Clone Wars, Karen Travis, KotOR for instance all portrayed the vastly different).

I feel at the very least the story group will be responcible for cleaning up stuff like that up, maybe they'd approve break off sects of Mandos though... but I'm digressing, back on point. If more than this (which is my current viewing of what I just read between the lines) it could mean anything from minimally like priorly mentioned to that they have much more involvement with everything and they even sit in with all stories written. So they will be involved saying for example this EU character is fine for adapation in these ways in or make a new character instead here for example if writters of something wanted to use a certain EU character. Or in another example 'hey this jedi is very very similar to EU character ____' so lets talk with the script writer and see if they'd be willing to have it become their version of this Old EU character...

Clearly they'd do way more to it than that, just clarifying this story groups involvement portaining to the EU as its this threads topic... beyond the EU they'd atleast approve the general story outlines to prevent others from conflicting with say the new trilogy (clearly top priority) and better still work in conjuction with it even better if they can (random example: episode VII has inquisitors... Rebels wanted minor dark side minions for Vader... so story group says minor dark side minions for Vader are inquisitors and they must be used like ep VII's inquisitors but here's what they can't do since it spoile Ep VII...). For security reasons maybe they'd not see the finialized scripts to minimize leaks and such, but they greatly involved up to at least X point... maybe 1 guy on story board would be informed of say plot twist like Vaders Luke's dad to watch out for conflicts in other stories but only 1 so that employee would know they'd be looked at if it leaked out.

Well, that's a pretty detailed extrapolation of a few vague statements... suppose I'll quit before I get too far out there. Lol

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

I don't think so, it just seemed like over time more and more people were coming to the conclusion that the EU won't be entirely kept in continuity.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the 90s to Disney sale EU would end up like the Marvel comics run which was stamped a lower level of canon but elements of it ended up being worked back into continuity anyway after awhile.

I can see a scenario wherein current Star Wars creators aren't beholden to the old continuity but there'll be subsequent twists to incorporate the old EU elements into the story. Basically the DC-New-52 route. (t's a line-wide reboot, stuff still happened but maybe not exactly like you remembered)

Ryus likes this.
  24. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    not unless you have Luke come back and have him have most of the New Republic fleet on his tale when he's flying his X-wing and he ends up finding an New Republic Officer that he notices is force sensitive.

LawJedi likes this.
  25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Of course we don't know who's in the story group. It's entirely possible that one or more of the movie writers is at least involved on some level.

Ryus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.