main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I think I stated why not as well as I could in the last paragraph of my last post, but for the sake of continuing the discussion...

It would be totally fine if it was just Thrawn. Or if it was just the Yuuhzaan Vong. Isolated events that happened, ended, and basically existed in a vacuum, something the characters could make light, passing references to, and that's it. If Han mentioned when they "fought off the Remnant", and that was it, It would be fine. But they aren't isolated incidents. They were massive, galaxy changing, character-altering events that cant just be "mostly ignored" in future content. Not to mention the "extra baggage" that come along with those stories , the ancillary, unignorable new characters that new episodes would be forced to incorporate. (And on a side note, if we are going by EU canon, 30 years after ROTJ is, I believe, either during or right after the Vong war. Even harder to ignore something that just happened.)

The difference between the post-ROTJ EU and the rest of the EU stories (and, ironically, what made the post-ROTJ EU admirable in the first place) is that the post-ROTJ EU took risks. They made massive progressions in terms of character development and galactic events. Theres nothing in the between-trilogy EU, or the between-episode EU, that wasn't mostly inferred by the films, and certainly nothing that would necessitate retroactive changes to the films in order to make them fit in.

Lets imagine if The Clone Wars series had been released before Episode 3. Would that have meant Episode 3 should have started off with Anakin searching for Ashoka, or for her to be mentioned as a crucial character multiple times in the narrative (which I guarantee you is a discussion that would have taken place on these very boards)? Of course not. Episode 3 is a direct continuation of the story of Episode 2 and that's the way it should be. Episode 7 should be a direct continuation of Episodes 1,2,3,4,5, and 6. If some small, isolated incidents happened in between, fine. But the post-Jedi EU stories are not small, isolated incidents, and for the writers of Episode 7, that poses a problem that they simply should not be expected to have to deal with.

2. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Like a couple of sailors, that pair, I tell ya..

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That's probably why C3PO is so nervous all of the time.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Artoo needs closed captioning.

5. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    The EU post ROTJ is doomed, end of story. Nothing has been confirmed, but their are strong suggestions to believe it. For one, the Sword of the Jedi trilogy appears to be on hiatus and is likely to be cancelled. And for another, you have the Casting Call which don't fit the descriptions of any of the children of the Solo's and Skywalker's during that time period. And finally you have the story treatments that originated from George, and we all know how he feels about post ROTJ EU.

It still surprises me how some are in denial of this.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hate to sound like a broken record here, but I would think setting the ST a couple hundred years after ROTJ would've been the most sensible option since it would take place after all of the existing EU material. Therefore, it wouldn't upset the fans unless they were expecting an OT reunion.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    But then it wouldn't be a part of the saga, even if they called it such. It would be a reboot.

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Um... no.

Reboot: to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning.

What you're discribing is simply a time jump with new characters and backstory but all previous events and characters remain canon. Its no different than Star Trek (Original Series) vs Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I agree that it wouldnt be part of the saga though, it would be a new saga.

Circular Logic likes this.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I think you're losing sight of the fact that the average, casual viewer doesn't know the first thing about the EU. Heck, I bet 90% of the people the saw E3 in the theaters is blissfully unaware that Chewbacca has "died". You cannot make major changes like that off screen.

Typical, easily explained things like getting married and having kids is fine. Ridiculousness like everything that has happened just will not work. Imagine sitting down to E6 for the first time and the crawl said "Luke, Leia, Lando and Chewie are returning from Tatooine having killed Jabba the Hutt and rescued Han..."

10. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

Isn't that probably exactly what most casual fans are expecting though?

Dra--- likes this.
  11. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Hey guys, here's an interesting tidbit of news from the Facebook page: "I want new Star Wars movies to be consistent with Expanded Universe":

https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-wa...istent-with-Expanded-Universe/622285481118739

So if they're putting out a book this soon as in 1 year out from the new movies and the Disney owned Lucasfilm are giving the go-ahead, maybe some aspects of post-ROTJ EU could in fact stay?

Circular Logic and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    While I like the idea- I suspect that they might end up saying something along the lines of "Alternate timeline - the Vong gave up and decided not to invade"

13. Han Burgundy

Jan 28, 2013
    Well sure, it wouldn't fit the textbook definition of a reboot, though that's essentially the role such a film would fill. But the broader point is, a sequel trilogy with no direct connections to the rest of the saga wouldn't be a sequel trilogy. It would be its own thing, which is why most people aren't discussing that as a serious possibility for a film titled "Episode 7".

