Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. thecurseofchris Jedi Master

star 1
    Pardon me if this has been discussed, but re: injuries, when lightsabers cut through flesh, wasn't it said that they basically block off any of the veins and whatnot that would bleed?
    Dra--- and InterestingLurker like this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel Chosen One

star 4
    Ok, I'll try and be as clear as I can. I'm not arguing for accurate science, I'm arguing against fantasy taken to extremes. The diagram I posted was to answer something @Ryus said about the severity of the injury.
    Thanks, I'll be here all week. :)
    Immortiss likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Well we don't necessarily know where Maul's internal organs are. His brain could be in his foot for all we know.
    Dra--- and InterestingLurker like this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel Chosen One

star 4
    Yeah, I already answered that in an earlier post.
  5. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5

Never forget Ponda Baba!

[IMG]
  6. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    That arm probably contained his brain.
  7. thecurseofchris Jedi Master

star 1
    Ahh, yes, you are correct. I could've sworn I read that somewhere though.
  8. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    It contained his artistic talent.
    Ryus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 6
    He just needed a better translator.
    Immortiss likes this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel Chosen One

star 4
    Yeah, it has been stated that lightsabers usually cauterize the wounds they make. This being the first time we see a lightsaber used on someone, I'm not sure George had thought of that yet.
    EHT likes this.
  11. bstnsx704 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well, Darth Maul also squirts a bit of a bloody mist when he is cut down. And Obi-Wan clearly has blood on him where he was jabbed by Dooku's saber in AotC.
  12. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, I think I No Prized an explanation that some sentient's physiology doesn't cauterize their wounds. Same with Maul with the bloody burst that happens.
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel Chosen One

star 4
    Does he? I always thought those were burns. The cauterizing thing was to keep Star Wars from getting too bloody, I believe. Anakin never bled from his wounds. Neither did Luke. But yeah, there are some exceptions.
  14. bstnsx704 Jedi Grand Master

star 3

Hmm, looking at it again (oh, the convenience of YouTube) I think you're probably right. A bit hard to tell, though.
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. Pat Darksider Force Ghost

star 4
    Pat Darksider threw 6-faced die for: Total: 16
    Last edited by Pat Darksider, Feb 16, 2014
    InterestingLurker likes this.
  16. Krueger Chosen One

star 4
    We all knew this would happen. Deep down, we did. There was no way post-ROTJ EU was going to survive the purge that is Episode 7. No way. In terms of the PT era: for now, yes, I suppose Disney does have no interest in that period. Reason being the ST and Rebels is more closely linked to the OT than the PT. I'm sure they'll delve into the pre-TPM period in time, and maybe the PT era itself.

Your Doomsayers post is unfounded.
    Last edited by Krueger, Feb 16, 2014
    Dra--- likes this.
  17. The Shrike Jedi Master

star 1
    The EU will basically become an alternate expanded universe, but what the directive to Hasbro says to me is Disney intends to use some of it's characters, but with altered names/storylines, therefore they want Hasbro to stop making the existing ones to avoid the inevitable confusion they would cause.
    Dra--- likes this.
  18. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    No, the old EU is done everything from now on is canon, the purpose of the Story Group is to unify everything new.
    They've eliminated the Hierarchy, all future stories, Movie, TV, Netflix, Comics, and books will be in the same universe, and continuity.
    Their will be no more canon levels.

It will no longer be an expanded univese just the Star Wars Universe, under Disney.
    Dra--- and Krueger like this.
  19. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    The EU....like your franchise....is now mine!
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    PT era has been the driving force of Star Wars since 1999. Not that I dislike it or anything, but I'm cool with focus on the ST/Rebels/some dipping into the OT. Mostly ST, though is what I'm looking forward to.
  21. The Shrike Jedi Master

star 1
    Yes, everything from now on is cannon, and they are deciding what characters/storylines from the EU are interesting enough to incorporate into the storyline going forward. Character names will be changed to avoid confusion with ones in the pre existing, but now defunct E.U.
    newdawn12 likes this.
  22. Darth Claire Chosen One

star 4
    Yep.....old EU is dead. Anybody wanna hold a funeral and say some nice touching words? Anybody?....ok

Anywho...here's hoping the new EU is good
    Mange likes this.
  23. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    When they announced that the TCW bonus content was going on Netflix, it also said that they would be getting original Star Wars content in 2016
    Ryus likes this.
  24. The Shrike Jedi Master

star 1
    I feel bad for the people who read most of the EU novels.

I only read them until what happened to Chewy, then gave up, which was pretty early on.

They're basically fan fiction now, but with much better writers.
    Mange likes this.
  25. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Hope they at let honor names to some degree... like Jaina Solo becoming Nomi Jaina Solo (of course only referred to in full once, maybe even just written in Basic on her ID or something and fans translate it later and have there fangushing moment then), or the new Mara Jade once had that cover name but her real name is _______ and her and Luke still joke about how bad her cover name was when they first meet. Just throwing out some ideas of ways they could at least honor the EU characters if they choose not to use their names.

For the record, yes I've read most of the EU... I've wanted the plot of the EU burned to the ground for ages though, but have wanted key EU charcters to carry over into a new verse.
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 16, 2014
    Dra--- likes this.