Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Dra--- Chosen One

star 4
    Korriban or Moriband?
  2. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    The wiki. I do understand that the wiki is public and can be edited by anyone, but I am giving the folks behind TCW a lot of credit and am believing that "Morriband" was a mistake somewhere in the original German reporting and that Filoni and crew are not that lazy and are definitely far more creative than that.
    Immortiss, Pro Scoundrel, TKT and 3 others like this.
  3. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    Well, in real life there is usually nothing wrong with going to lengths for becoming treatment. An iron will and an ability to control yourself (rather than letting yourself go and despairing) sometimes means the difference between life and death, especially with chronic diseases.

Walter in Breaking Bad (I'm ignoring that he was offered treatment by former colleagues) just took it way too far. His own well-being and greed was more important to him than his family or all the people he would ruin with his meth. He is selfish. And the Sith are selfish too. They lost perspective. It's not the Cyborg implants that make Vader evil, having them is totally understandable, it is the fact that he throttles and kills people.
    TKT and Dra--- like this.
  4. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4

[IMG]
  5. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    According to SuperRTL, the original English description said Moriband: JediNews. So, the wiki is wrong. I'm not at all surprised frankly...
    Last edited by Mange, Feb 22, 2014
    TheBBP likes this.
  6. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    OK. Well dang. I hope that it is a completely different planet then lol. Thanks for that clarification.
    Mange likes this.
  7. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    You're welcome! :) One can't rule out some sort some of twist though...
  8. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4

[IMG]
  9. InterestingLurker Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not the only one who could care less if the planet was called Moriband, right? Right!?
    BigAl6ft6, Dra---, T-R- and 1 other person like this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    I think it's a rather pointless retcon if the planet is exactly the same as Korriban. It's something I can get over but I think the original name is a lot better and I still hope it's the one they use and that Moriband is just a stand-in name until the episode airs.
    Last edited by Darth Chiznuk, Feb 22, 2014
  11. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    It's not about being bent over it. It just seems silly. If we get some reddish sand-covered planet that happens to have a large valley filled with tombs and statues dedicated to ancient Sith Lords and they call it Moriband, then that is kinda lame.

I will be able to get over it in about 5 seconds, but it is still lame.
  12. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll still call it Korriban... Just to drive the new fans nuts and confuse them. Its my right as an older fan to be grumpy and picky while also teasing the noobs :p

In fairness I reserve the right to randomly call it Moriband if it becomes officially named Korriban to test if fellow fans where rumor hunting like I was before VII was released.
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 22, 2014
  13. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    First off, I'll take Lucas' preferred name over an EU name any day. Second, Moriband might be its original name known to Lucas while the EU made up their own name for it in the 90's. Third, they both could be names for the same planet from 2 different languages just like country names are different based on language. Example: Nippon-Nihon-Japan-tSeapain-Giappone
  14. Dra--- Chosen One

star 4
    I hated Moriband at first, and I still prefer Korriban, but the name has grown on me. I'm also unsure of why the name would be changed, if it has. Perhaps the writers like the meaning of the root better? I'm not sure what "korri" refers to -- anyone?

EDIT: In Greek, it means "daughter."

So maybe that's why they like "mori" better, since it refers to death.
    Last edited by Dra---, Feb 22, 2014
  15. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    and let's not forget that the EU is a little jacked when it comes to the name of the Sith homeworld, as Korriban was known as Pesegam during the reign of Xim, not to mention the whole Ziost retcon.
    InterestingLurker likes this.
  16. Jerran Tankarri Jedi Master

Are you kidding me? Moriband?? What??
    Immortiss, TKT and Ryus like this.
  17. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    I suppose we'll see for ourselves soon enough, but frankly, if the retcon is made and it's not only poorly done but pointless, then I really could care less about the future star wars products, lazy writing isn't my thing.

Oh and Wookieepedia, contrary to popular belief is almost always sourced correctly, if not then the more active members will immediately tear something out, especially something as important as that.
    Last edited by The Kulvax Sisters, Feb 22, 2014
  18. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    March 7th is coming so slow! I have vowed to TRY to watch the final episodes in order and NOT jump straight to the Yoda arc.
    Immortiss, Dra---, TKT and 2 others like this.
  19. Dra--- Chosen One

star 4
    I do not vow. [face_devil]
    TheBBP likes this.
  20. Jetedonne Pur-Pureus Force Ghost

star 4
    Huh, did not know that mori meant death... and they say that you should cease computer activity because it kills brain cells, ha. I lrn smthng nw evry dy.

Honestly, the name Moriband has been steadily growing on me ever since its' initial inception within the rumor mill when I confused it with the word Mortiband. The former sounds a bit like the term 'morbid', which in turn is a decent commentary on the Sith. Thought the name worked well in that sense, dunno. Only real reason I knew of Korriban, initially, was because of Knights of the Old Republic so I guess I would not be bothered either way.
    Dra--- and InterestingLurker like this.
  21. TKT Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Korriban sounds very jagged and dangerous, with that nice hard consonant at the start. It feels like a curse, fit to be snarled between gritted teeth and ragged lips by some vengeful being, very Sith.

Moriband is a comparitively rounded and gentle name, not at all befitting a Sith planet. 'Mori' may be latin for death, but 'band' implies circularity, unity, and wholeness, negating any dark connotations.

I haven't even played Knights of the Old Republic, so my viewpoint isn't coloured by nostalgia. Moriband is just lame compared to Korriban.
    Last edited by TKT, Feb 22, 2014
  22. Dra--- Chosen One

star 4
    That's a pretty tight analysis. This is why I often privilege sound over meaning when it comes to character names.
    TKT likes this.
  23. Jerran Tankarri Jedi Master

This annoys me far more then it should, but Korriban is a very established planet. Its been in many games, comics, and books. Its one of my favorite planets. This is such a careless retcon.
    Last edited by Jerran Tankarri, Feb 22, 2014
    TKT and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  24. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 6
    They sell death sticks on the planet Contraband.

But you didn't hear this from me.
  25. Jetedonne Pur-Pureus Force Ghost

star 4
    I disagree. Wedding bands are circular, imply unity and possibly impending doom contingent on a persons' perspective. Just depends on how you view the term is all.

In addition, band indicates 'a thing that restrains, binds, or unites', so altogether Mori-band would signify something along the lines of death unites which could be a fair assessment of the Sith order, I guess, since they generally tend to kill all living things with the common aspiration of galactic domination taking precedent for most.
    You ought to; fantastic game.
    I get what you are saying, and I respect your opinion on the matter.
    I dig that kind of analysis too. The way I have got it figured is I just imagine Palpatine's gravely ire as he articulates the term 'Je-die' the way he does in the OT, and I replace the term Jedi with, in this case, Moriband. If I can picture Palpatine asserting it, then it sounds Sithy enough to me.
    TKT and Dra--- like this.