Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Star Trek has always been ridiculous, what it does shouldn't be used as an excuse to defend the Suncrusher. Its two seperate fictional universes.

Trekies got a stick up their butt that they need to beat Star Wars in terms of explosions ever since Gene Rodenberry said Star Wars would beat Star Trek if it ever came down to a fight. Its as simple as that. To them its always we can out science you, and we can even out science what we did last week too.

Half the time the size of something in that show is done for cheapness of the prop and science is the excuse for its size after the fact. They have forumlas devoted to why most races in their series look humaniod, rather than just say dressing up an actor is cheaper than making muppets like Star Wars or Farscape. Again, they always just create a 'it science' excuse... its habbitual to them.
    Last edited by Ryus, Mar 5, 2014
  2. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Trek isn't the only setting with starbuster weapons though:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StarKilling

A case could certainly be made that the Sun Crusher combines too many "bests" though - best armor - best starbuster (in terms of size) and so forth.

As to why Kevin J. Anderson chose to do it that way - whether it was to "one-up" the movies or not - we don't know.
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Mar 5, 2014
    Jedi Merkurian and Dra--- like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    I was a young teenger when KJA's Jedi Academy books came out and of the main characters was a teenager who was best buddies with Han Solo and then he went on Force/Dark-side emo-angst trip with an invincible weapon that exploded freakin' suns. Suffice it to say, I loved the hell out of it.
  4. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    Good gravy..... did someone just use a ridiculous concept from Star Trek as a way of excusing something from Star Wars?
    Pro Scoundrel and Ryus like this.
  5. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    Man, the more you guys talk about the Sun Crusher the more I want one.
    Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Krueger Chosen One

star 4
    I've got one. Haven't used it yet.
    EHT and Dra--- like this.
  7. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 6
    I used to have one but I somehow lost it over the years. Damn tiny micro machines...
    Dra--- and TigerCraneFist like this.
  8. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Been clearing out junk of my house all week... came across a box full of Star Wars micromachines (plus tons of other star wars starship models). Clearly they didn't go into the junk pile but the display proudly pile... my suncrusher is still in the box though (not only since I hate it but it looks dumb laying on its side, shoulda come with a stand) but other EU ships are on display now regardless of there EU status (though Lando's Yatch is now canon due to TCW). Can't wait for the Skippery Blastboat and Z-95 to become canon too (maybe they are and I'm just forgetting at the moment, lol)
    Last edited by Ryus, Mar 5, 2014
  9. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    Wouldn't that be great if your micro Sun Crusher actually worked and you could rule our galaxy through a tiny micro-terror?
    Ryus and Krueger like this.
  10. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    So it seems to have been cleared up that
    Show Spoiler
    Korriban, Pesagim and Moraband are indeed the same planet, just different names, next to nothing has been retconned on that front... however Darth Bane is an entirely different story.

MODified: Spoilers
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Mar 7, 2014
    Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  11. Krueger Chosen One

star 4
    Don't spoil the Yoda arc.
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Mar 7, 2014
    TheBBP likes this.
  12. cronedoggy Jedi Master

star 1
    If Lucasfilm as decided to jettison and decannonize the EU, why bother saying that Moraband is the present day name for Korriban? I'm wondering if they are only going to jettison everything after ROTJ, or if they want to use the twins and jedi academy might even keep up to 10 ABY cannon.
  13. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5

Lucas has always been clear that nothing in the EU, especially anything after ROTJ is safe. He is not going to allow people to dabble in what his vision for the Skywalkers is.
  14. cronedoggy Jedi Master

star 1
    I know they can choose to get rid of anything at anytime. I'm only noting that it is curious after all the recent "The EU doesn't matter" talk to put on the official site that Moriban is the planet as Korriban. This seems to be an effort to play nice with the KOTOR stories when they could have just said "bah, there never was a korriban."
  15. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    Chances are, if this planet shows up in the movies, most people will have never heard of Korriban
  16. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    Playing nice is saying Korriban is Moraband?

Lucas doesn't believe it's called Korriban anymore, so why should we?
  17. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Cause I prefer Korriban and still find Morriband a dumb name, plus teasing new fans by calling it Korriban is gonna be so much fun. :p [face_devil]
    Last edited by Ryus, Mar 7, 2014
  18. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    Saying that Moriband is Koriban is the literal definition of a retcon. which we will see much in the ST era. However, the difference between a simple planet name retcon and the entire butt load of post ROTJ EU history having to mesh up with the ST takes it beyond simple retcons.
    Dra---, Darth_Pevra and Ryus like this.
  19. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5
    Ignoring the EU is not a retcon. Especially when their stance has been canon = movies and TCW.
    Dra--- likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5

Yah but they did go out of their way to mention the Koriban / Moriband thingie to make it fit. I think it boils down to easy stuff to cram in = retcons. Big Damn Post ROTJ Stuff = not canon!
    Dra--- likes this.
  21. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5

Leland Chee said that Lucas simply didn't like Coruscant and Korriban having a similar sound. The rest of the planet as portrayed in the episode is just as it is in the EU. Sith Academy structure and all.
  22. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    LFL as a whole ever since the EUs creation? This is a falsehood. For 15 years the EU was canon (C-Level), minus conflicts with the prequals was a later edit to this.

