Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
  2. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    It's our lot in life
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 2, 2014
  3. Beezer Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Not at all. Principle photography will be done and they could easily finish some FX. The Hobbit had a full trailer a year in advance - and it was a professional trailer with actual scenes from the movie, not like what we've seen from Avengers 2.
  4. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Feb 2, 2014
  5. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    I was just watching the interview of Lucas and Kennedy when he sold Star Wars to Disney and he even says in there that he has scripts,books,comics a treasure trove to pass along to Kennedy and Disney. Sounds like he counts EU along with PT,OT.
  6. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    No, he doesn't (or didn't, to be more precise).
  7. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes he did

No he didn't

Uhuh

Nahah

Really he did

Damn it he didn't

Rabbit season

Duck season

[IMG]

Serious guys provide links. :p[face_laugh]
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 7, 2014
  8. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    And of course it ends with the compromise solution: "Elmer Season" :D
    Force Smuggler and Ryus like this.
  9. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1

At about 1:30 he speaks of this treasure trove.
  10. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    T-R-, InterestingLurker and Dra--- like this.
  11. Dra--- Chosen One

star 4
    The Story Group will be deciding what's canon moving forward. Elements of EU will survive but probably be altered. The old post-ROTJ continuity is gone.
    T-R- likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    There's a huge logical leap between "treasure trove of Star Wars stuff to draw from" to go to "by the way, the post ROTJ EU is canon and will dictate the direction of Episode 7". If he is including the EU, it's a resource for ideas and influences.
    T-R-, Dra---, Darth_Pevra and 3 others like this.
  13. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Now this one has me scratching my head...

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=15461

Jedi Academy trilogy rerelease in hard cover in late november... now this month is the 20th anniversary of its release so its late for an anniversary edition and its really close to 2015 when all books being released will be canon supposedly.
    • Are they just trying to sneak it in close to a new wave of stories? Which to me seems risky of confusing fans if its no longer canon...
    • Just think it will sell better closer to the holidays?
    • Or am I being paranoid wondering if its getting edited to fit with the new canon as defined by the story group cause its listed as 100 pages shorter than my edition of the book?
  14. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    When in doubt, do not read into it.
  15. Pro Scoundrel Force Ghost

star 4
    Please no more Kevin J. Anderson. [face_praying]
    Ryus likes this.
  16. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Its Kevin J Anderson... I was planning on burning it not reading it. ;)
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  17. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe this is a hint that he's doing the episode seven novelization.
  18. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    LOL, I enjoyed those stories. They weren't literary masterpieces but they were fun.
    Iron_lord and Dra--- like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    I was a young teenager and a main character was a teenager who was best friends with Han Solo and then went on a crazy Force/dark side trip. That series was directly hardwired into my DNA at the time (and it was all in paperback!).
    Iron_lord and Dra--- like this.
  20. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    ^yes, till Kyp betrayed Han time and time again... and everyone forgave him for killing billions just because he was a confused teen and Luke said he learned his leason [face_sick]

I found them even more nauseating than the time I was on a tour boat returning from the great barrier reef during a hurricain (or is it cyclone there, forget). There must have been over 100 people seasick out of their mind to the point they where all sprawled out on the floor and the crew was cleaning up the mess... and his other books only got worse than that.

The only salvagable part of those books imho was Yavin 4 as the setting and the concept of using Exar Kun as the villain (though 2 year old Jacen Solo defeating him kinda killed the final delievery of that plot line). The force powers in that book started to approach The Force Unleashed levels, and his next book Darksaber surpassed it by force throwing a fleet of Star Destoyers (including a Super Star) across a solar system in a matter of seconds.. :oops:

Kevin J Anderson should stick with Dune where he can write about Emperor God Worms all he wants and never return to a GFFA. We don't serve his kind here, he'll have to go to other conventions.
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 10, 2014
    TheBBP and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  21. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm hearing that it's probably been cancelled.
  22. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    Ugg. I had forgotten about that.
  23. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    I'll look it up for the annotations.
  24. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Jacen doesn't defeat Kun - he defeats a bunch of Kun's monsters. And that's through letting Luke effectively take control of him.

And in Darksaber- there was no SSD in the fleet thrown across the system (an SSD does arrive shortly after the fleet is thrown though).

The trick involved all of the students working together, on the top of the Great Temple (a force-enhancer created by Kun) and channelling all their power together into one guy - who did the throwing.

And died immediately afterward from the damage that much Force-channelling did to his body.

There was a hardback released - way back in 1994:

Jedi Academy hardback
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Feb 10, 2014
  25. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Same difference, still a toddeler with a lightsaber who defeats the villain. Its facepalm worthy.

I tried but could never stomach rereading a few of the Bantam books, Darksaber included, anyways who cares if its even a blockade runner and not a superstar. Point is it is suchba bad plot device and overkill of force powers it should never have happened. Just like Luke walking on lava in Jedi Search, anakin burned just from getting near it but luke just had happy thoughts and became immune. The death of the one student as a cost honestly I just find the icying on the cake, it clearly means the author knew how wrong what he was doing power scale wise was but this cost of a red shirt student is a horribly predictible thrope, its not a page turner but a book closer.

And as stated, I knew of the hardback which was released in 1994, hence me saying this rerelease could be a 20th ann ed... the difference is the orginal hardcover was about 800 pages (all three books) but this new one is only 250 (a ~100 shorter than book 1). So either this has got very tiny font or something else is going on.
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.