Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Soon the planet will just be named "Mmmm".
  2. Pro Scoundrel Chosen One

star 4
    I'm betting on "Mmmmkay".
    The Hellhammer, EHT and Darth_Pevra like this.
  3. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Likely a time limited deal, like Hasbro being allowed to make EU toys already in early production but had to stop all future releases not in production. In this case expansions take planning, so what the Story Group said was we give you our blessing but you must have it out by the end of 2014 (hence why magically all the expansions got bumbed up to this year) and letting EA say they have their blessing. They're just letting EA make more money off it till they need to flat out say they're retconning it but changing things along the way that effect it so no one can later say it wasn't bound to happen.

Next off being a fan of an era doesn't mean they won't reboot it later to make movies and tv shows based off it. Video games (especially the 60+ hour games like KotOR and 300+ hour games like SWTOR) don't adapt well into a 2 hour movie, let alone a trilogy of 2 hour movies, or a 13 episode netflix show. The games would be changing mediums and for the sake of the future stuff they must be able to have more freedom in modify what once was... EA won't mind since they'll be allowed to make game tie ins to an era they're already know quite well and make tons of money rebooting KotOR/SWTOR (likely my fav KotOR 2 will get the short end of the stick here).
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 27, 2014
  4. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    On a sad note - Aaron Allston just passed away... :(
  5. credar Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    What?! Where did you hear this? Oh my goodness I'm sad right now. :( Aaron Allston wrote the fantastic Wraith Squadron books, a great duology and the books in LOTF and FOTJ I liked. I'm sad to hear this news. Peace be with his family.
    Last edited by credar, Feb 27, 2014
  6. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    https://www.facebook.com/aaron.allston?fref=ts
  7. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    O.O

But he was only in his 50s...

RIP Aaron + best wishes to his family and friends in this difficult time.
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 27, 2014
  8. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    Wow... sad to hear about Allston... really enjoyed some of his books...
  9. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    God Bless Aaron and his family. May his Memory Be Eternal
  10. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    No, EA has power now, they have a year long deal, SWTOR is not going to be retconned, it simply won't be allowed, SWTOR has turned out to be a massive success, micro-transactions alone have gained them $138 million in one year, that is not including the subscribers.

SWTOR and the Old Sith Wars as a whole is likely protected, you really think that the Story Group is going to damage relations with EA and BiOWare, now that they have given them ten years of exclusive rights to make Star Wars games? BiOWare is likely going to be a big developer of future games, basically negating their entire Star Wars works as a whole is not a good move in any sense, EA might like money but by retconning SWTOR, they have retro-actively shut down Star Wars: The Old Republic, something which as I stated above, is making them ridiculous amounts of money.
  11. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    And yet Korriban has still be retconned... and its a huge part of the game.

Unless SWTOR repays the voice actors to redo every Korriban line and/or has an entire expansion that adds Moriband and explains why Korriban now isn't the Sith homeworld then it breaks canon. Simple as that.

In either case it will cost EA a ton of money to fix it to keep it canon and that's just from one name change... imagine if Taris now gets a new story of the Madalorian history gets another rewrite. Now why not just let the conflictions add up and claim its still canon, then one day later say end of 2015 just announce the game will close down in a year, and reveal then that a new MMO is about to replace it that is canon and tied in with the new canon. This way EA still milks it for all its worth over the next two years and soon will be able replace it with a new Kotor like single player game that ties in with its new SWTOR like game, this way the single player game will drive consol players to the mmo (that or this new mmo game is compatible with Xbox One and PS4, if blizzard can get Diablo on xbox 360 then EA can get a new mmo on Xbox one/PS4)
  12. hachijedi Force Ghost

star 3
    Ok the spin I'm hearing about this is that "Korriban" is a moon of "Moraband" of the Sith Homeworld. Don't know if it confirmed but some Star Wars fans are spinning it this way. Korriban is the graveyard for Legendary Sith and the Training grounds while "Moraband" may just be the main planet. But people have to understand The EU is not Law. Lucas only let stuff slide to keep the mythology going but the official cannon is and will always be the movies 1st then everything else.

