Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    His personal Star Wars saga, no the EU is not a part of it, I know, I've been a fan of it all since the special edition VHS boxsets, but he does add his own elements to the EU to it, because he would prefer the EU in large part to conform to his ideas, like my previous post has shown, he gets involved a lot more than people think he does, in the most important EU projects.
  2. TheBBP Chosen One

star 4
    Providing input and/or direction does not equal making it canon.

No. But the EU is as detached from canon as he says it is.
  3. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    I never argued that this was the case, merely that his vision and wisdom has been imparted in the creation of the EU, do you really think that Lucas is going to have anywhere near as much power in Disney Star Wars? no he won't, he's already been over-ruled repeatedly on a number of different subjects according to reports.
  4. TheBBP Chosen One

star 4
    You are crazy if you think that Disney paid billions for the brand and hired Abrams to adapt pre-written EU stories.
  5. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    Did I say that? no, this is all about retcons and whether or not they have a significant point to them, if you would please read my previous posts instead of making assumptions, I clearly stated that I fully expect the Post-ROTJ EU to be retconned in the wake of the Sequel Trilogy, is there a possibility that we might see some EU elements? I wouldn't cross that out, just like there was with the PT, I do however think that when retcons can be avoided, such as when they'd make little difference, then they should be, because why just completely destroy the work that has already been done for you, instead of adapting it to a larger vision? change it and mold it sure, but don't just nuke it for 'creative freedom'.
    Last edited by The Kulvax Sisters, Feb 23, 2014
    Ryus likes this.
  6. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    I think you're overestimating Lucas's involvement with the EU. For instance, Luceno said he got exactly one email from Lucas about Darth Plagueis, which was a response to a question about whether he had to be human, to which Lucas replied that he could be a Muun. And TFU has already been overwritten by Lucas himself with TCW and declared non-canon. Giving a suggestion or input here and there is hardly being heavily involved. Lucas has been very clear over time about the fact that he doesn't read the EU and considers it to be a separate universe from his.
    Last edited by Mystery Roach, Feb 23, 2014
  7. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    Ah, so the whole "Lucas and Luceno collaborated over the Darth Plagueis novel" is a marketing stunt by LFL. Good to know.
    Echo Base likes this.
  8. Circular Logic SWTV Interview Host

Game Host
    star 4
    So, moving on to a slightly different topic...

Does anyone else that saw the Rebels character introduction videos think that the 14-year old Force-sensitive Ezra Bridger could appear int he ST? It seems based on his age (the same age as Luke and Leia) that he could possibly appear as an elder Jedi during the time of the ST, perhaps as a part of Luke Skywalker's fledgling New Jedi Order? Ezra's name also may have some significance when we think of links, i.e. "Bridger" on first glance might imply that Ezra is meant to act as a "bridge" between the PT and OT eras, having been born just after the start of the Empire. Or, as I'm suspecting, it might have double meaning and also imply that his character could be a "bridge" between Rebels and the ST (this has been discussed in the Baddie thread regarding the Inquisitor). Of course, if Ezra does show up in the ST, I only expect him as a minor character, one who was eventually (re)discovered by Luke following the events of RotJ (assuming Ezra survives Rebels, which I'm inclined to think he's much more likely to survive than his mentor Kanan), and then trained to be a full-fledged Jedi Knight. Ezra will probably just be a cameo character added as a wink-wink nod-nod to fans of Rebels, but his actual background would be non-essential to the overall ST plot.
    Ryus, Dra--- and Mystery Roach like this.
  9. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Other than the fact that he fits nicely with the casting call of "Street smart Orphan", Lucas drew famously from myths and religious 'backdrops' when it came to names (IE Luke the light bringer, Padme - lotus flower, Dukoo- poison) A little wiki-history on the biblical character of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezra

According to the Hebrew Bible he returned from the Babylonian exile and reintroduced the Torah in Jerusalem (Ezra 7-10 and Neh 8).

Just something to toss about.
    Jedi Merkurian, Dra---, TKT and 2 others like this.
  10. CGI-BOBAFENT Force Ghost

star 4
    I think I posted this before in a similar thread a long time back but I think it's very relevant to the current conversation.

[IMG]

My first foray into the the current EU timeline was with Dark Empire and I think this passage from the intro to Dark Empire particularly shaped my view of it.