Lucas since ~2008 (and mostly in regards to a ST when the topic of the EU came up)? This is fact, before not so much unless it involved conflct with the prequals.

Since TCW producers started getting asked when they started breaking EU? This is true, more so as years went by.

It was offical policy that the EU was canon unless it conflicted with G or T level canon. This part has now been cut though. Moriband's rename is a retcon but its not really ignoring anything either since minus the name it is still Korriban. The EU is now a well of ideas, they won't ignore parts that are useful to them but they will retcon them to reshape them with excuses like this is more in line with Lucas's vision. Which will only true from a certain point of view, its 'Lucac's vision now' but not likely before they wanted to edit it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on them... just saying its shrewd business to get EU fans who support Lucas to side with them vs any lingering reservations they had of wanting to support the old. This at the end of the day is retconning, the fall of the EU so to speak.

To quote Kreia: "It is such a quite thing, to fall. But far more terrible to admit it" or in this case the EU is being slowly revealed to be dying at the moment and it will be very hard and painful for many to see it, accept it, and/or admit that some parts of it besides the movies, TCW and Rebels are safe for what ever reason.

Now to quote Yoda: "Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the force. Mourn them do not." In otherwords the EU is dying but becoming a well of ideas and will in time be reborn. Just as any living thing in Star Wars mythology is part of the living force but when it dies it becomes part of the unifying force cosmic force (again, a new name again added in the Yoda arc that replaces old EU but is the same bloody thing, I get this change due to wanting to show its grandure and not its purpose but find it less deep but more easy for general audiences to grasp with the new name but that's nitpicking) but the cosmic force creates new life, thus the two feed each other.

I'm a huge EU fan and moving on will be hard for me... I'm on this site to move on before the ST gets released so I can enjoy it for what it is and not hate it for all the collected EU stories I fell in love with it won't be. There will be times ahead I'll likely go 'wth LFL' due to a EU retcon, mostly since I see it as a moronic move that served no purpose other than they could.

Sorry I digressed there a bit, point is the EU was canon...until new content for a new larger audience became the concern vs more content for the same diehard fans (Id argue Lucas being an Executive Producer on TCW was the straw that broke the camels back or at least made it the inevitable outcome). Exactly when this started to become the new way is up for debate but it has always been their, just growing in scope over the years with each new wave of retcons. From the death of the Marvel comics status when TTT started a new EU, to the EU authors fighting for a direction amoung themselves, to the the PT doing new thing which killed some EU, to KotOR the game killing the comics, to TCW killing more EU, to the ST/Rebels/Spinoffs/etc pretty much nailing the final nail in the coffin with the rest... that said nothing stops the EU from becoming a well of ideas for the ST/Rebels/Spinoffs/etc after all, why not its already been fan-tested and approved, so just repackage what they just killed with a new logo, now the EU fans feel happy that ____ has 'survived'

Nope... I spotted tons of bad geopraphy vs Korriban. That place has a bizillion times more mountains and next to no great valley. :p

But really?:oops:it sounding like Corcusant was one of the best parts about it... *sigh*
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5

The nitpicking about "this EU thing now in TCW/movies is not exactly like the EU thing it was before" kind of defeats the purpose of seeing the EU thing in the mainstream flagship franchise. When something jumps mediums, it's going to inherently change based upon the specifics of that medium and the creators working on it. Heck, Luke Skywalker in the movies is portrayed differently in the novels simply because the medium / pagecount adds more layers to his character and thought process that the movies can't. The same thing is going to happen when EU Thing XYZ shows up in the movies or TV series. Things change, it can't be exactly as it was in another medium.

Which is why whenever some goes of on "In the EU this is blah blah blah not yadda yadda yadda!" drives me batty. That's going to happen quite a lot more in the Disney era where they'll grab a bunch of things from the EU to flesh out the universe but the details will change (see how TCW used the EU, which I think is an excellent example of how to use the EU in the other mediums. That's how it should work). I think expecting something to be the exact same across every medium ever is a bit silly. The fact that it goes from one medium to another means that it's not going to be exactly the same.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Mar 7, 2014
    Ryus likes this.
  24. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5
    Lucas has always been consistent with expressing that the books and comics were separate from the films. The films and now TCW are canon. The EU is a big conflicting mess, which is why they are working to one consistent canon.
    Dra--- and Mystery Roach like this.
  25. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Shadows of the Empire and The Force Unleashed say hello... [face_tee_hee]