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    As stated about your greater point already, I agree. It wouldn't be a sequal trilogy but a new independant trilogy set hundreds of years later, plus talk of such a story is 'premature', at least till after episode IX (or XII);)

Han Burgundy likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Guess I'll have to wait another 20-30 years.

16. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Essentially, Crucible, and Legacy vol 2, are the last of Post ROTJ EU 1
    The DH series that is coming out with Darth Maul, is part of TCW, and is canon.

EU 2 will have the Marvel comics, coming out in 2015, and the next book that comes out, that is set post ROTJ, It will probably be a lead in to episode seven.
    Then they can start filling the gap, between six, and seven, through Marvel, Del Rey, Netflix, and future TV series, and projects.
    maybe a couple of animated features, through Lucas animation. No doubt Rebels will plant seeds for a post ROTJ cartoon.

Lucasfilm now has access to Netflix, and the Disney, and ABC channels.

17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    When the news of the ST was first announced, I considered the possibility of it being set a couple hundred years after the OT. I don't think that would necessarily remove it from the saga, depending how it was done. If they brought back Threepio and Artoo with the descendants of the original characters and had the story deal with direct consequences of the previous films, only on an extended timeline, then it could work brilliantly. I gave up on that idea a long time ago, but if they didn't bring the O3 back it could have been an interesting option for the conclusion of the saga.

18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm of the strong opinion TOR is in no way a continuation of the saga of KotOR I and II, its an attempt to end KotOR I and II and start a new saga with some weakly written cameo roles that don't even really fit the characters from I and II (they felt like totally reimagined versions of them, and poorly written ones at that). While yes, such ideas could possibly work as a saga continuation its extra hard with Star Wars Trilogies since these two sagas are a story about family... a distant desendant can only do so much plot wise as proven with Legacy comics. A gap of a single generation is great for Star Wars but many generations later feels gimicky if an attempt to continue a family saga and not set up a new story...

Gosh, that last bit sounded like I was defending an aspect of TOR, I feel sick now...

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I want the first Marvel arc to have Force Ghost Jacen Solo facilitate a time-travel reality-rewriting romp for the Skywalker and Solo Bantam/Del Rey novel offspring to save the galaxy and wipe the continuity clean all the way back to the "Yub yub" party on Endor! It'd be way more dramatically satisfying than just "Yeah, the post ROTJ EU didn't happen" twitter post.

Krueger likes this.
  20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    But if Jacen Solo does it we might have a temperal paradox when he prevents his own birth!!! 8-}

BigAl6ft6 and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Irate Bounty Hunter

Irate Bounty Hunter Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2014
    I kinda like the idea of having a movie set hundreds of years in the future. That way Luke could appear briefly as a hologram carried by R2-D2 in order to reveal some ancient Jedi secret to the main characters. Or perhaps Abrams would have him travel to the future, though he would have to be very careful with this approach. And that would be it. Han and Leia can continue to live on in our imaginations as perpetually young and without earrings.

One of the themes explored in the Star Wars movies (and other Lucas films) is the loss of humanity in an era when robots are on the ascent. Perhaps in this futuristic Star Wars, humans and aliens alike are ruled by robotic overlords. They view he Force similarly to how the Communist Chinese view religion. The Jedi and Sith are forced to put aside their differences to fight a common foe.

ScorpionJedi and Dra--- like this.
  22. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    It would have to be, as a spin off saga, but LFL might not want to be hampered by knowing what happens in the future, Legacy caused a lot of conflict between Dark Horse, and Del Rey Also, big events from now on will be determined on the big screen, and a future series, would force the creators to get their stories to lead into that future.

That was one of the problems between Dark Horse, and Del Rey.

Ryus likes this.
  23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Legacy and especially Legacy II might be some of my favorite EU comics, but even I can see the logicital issues it created for everyone else especially when talking about two different companies not under the same umberal and LFL in the middle just wanting everything to work.

24. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Sp now we get to see, the new canon, unified under the Story Group. Movies, TV, Netflix, books, comics, all the same level.
    and with Disney, and Marvel's marketing power behind it. The only future the new stuff has to work with, is the ST

25. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004

Actually this reminds me of another part that I forgot about. Luke wouldn't need to appear as a hologram or a time traveler, because he could just show up as a Force Ghost. That would really help connect it to the rest of the saga too. I'm not saying the way we're getting isn't better, but I do think it could have worked as the end of the saga, showing the legacy of everything that's happened so far through the ripples of time, and building directly on those events and character struggles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.