Wise words here and it's why I won't be upset if the majority of EU is no longer within the main canon despite the years I've spent engrossed in it.

It's been a great ride, I've enjoyed it but I'm excited to see what comes next.
    StoneRiver, Mange, EHT and 7 others like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett Force Ghost

star 4
    This is also what I think thought I have only liked the EU for 4 years.
  12. chris hayes Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I think you'll see characters from Rebel appear in the ST - Ezra for sure......
    Dra--- likes this.
  13. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    I think Ezra is likely, the Inquisitor is likely, and maybe even an old (70ish?) Kanan is possible.
    Darth Archimage likes this.
  14. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    That would put Kanan in the running for older Jedi to be killed in Episode VII.

Maybe even Ezra too, for that matter.
    Last edited by Mystery Roach, Feb 23, 2014
    Dra--- likes this.
  15. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    Who might play such a character, factoring in Freddie Prince Jr. is voicing the actor in Rebels? I think that means he might not sound too stoic or PTish despite being an older Jedi character.

Who would play Ezra?

No names or know names? ;)
    Last edited by Dra---, Feb 23, 2014
  16. thecurseofchris Jedi Master

star 1
    I think major planet names and descriptions should carry over from the EU to the "official" canon. Imagine the next few generations of Star Wars reading old books or playing old games and seeing all of these places that are mentioned in a multitude of places, yet technically "don't exist."
    Iron_lord and Ryus like this.
  17. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
  18. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    Debating the canon status of the EU? What is this, 1999?
    T-R- likes this.
  19. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    I won't lie, I loved it... but died a little on the inside when they renamed the Sith homeworld from Korriban to Moriband (sounded like it was pronounced Moribaunh though, though the M was clearly present). Its not nearly as dark and menacing as I hoped... imho Korriban sound darker, I can deal and will get over it but still...

This is a reminder of why I'm here, so I can find out the continuity changes a head of time and accept them long before I would if I just watched them on screen and just get shocked and devestated at changes. That way later I can enjoy the new properties for what they are ([face_love]) and not what they replaced ( :_| ). Hope others like me who love the old continuity can get over it... on the plus side though SWTOR is now not canon [face_dancing] , well at least a big chunk of it (so too is KotOR I & II but SWTOR already retconned both of them... so smallvictory to those who wait patiently for SWTOR's destruction [face_devil])

And wth? Yoda vs Darth Sidious before episode III... so Sidious is now like Superman where even though now his face is known no one can seem to figure out Clark Kent is him due to the glasses (in this case yoda is fooled by a hood for the duration of episode III) *facepalm*

My o_O moment was yoda vs the lava monster... still trying to figure out how a lightsaber can defeat it... [face_laugh]

This is me mostly dealing with the changes emotionally... sorry if you disagree, no offence was meant.;)
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 24, 2014
    Dra--- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5

Looked amazing! Thanks for posting it. I have a feeling that Dagobah is going to turn out to be the original homeworld of the Jedi which has been lost to history until Yoda rediscovers it. I would really like that and it would make perfect sense to me that that's why Yoda exiles himself there after ROTS.
  21. TheBBP Chosen One

star 4
    I am already over it. That trailer was fantastic. I cannot wait to see the episodes.
  22. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Explains the brown robes... it hides the mud :p

Nice theory though, I like it ;)
  23. TheBBP Chosen One

star 4
    We might also learn solid info on that cave/dwelling on Dagobah that Yoda has Luke enter where he fought his nightmare.
  24. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    Ahem... ;)
    Dra--- likes this.
  25. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    That would be a lot to ask for with only 2 episodes divoted to Yoda's mission... but please make it so. It could help make those two episodes into the best of the entire series if it ties in a ton in mearly 2 episodes.

As big of a fan as I am of TTT retconning it being the death place of a dark jedi that Yoda killed to what was guessed by Darth Chiznuk wouldn't phase me in the least, especially if it ties into the origins of the Jedi/Sith. In fact that could be way better that what TTT gave us.

I just relistened to it on far better quality speakers and I heard the 'd' this time and not the 'h'... I think I prefered it with the 'h' though... well whatever maybe it will be one of those Star Wars names that gets pronounced a few ways. The 'd' is pretty quite but it's there...
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 24, 2014
    Dra--- likes this.