main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Fair enough. Your previous posts and mine seem to coincide anyway.

Back to the nub of the matter, the contradiction (even if you take away Disney buying it) was always going to happen though, simply because of the size of the EU, it would be impossible not too.
    While a TV show that could go on for years if succesful was always going to trump a book or computer game, in terms of what constitutes canon. Lets face it, TCW was meant to be 3 years and there was a 5 year series out of it :confused:
    Here there is a 19 year gap to play with the oppertunity of bringing Darth Vader into it, the markerting potential there is huge,

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think we will see a lot of dark times material in the future.

First there is rebels.

Then there are the spinoffs, which will most likely follow OT characters.

And then we might even get some avenger-style movie featuring the spinoff characters and Darth Vader. At this point the spinoffs might become even more important than the episodes.

And if that SW-avengers is successful, well, they'll continue milking it as long as cash is to be earned.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think I've been misunderstood. I meant that EU going forward will be less likely to be overwritten by the films and TV simply because efforts will be made to limit its scope much more than in the past.

Circular Logic and Immortiss like this.
  4. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    that's always been the case though, so while accurate, and what pablo keep saying it, really isn't any new information than we've had the past...35+ years.

while that's certainly a possibility, that's not how i read that.

Pablo says that the EU will "Not (be) trashed" which implies that there is at least some internal effort to salvage part or all of it.

As for "the thing is none of the SWEU creators knew a TV show was in the works at the time. Things are different."

To me that reads that EU creators in the future are well aware that there is a cinematic universe that they will have to work around when writing their works (as opposed to pre-TCW era novels etc). Again that's something we already knew.

that doesn't speak at all to what will happen to the extant EU. TCW did rearrange the timeline of the Clone Wars significantly, but it didn't overwrite those works from existence either.

black_saber and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  5. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    It may not be trashed but a good portion of it is probably going to be gone or not even mentioned.

I would hat for Dark Horse to lose the comics as they do some great work. I would not want it back at Marvel. No thanks.

As for the novels, meh, theyve been terrible since TUF so thats no big loss. I haven't read a new Star Wars book in forever, no desire since I kind of felt like everyone involved was running on autopilot and no one really cared.

6. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    It won't be trashed, just ignored. :cool:

7. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Disney owns Star Wars. Disney owns Marvel. Dark Horse and Marvel are competitors. Disney is not going to license the Star Wars franchise to a company that is a competitor. Once the current contract ends in (it is believed) 2015, it will be a Marvel property.

I think by ignoring it, they are in effect trashing it. :D Even the most radical pro-EU people with their ridiculous retcons won't be able to retcon the post-ROTJ EU with the ST.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    The thing is though, Marvel and Dark Horse go after completely different segments of the comic market.

Marvel is primarily focused around the huge number of in-house superheros, with some other minor title. Dark Horse by comparison is basically the king of licensed properties within comics (Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, etc.). So really they're not in competition for the same buyer unlike DC.

Marvel simply won't dedicate the same amount of resources to Star Wars that Dark Horse currently does, so from a business standpoint (which is what the mouse is going to look at) does it make sense to keep it all in house and have 100% of a much smaller pie, or license it out and get 50% of sales that could be 3 or more times bigger (or whatever). Of course, it depends on how the profit sharing is split, but it may actually be more profitable for them to license it out.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Dark Horse's sole "competition" would be IDW for the licensing crown.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's a good point, would Marvel Star Wars crank out as much Star Wars comic products as Dark Horse does? I dunno about that one. But post-Marvel merger, I think all of Disney's comic book products have moved over to Marvel (They let the licenses expire for the other smaller publishing houses that did their stuff beforehand).

I have this weird fantasy of seeing a return of Marvel and right on the cover of their first issue Star Wars issue is Jaxxon in a crazy retconing adventure but that's just my more twisted side imagining that.

Immortiss likes this.
  11. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Sorry, but I just don't buy that. Someone who buys Star Wars comics isn't going to care whose logo is in the upper left hand corner of the cover. It's all the same audience.
    Whuh huh whuuuhhhhh????
    From a business standpoint, it makes far more sense to give the business to your own company and not a competitor.

My friend, I had this exact same argument over a decade ago regarding the licensing of the Star Wars Trading Card Games. Decipher had the Star Wars license, but Hasbro, which George Lucas has a considerable stake in, bought Wizards of the Coast. When that happened, I informed everyone that this meant the end of Decpher's Star Wars license because once it expired, they would give the licensing rights to their own brand, not a competitor. I heard a million and one reasons why I was wrong and why that would be a bad move and why they would never do that. Then the moment Decipher's contract ended, they announced WotC would be making an all new SW:TCG game.

12. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    That's not my point there. I'm just saying that at the current time Marvel's comics are aimed at a different target (superhero fans) than Dark Horse's (fans of various franchises). Sure there's some overlap, but its not the same kind of rivalry for audience as Marvel and DC. DH's comics are not taking market share away from Marvel's current properties. Unlike, say Batman vs. Iron Man.

Dark Horse is running what, 4 or 5 simultaneous Star Wars arcs? I don't see Marvel pulling writers and artists off other projects of in-house superheros to match that output. Unless they have one heck of a cash infusion from Disney for doing the work to hire all new staff, they aren't going to put out as many different titles at the same time. (That's not to say that that cannot happen, its just less likely)

Having not followed the Trading card games ever, I wasn't aware of that and makes for an interesting counterpoint.

100% of a smaller pot may not be as valuable to the bottom line as more of a bigger one. In the case of the card game, the output volume remains the same, so profit is directly tied to how much of that output you own (in house vs. licenced). in the case of comics, the scale of production does come into play as to whether as much product could be produced by the in-house company as licensing it out. If it can be, yes, it does make sense to move it to marvel. If not though, then there's room for debate.

Depends how much Disney and Marvel are willing to put into producing the comics compared to Dark Horse. A transition is definitely more likely, but not guaranteed.

13. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Why would you consider that less likely? Disney isn't exactly a cash poor, mom and pop outfit. I think they could manage to scrape together the working capital needed to hire new artists and writers for Star Wars comics. (When I say "new artists and writers" I mean new for them, not necessarily new to the industry) I think the folks that run Marvel have a good idea of what it would take to launch a couple new titles, and could arrange to have those resources in place in a heartbeat.
    I can't understand why you're so certain it would be a smaller pot. Marvel is the biggest name in comics. They have the most distribution channels, the networks in place, the resources and the talent. Chances are when Star Wars makes the move to Marvel, Disney will be keeping a bigger share of a bigger pot.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    I should clarify. I'm not saying that i'm certain they wont. it would be in their best interest to throw a bunch of money at it to get sales.

The question is will they? They just paid 4B for acquisition, plus 200m per film per year, plus whatever else they're funding. No doubt they have a huge budget as one of the largest companies on the planet, but its still a budget. How much do they have available at this time to throw at star wars comics?

I'm just saying that depending on how they want to structure funding that licensing is an option, not completely negated by the existence of Marvel.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Oh man, if they brought Jaxxon back from EU Limbo this whole thing would be worth it.

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Whatever they have to throw at Marvel Comics is peanuts compared to the bigger projects of Disney.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Since this all speculation, if it bounces back to Marvel, I would want Dan Slott and Peter David on Star Wars (and David does handle a chunk of Marvel's license stuff, just sayin'. He did, however, said that his one comic book experience with Lucasfilm was a tad wonky so that's why he hasn't been back. We did get Skippy the Jedi droid outta it, though! yay!)

18. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    jaqen, KED12345, lbr789 and 3 others like this.
  19. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't know how Peter David is doing right now, but he had a pretty bad stroke a year ago.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Yah, he's still workin'. Guy's a machine. Well, maybe a slightly less efficient machine but he's still cranking them out. New X-Factor #1 in the new year!

21. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    What a legend.

Pro Scoundrel and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Pablo's full conversation

1. [​IMG]
      Cujo@86Cujo
      @DarthAxia @infinata lets just say I remember who Jaster Mereel was and a rabbit named Jaxxon ;)
      Expand
    2. [​IMG]
      Daryl Axia Brown@DarthAxia
      @86Cujo @infinata I totally remember Jaxxon and Jaster Mereel.
      Expand
    3. [​IMG]
      Cujo@86Cujo
      @DarthAxia @infinata loved that era. Fact remains that Lucas(arts) ignored the novels, and rewrote even his own mytho on screen.
      Expand
    4. [​IMG]
      Pablo Hidalgo@infinata
      @86Cujo George was always candid when asked in interviews: he doesn't read the books and said his films were only beholden to his films.

Hide conversation

4:33 PM - 16 Dec 13 · Details

Tweet text
      Reply to @infinata @86Cujo

Dismiss

Image will appear as a link
    5. [​IMG]
      Cujo@86Cujo
      @infinata here's hoping Thrawn gets some love from Abrams. And thank YOU for the candor. I was def bent when Fetts origin was rewritten.

23. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Immortiss likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I do get the distinct feeling, if not in the ST, at some point in Star Wars various different ventures across TV and film in the upcoming years, we will see ole Grand Admiral Thrawn at some point. I think if you had to toss 2 EU characters that would "survive the cut" to whatever new post-ROTJ continuity will emerge, I get the feeling it would be him and Mara Jade leading the pack.

ScorpionJedi, Immortiss and Ryus like this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think we'll see Prince Xizor in one of the spinoffs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.