Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    There will be plenty of new Star Wars books that will go with the canon.
  2. Jobertus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I am one of those who is getting used to the New Order of the post-RotJ EU, and mourning the passing of the old EU I knew since 2005--which in itself was likely different from those who began immersing themselves in the EU much earlier than 2005. Of course I would really love to know just exactly what this "New Order" will be, but I suppose that will have to wait until 2015 (at least).

I am very happy that we are getting a sequel trilogy, it is something I have wanted to happen since I was a kid. The only qualm I might have is that for someone who holds what is and is not canon so strictly in their mind to be so laissez faire with regard to elements of their creation being expanded beyond the films is odd to me. IMM, I would have set out from the start, or at least dictated along the way, what the novels, comics, cartoons, video games, and whatever other media did in expanding my universe, rather than let it go hog wild for decades (taking on a life of its own) just to change my mind on a whim and erase it all. I'll roll with the punches, and be grateful for the ST, but it is a valid question to ask: WTF GL? I mean, Thank You, but WTF?
  3. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    It'd be perfectly fine if the future EU novels were set in an alternate universe.
    ScorpionJedi likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Ha ha lol. Might take a long time but all it takes is one step followed by another, followed by another followed by another.
  5. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    Seriously? People are still upset over an EU name change? Really?

How about all of the changes made to the movies themselves? Those are far worse than changing a name in the EU.
  6. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    You hold your tongue! The Sarlacc Squeaking Beak-Thing is a TREASURE!
    TKT and T-R- like this.
  7. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    So can we all finally agree that the death of Korriban represents the decanonization of ALL previous EU and not just post-ROTJ, as I've been saying for ages?
  8. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    Until there's not and it is once again thrown aside and retconned. :p. It's the risk you take with comics as well.
  9. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    I think the whole point of the Story Group is to avoid that scenario. Start clean and make it count.
    InterestingLurker and Dra--- like this.
  10. dolphin Chosen One

star 4
    I find it hard to believe a Force-user as powerful as Palpatine died by falling from a high distance. Couldn't he force push against the ground just before impact? Would the G's be too powerful for his body?
    Dra--- and T-R- like this.
  11. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    He set off a very dangerous nuclear reaction. Vader died from the very tail end of it. Palpatine was at the source.
  12. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    Vader died from the electronics of his suit getting fried by Palpatine's lightning. That's why the mechanical breathing was labored. I thought this was obvious, although I have seen debates on the subject crop up from time to time. Not sure I've ever heard your theory though.
    Dra---, Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    Definitely post-ROTJ EU, but I still think it’s too early to say that everything has gone the way of the dodo. For example, stories set between the films (both of the PT and OT) should be safe, or at least most of them. I can’t see SOTE going anytime soon, for example. It’s not really stepping on anything’s toes. And I think that's what it will come down to. Toes and stepping on them.
    Last edited by Krueger, Feb 26, 2014
  14. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    Maybe, but that seems like a nightmare to keep straight for the casual reader. People kept saying that there was no reason for the KOTOR era to be affected either and now that's out the window.
    Last edited by Mystery Roach, Feb 26, 2014
    InterestingLurker and Dra--- like this.
  15. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, I agree that the KOTOR era will go very soon, and not just because of the Korriban thing. I will be shocked, for example, if we don't get a few films down the road set in that time period.
    Last edited by Krueger, Feb 26, 2014
  16. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Fully agreed, if there was any EU timeperiod that would get top odds of a film/tv adapation its the KotOR stuff. As such it will become retconned like no tomorrow to make a long comicbook run, 2 60 hour video games, and 1 200+ hour long mmo video game fit into a few movies and/or tv show spinoff.
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 26, 2014
    Mystery Roach likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    whoops, wrong thread. Uhm....Adam Driver for Thrawn!
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Feb 26, 2014
    Dra--- likes this.
  18. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    You mean Grand Admiral Amphithyron (or some misspelling/breakup of it) :rolleyes::p

Which is a type of vail/curtain in a sect of churchs (I looked that up myself 30 seconds ago)... thus a play on his role of being the gateway villain who leads to a villain returning from death but also sounds similar to Thrawn... [face_party]

They better not do this... :oops:
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 26, 2014
  19. DanielUK Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yep, TFU has been removed from canon, too.

The TCW finale, the Yoda arc, is set to basically build the foundations for the new canon and lore.
  20. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    This is why I believe that the final episodes were delayed. I think that they are setting up the official canon moving forward into Rebels and beyond into the movies. There may or may not be details in them that are vital to a theme that we might not see until later down the road. But I honestly think that the delay has as much to do with setting the lore and canon for the future of the franchise as it does anything else.
    DanielUK likes this.
  21. DanielUK Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'm read bits and pieces of the Yoda arc; the origin of the Force, midichlorians and Sith are set to be explained. Plus, the Whills of the Force seem to be making an appearance, too. But I 100% agree with you on the why the final episodes were delayed.
    TheBBP likes this.
  22. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    Honestly this Morriband business is getting more laughable by the announcement, now it's officially called Moraband. :rolleyes:
  23. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Korriban rolls off the tongue better than whatever it is now.
    Immortiss and Ryus like this.
  24. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    The idea of stuff like SWTOR being retconned is folly, considering that SWTOR has already been endorsed by the Story Group, mainly because people like Dave Filoni are massive fans of the era.
  25. Pro Scoundrel Force Ghost

star 4
    What's funny is, now that it's official, nobody knows how it's spelled. Is it Morriband, Moriband, or Moraband? :)
    Immortiss likes this.