This sounds reasonable. Someone posted this in the comments on one of the articles I read.
    The Kulvax Sisters likes this.
  13. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    Well, there have been weirder retcons. Having Korriban be a graveyard/training moon around Moraband is something that can be plausible. Again, I'm not upset either way - I just thinkKorriban is a better name than Moraband, is all.
    Last edited by The Hellhammer, Feb 28, 2014
  14. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Sith Master (on Korriban referring to new object in the sky): That's no moon, we're the moon and that's the planet now that the retcons have appeared.
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 28, 2014
  15. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    "That's no moon... we're the moon."

[face_laugh]
    Dra---, T-R- and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. DanielUK Force Ghost

star 4
    It sounds interesting, but it's likely Moraband is the new Korriban.
    Ryus and TheBBP like this.
  17. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    Korriban was a Sith Homeworld, Ziost was a Sith Homeworld, Dromund Kaas was a Sith Homeworld, Malachor V was a potential Sith Homeworld, what's one more?
    Immortiss and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    Korriban hasn't been retconned, unless there is an out and out retcon of korriban has a whole, then it isn't a retcon, just add Moraband to the other four Sith Homeworlds.

But you still simply under-estimate the undertaking required for a new MMO, it took over-all, seven years for SWTOR to go from conception to release and SWTOR is still one of EA's biggest money makers, whatever way you want to spin it, shutting down SWTOR will not go over well.
  19. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    No Korriban was the Sith Homeworld, the rest where later capitals of their empire as they moved around and fleed the Jedi and the Republic.
    Dra--- and TheBBP like this.
  20. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5
    SWTOR could have been so good as a single player RPG. That said, the roadmap for the game had them saying that we will see flashpoints on the Korriban and Tython. Maybe this is their opportunity to get rid of Korriban and move on to Moraband through story?

All in all, I am hoping that Lucasfilm/Disney wants to do an MMO in their new and upcoming galaxy and that TOR either takes a back seat or simply gets closed to make it happen.
  21. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    You're looking at it as OOU, I am talking in-universe, Korriban was the Sith Homeworld until they decided to leave Korriban for Ziost and called that the new Homeworld, Dromund Kaas is according to the Sith Emperor the lost Homeworld, Malachor V was treated as a Homeworld they could fall back on during the Great Hyperspace War.

Did the Sith Purebloods evolve and originate on Korriban? yes, but unless they out-right state that the Sith species originated on Moraband, there is little that can't just be tweaked and adapted to fit Moraband in.
  22. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    EA is going to laugh in their faces if they ask them to do that, which by the way, due to the exclusive rights contract, EA can just flat out say no and continue earning almost $150 mill a year on their current MMO through just Micro-transactions.
    Last edited by The Kulvax Sisters, Feb 28, 2014
  23. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5

You are talking about EU. None of which is safe at the moment. Be prepared for Moraband to be THE Sith homeworld. Be happy if it is not.
    Ryus likes this.
  24. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    Again, work-arounds have been done and could be done, remember when Lucas stated the 'Sith Knights' originated from Ruin, etc... and that was only 2,000 years ago, well we all know the EU survived that.
  25. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5

"Work arounds" are exactly why the EU as it stands should be scrapped in place of a new continuity. Considering that this is the first time that we have heard of Moraband, that very well might be happening. I think that these lost episodes of TCW are setting the stage for that and that Rebels will round some more things out.

You can't lose sight of the fact that it has been repeatedly said that canon is ONLY what is in the movies and in TCW. Now TCW is calling the Sith Homeworld "Moraband". That is canon.
    Last edited by TheBBP, Feb 28, 2014
    Mystery Roach and Ryus like this.