main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Holy crow, Huey grew up to be a pyromaniac!!! Jeez, that's dark.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing all of the ancient jedi/sith EU lore being adopted into canon. Perhaps all the way up to Darth Bane. But now that we are finally getting a sequel trilogy, I'd just as soon relegate post RoTJ EU to being alternate universe and clearly non-canon.

3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I've been arguing for the last year that the EU slate (especially post-ROTJ) would be wiped clean, but now that people are becoming more accepting of that possibility I'm really starting to call my assumption into question. Rumors of Thrawn and Ben Skywalker... I'm now bracing myself for Jaina, Jacen, and Mara Jade rumors to pop up soon. I hope I'm wrong about this, but for the first time I'm beginning to see a distinct possibility that even if the EU is overwritten, they could end up sticking with the same characters and at the very least the Trawn Trilogy could be kept intact.

Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  4. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I simply don't see it happening. You have to remember that when these rumors come out, they have to try to relate them to something, and all they have now is the EU. So, when they get a rumor about an actor, they do their best to match it to something from the EU.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm still feeling confident (or in denial) that we won't have Thrawn or the Wonder Twins in the ST. Ben Skywalker isn't a terrible name, although I wouldn't mind something more original. Names like Jaina, Jacen, and Mara Jade however are the stuff of nightmares and I hope Lucas forbids them into the canon.

Darth Raiden and Mystery Roach like this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well Zahn did say that at the time it was written, Lucas intended the Thrawn Trilogy to be a bridge between the OT and the ST. You're probably right, but I'm more playing devil's advocate to myself than anything to prepare myself in the off chance that they do go this route. I always felt like I could get inside GL's head, but this new group... I just don't know anymore.

7. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, if it's true that JJ is more of an OT fan than PT, that makes me think he might not be an EU fan. I'm not sure why he'd go EU style if he wants to recapture the OT.

8. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    A lot of that early EU tries pretty hard to capture the vibe of the OT. I doubt JJ has delved too far into it, but I'd say a majority of hardcore fans from the OT era are at least familiar with the Thrawn Trilogy. A name like Ben is a pretty obvious fit though, and if Hidalgo or Chee brought it up I can't see it meeting with much objection.

Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  9. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Anything which happened outside a film, TV series previous to Dec 13 isn't going to be kept as canon, with all new comics, TV shows or films will ALL be considered canon.

10. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Why do you think so?

11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That's been my assumption as well, but nobody has actually come out and said that. And even if none of the previous stuff remains canon, there's no guarantee that they won't bring those characters into the ST.

12. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Boba's armour isn't even anything special anymore. We've seen so many other characters wearing it over the years such as Jango Fett, Pre Vizsla, Tobbi Dala, Montross, Jaster Mareel, even Obi-Wan himself and a thousand other Mandalorians. Forget about a retconned backstory - Boba's already lost half his mysteriousness when his armour became as common as the average Stormtrooper.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Not necessarily, no. Clint Eastwood westerns show how it is done.

14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Here's my problem with the Clint Eastwood analogy. If the point of retconning Boba's origin is to keep him mysterious, it would seem to follow that they'll keep his helmet on. If not then this would be an even more pointless retcon than it already is. On the other hand, with the helmet on, Boba is almost entirely expressionless. Clint carried those movies and the lack of knowledge of his character (which you do get some of btw) by being very expressive. He was often quite humorous in a dry sort of way and a lot was conveyed through his eyes and facial expressions (More than anyone, Leone is known for extreme close-ups). With a helmeted Boba you get none of this. He basically goes back to being a non-character, which Eastwood never was. It also misses the point of making a movie about that character, which let's face it is simply an excuse to show off his gadgets and sell toys, and you can guarantee those things regardless of who's in the suit.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It would seem to follow? I don't think so.

He can remove his helmet a couple times, no problem. It makes the audience identification with the character easier.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't think the Thrawn Trilogy recaptures the OT in any way that JJ will want to borrow. Force stealing lizards? Blue art critics in white marshmallow suits? Insane Jedi clones? No Sith?

No way.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Iv read a few Zahn interviews, (some a bit vomit inducing when it comes to Mara) but I have never ever seen that. Not even in his Anniversary Heir book.
    Could you show me the quote please

18. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/02/star-wars-sequels-timothy-zahn/

“The original idea as I understood it— and Lucas changes his mind off and on, so it may not be what he’s thinking right now – but it was going to be three generations. You’d have the original trilogy, then go back to Luke’s father and find out what happened to him [in the prequels], and if there was another 7th, 8th, or 9th film, it would be Luke’s children. The Thrawn Trilogy really would have fit into the gap,”

Dra--- I'm not saying the Thrawn books do capture it. I don't like them myself. But a lot of OT fans think they do, and for all we know Abrams may be one of them. Besides, even if those books are recognized it isn't as if they have to bring all of the story elements into the ST. It's likely that only the characters would carry over.

Darth_Pevra Even if they did show his face a couple of times, which I think they could go either way on, that still doesn't leave a lot of room for expression through the majority of the movie.

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They could do an iron man...

Darth Archimage and Dra--- like this.
  20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It's not saying Lucas intended it to be a bridge though, merely that Zahn himself put it in that gap between them.

21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I guess so, but that would be taking a lot of liberties with Lucas's story if it wasn't something Lucas specifically wanted, since Zahn got to invent the children that Lucas would presumably be using in the ST. Therefore, it is conceivable to me that Lucas has always just accepted those children as the ones he would use if he ever got around to making the ST.

22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I know.

I don't believe that for a second.

It's possible they may do this, but I just can't see them using Thrawn unless they alter him quite a bit. Which suggests to me they should just make a new character.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Makes sense. Lucas specifically nixed a few plot points in The Thrawn Trilogy (Noghri being called Sith at first, C'baoth being an Obi-Wan clone at first) - but he didn't nix the children.

xezene, Ryus and Mystery Roach like this.
  24. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Dra--- Oh I quite agree. Bear in mind that I'm in no way arguing for what I want them to do. I've said time and time again that I don't want any EU in my ST. I'm just trying to make peace with the possibility that some elements could work their way in after all. And of all the characters in the EU, Thrawn and Mara Jade are undoubtedly the most popular, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised by the inclusion of either of them at this point, even though I would be very much against it personally. I honestly don't think they will be used, but I think I'm reaching a point where I don't feel nearly confident enough to bet on anything anymore.

DarthBreezy and Dra--- like this.
  25. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Yep. Critics will complain of lack of character development and all that jazz

.I'm hoping that the popular elements at least stick around like Mara, Thrawn, the Skywalker/Solo kids, the Vong etc.

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.