main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I can awnser a bit of part 2,3 and 4, but not too much. Anyways.

2. Comic books, but I guess that counts as books.

3. Aayla Secura and Quinton Vos was in the Prequels, but that's all I know of, wasn't there some refrence to the Thrawn Trilogy with yoda's force lightning baseball mit power? (I only got threw the First book so far)

4. Lucas did order Anakin Solo to be killed, because he thought he would get confused with Anakin Skywalker. But that's all I know.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    George Lucas called the main planet "Courscant" in the prequels, even though the name had originated in Heir to the Empire (go back to early, early ROTJ stuff it's Hal Abadon or something like that). "Courscant" had also been adapted across multiple mediums since then as the "Star Wars homeworld" or whatever term you wanna call it. You know what's also a name that's been used a lot? Jania Solo. Just sayin'.

3. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Just curious, Imperial Knights, could their story be re written without Jania? I'm talking after, and if, the EU is rebooted, could it be done?

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Given that the IKs were the Jedi in the first draft of ANH for all intents and purposes, absolutely they could.

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    This should help:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_C-canon_elements_in_the_films

I don't see at the moment what Jaina has to do with the IK, especially given their origins haven't been fleshed out, her involvement included.

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I heard somewhere that the only thing in the EU that George Lucas refers to as canon is the Thrawn Trilogy if this is true ? then the Solo twins are born in book 3 so maybe just maybe EP7 might be set in real time so to speak & set 32 years after ROTJ so that both the twins are still alive....I think that Anakin Solo will be thrown out & never existed.....the more & more I think about EP7 & the EU I'm thinking there's going to be alot of re-booting as in Chewbacca is alive & well....Ben Skywalker might not exist or be quite young.....Mara Jade ??? who knows .

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

1. Originally Lucas said the EU could not write any material 25 years after ROTJ but later threw that out when he thought EP7-9 would bever be made ..... the Big 3 are on the no kill list .....Lucas ordered the killing of Anakin Solo.....he also ok'd the killing of Chewbacca .....he also told the EU not to write anything around the prequel period .

2. Comic books

3. Quinlon Voss for sure he also appeared in the clone wars t.v series

4. All the clone wars T.V series & as above killing off anakin solo

8. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    They have some choices here, they are not bound by the EU nor are they restricted by it, they could cherry pick it.
    They could say we like this name and character lets use them, and they may give a simailar plot arc or not.
    Daala, Pelleon, Thrawn, are all excellent empire type characters
    Mara Jade, Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker are also great characters.
    But there story doesn't have to be what the EU says it is.

The bottom line is the script writer has a lot of idea's to work with already within the EU out there, and they can cherry pick anything they want and add new stuff they think they will work on film.
    I am sure Lucas has the input to say, that EU plot point is good we should use it. Or this plot arc is less or more of something I already envisioned for 7-9.
    The EU has so much going on we are bound to get some similarities at some point during 7-9.
    And will some will say afterwards I loved this, it was just like this EU plot arc or vice versa and say I hated this plot arc it was just like the EU.

And some will be none the wiser as they know nothing about the EU, because they haven't read a single book, or watched a single cartoon.

9. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    4. He provided some notes for the Jedi Academy trilogy and apparently did some editing and gave guidance for Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. The Force Unleashed, The Clone Wars, and Shadows of the Empire multimedia projects were all primarily dictated by George Lucas as well.

DarthBoba likes this.
  10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    jedimikey, Esg and DarthBoba like this.
  11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    IMHO, that article makes the opposite point. There'd be no reason to write a piece about how the SW universe exists in comics, etc. unless the general public were largely unaware of the fact.

Game3525 likes this.
  12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, the folks who continuously put the novels on the NYT bestseller lists beg to differ. http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chap...26/Star-Wars-novels-still-on-bestseller-lists

Esg likes this.
  13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I have no doubt that the "Average Joe" knows full well that there is another part of Star Wars that exists in the form of comics, novels, video games and the like. However, I also have no doubt that a large percentage of them don’t particularly care for them and instead only cares for the movies. I also doubt that they know of the importance of Jacen and Jaina Solo, Mara Jade, the Vong invasion and pretty much a lot of other major things that exist in the EU.

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Curious how they keep buying them in quantities sufficient for them to be staying on the NY Times bestseller list for years after release, then.

krtmd likes this.
  15. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    That's a good point, are these existing fans or new fans buying this, maybe a mix of both ?

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    The article doesn't really get into that. Still #8 is really good for any book, let alone books based on films. FWIW SW is the only film-based EU that hasn't gone dormant since the early 1990s; all the other movie titles (Aliens, Predator, and The Terminator are the big three that I remember) have either ceased or gone on hiatuses from time to time. SW hasn't.

17. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Somewhere around 150 million tickets have been sold in the U.S. for screenings of the original Star Wars. Add in the five sequels/prequels and you end up with over 500 million tickets sold altogether, and that's not including home video releases or TV screenings (both of which have increased the exposure of the franchise, especially to later generations). It works out to just under 100 million tickets per movie.

The novels, OTOH, have collectively sold at least 160 million copies over 300+ titles. Let's be generous and say 300 million novels have been sold: each SW novel then averages around one million sales--compare with the 100 million tickets above.

To me, that puts the significance of the EU into perspective.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That math doesn't match up - 100 million tickets per movie, 600 million tickets total- 300 million novels- that's 1 novel per two tickets, not 1 novel per 100 tickets.

19. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I corrected it above--you're right.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Might be interesting to see how much has been spent on EU material by fans, how much has been spent on movie tickets, and how much on "tie-in merchandise".

21. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    So, the EU could be said to represent a pretty hefty share of it.

23. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Keep in mind that inflation will skew the data, especially for toys and box office revenue for the OT, both of which are quite a bit older than DVDs and most of the books and video games.

24. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    If those figures are even a little bit accurate, I would say the EU represents enough of a share for Disney to respect the EU and not destroy it.

25. tthatch

tthatch Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2012
    No off-site advertising, and badly offtopic to boot. -Darth Boba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.