Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ararha Jedi Knight

There has been 0 instances where Lucas has signed away to the rights and allowed another company to do whatever they want with star wars. You have not seen the contract so you cant claim what you have just done. If you think EA has the upperhand in the scenario then im not sure what your thinking. Lucas/Disney will ALWAYS have the rights to the material. And im sure you know that every piece of word in the dialogue written by the SWTOR writers must go through lucasfilm to be approved.
    Last edited by ararha, Feb 28, 2014
    TheBBP and Ryus like this.
  2. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    So let me get his straight... a politican suddenly pulls out a new text book and a world now qualifies as a new homeworld, sorry the lost original homeworld, to those masses in a GFFA. Yet you who knows better accepts their new history as fact... :oops:sorry but that is really something else.
    [IMG]

Again the Sith have only one Homeworld in SWTOR, yet a new seperate one that is confirmed canon in Rebels and you don't think there might be a problem here...

I suppose you'd believe Palpatine telling you he's bringing peace too if you're that gullable.

If they want to keep playing in a GFFA's sandbox they shut up and do what they're told. If they do what they're told they lose some capital now but gain tons in the long run due to the exclusive rights to make Star Wars games (you think they'd risk losing Battlefront 3 over SWTOR, lets see $150 million a year from SWTOR vs a potential $1billion dollar game Battlefront 3, wait a moment... this is a hard one to figure out which is better for them). Plus now they have the benifit of knowing how to make a MMO and therefore shouldn't run into the years of glitches they had before. Finally even if they get told to pack it up they got years to do it in... the money they make from that over the 2-3 yeas to shut down in will more than pay for a new and better Star Wars MMO that can be free to play from the start (hence earning them more money since that model proved it worked better).
    Last edited by Ryus, Feb 28, 2014
    TheBBP likes this.
  3. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    are people actually saying they can't enjoy a VIDEO GAME if a name differs from the movies? Seriously? [face_laugh]
  4. TigerCraneFist Chosen One

star 4
    Oh no! :(
    After reading a little, it seems he suffered a fatal heart attack at a scifi con. Very, very sad, but at least he was enjoying himself to the last.
    My thoughts goes out to his loved ones.
  5. ScorpionJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I think if the Old Republic era was ever going to change it would be if they suddenly green lit a KOTOR movie.
  6. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    If I play KotoR again (or more likely, KotoR II), I'll just imagine that Korriban underwent a name change (which isn't at all unrealistic considering the time frames). And that's that. I don't understand the outrage and that despite the fact that KotoR is my favorite EU.
  7. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    Agreed. I can enjoy the X-Wing franchise for what it is, Bounty Hunter for what it is, KotR for what it is, and TFU for what it is. The fact that these don't represent the moie universe in no way prevents me from enjoying playing them any more than playing a Marvel game, which doesn't fit comic or movie universes.
  8. DanielUK Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Agreed.

Once and a while, I'll blow the dust off my XBOX and play KoTR. Same with TFU; not bothered it's not canon anymore, can still enjoy the game for what it's worth.
    T-R- likes this.
  9. The Hellhammer 7SA Forum Interrogator

Game Host
    star 5
    I just want them to make a new X-Wing and/or TIE fighter game. With today's graphics and tech, that would be beyond awesome.
  10. LunarMoth Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not an EU guy at all, and I don't like some of the things that have happened in the EU that I am aware of (dead Chewie, cloned Palps, and so on).....

BUT

I have always said that I looked at the EU as a set of "What if this happened......" for folks who wanted more stories. When the idea of the ST came into play, and the apparent likelihood that those stories would be discounted, I was quite surprised at how many people seemed to be upset that these stories and events would be nullified. The part of this that surprised me the most, and maybe this is because of how I view the EU, is that the folks who were upset by this were acting as if there houses were being raided and all EU product was being confiscated and burned.

The books, and games, and whatever else there was still exist. If you enjoy them, great. They are still there.

When we get Rebels, the TWC bonus stuff, and most importantly the ST, I'm sure there will be tons of conversation and debate over which is better, what came from what EU source, and what should or shouldn't have changed. All areas of the evolution of Star Wars (old drafts, original outlines, interviews, and so on) have been used for discussion in the past, and this will be no different.

SO

At the end of the day, it looks like the EU will largely become what I always thought it to be. "What ifs".

However, it will always exist and it will always be a part of Star Wars for those who have enjoyed it as well as those who have not.

:cool:
  11. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    While I agree with you 100%, my favorite video game of all time is the original sit down Star Wars arcade game complete with wire frame graphics.
    Last edited by T-R-, Mar 1, 2014
    Dra--- likes this.
  12. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    Yeah, I always wondered if they were this upset when TESB nullified The Splinter of the Mind's Eye, or when the original Marvel Star Wars comics were ignored. Or when the Droids cartoon and Ewok movies were contradicted.

This rewriting EU has happened since the beginning.
    LunarMoth likes this.
  13. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    TESB didn't exactly "nullify" Splinter - books published after TESB have included the events from both - like The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader.

Ignoring something is not the same as nullifying it - especially since later works frequently didn't ignore Marvel SW material - but made use of it.
  14. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    Later works did contradict Marvel SW material, even if they used aspects of it. That can't be denied. It is also most likely what is going to happen to the current EU.

Splinter was nullified by TESB. Luke did not fight Vader before Bespin.
    Granger likes this.
  15. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    Where's that stated in the TESB movie?

It's worth keeping in mind that Lucas was rather heavily involved in the writing of Splinter - going by the Story Conference transcripts in Star Wars Insider 145 and 146.
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Mar 1, 2014
  16. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    Are you serious? The opening crawl. Yoda talking about Luke facing Vader. Vader not mentioning it during their duel.

If Vader fought Luke in SotME, don't you think he would've mentioned the whole father angle then? Or that he would've mentioned almost killing Luke and Leia during the duel in TESB? Or the fact that Luke cut off his arm?

SotME was written to be filmed as a low budget sequel to SW if SW wasn't successful. When SW was a hit, SotME was replaced as a sequel by TESB. No concepts from SotME survived into TESB.
    DarthBreezy and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader did manage to provide a justification for Vader's attempting to kill Luke - he's being strongly influenced at that point by the proximity of the crystal.

And at that point, he doesn't know he is Luke's father - the TR&FoDV book went with the Special Edition version of the TESB conversation with the Emperor - where the Emperor reveals the nature of the relationship, and Vader says "How is that possible?!"

These days, Splinter can be thought of as an "interquel" story - akin to Shadows of the Empire.

And shortly before the prequel movies began coming out - Splinter was rereleased- with Lucas himself writing the foreword.
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Mar 1, 2014
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    One EU book retconning another EU book does not mean that the movies don't contradict them. What was seen onscreen does not support the attempted retcon in the Vader book

Which is the same as we have with Rebels and the ST.

EU works have always been altered by what happened on screen. EU works have continually been retconned and/or abandoned because of what happens on screen or in other EU works, so changing a planet's name is no big deal
  19. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    All of this retconning is going to make my head explode.
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe when Wookieepedia explodes it will relieve some pressure Internets. More post count building might help too.
    Darth_Pevra and T-R- like this.
  21. dolphin Force Ghost

star 4
    Revenge of the Sith is the only Star Wars film to receive a PG-13 rating from the MPAA, I am hoping one or more of the sequels get that rating as well.
  22. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Uh, since when did the MPAA rating have anything to do with the Expanded Universe? :confused: Is there about to be bloodshed in this thread? [face_tee_hee]
  23. dolphin Force Ghost

star 4

Isn't this the official sequel trilogy AND EU thread?
  24. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4

Why? For the sake of having more gore? Ep3 got that rating primarily because of Anakin being torched alive.
    LunarMoth and T-R- like this.
  25. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    The Dooku scene and the implication during the youngling killings didn't help
    LunarMoth, Force Smuggler and TheBBP like this.