Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Boring.
    Apophis_ likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5

Honestly the KOTOR era is a 1000 of years and they can always add a zero to their respective dates. It's set so mind bogglingly far back you can easily tapdance around that.

There are some Star Trek comics that the writer of that movie had direct influence on. They're written after the fact but they toss in details and backstory to the movie (which is already been written & shot by that point). Into Darkness referenced "the ship from the Mudd incident" which was used in an action scene. There's a comic that shows them getting "the ship" and "the Mudd incident". That's a direct reference to that ancillary product in the movie (Which, conveniently, the product was made after the movie was shot but before it came out) and it's up to the viewer if they think that's "required reading" or not.

I use the analogy of "Episode 8 eyepatch guy" (stay with me on this one). So let's say there's a guy in Episode 7. Has two eyes. Episode 8 happens. He's now "eyepatch guy" (cuz they changed the character design). So you get an EU product published in between Ep. 7 & 8 (cuz the movie folk show the licensing folk the Ep. 8 characters after the movie is shot) that details how he became Eyepatch guy. Or, to use a more obvious Star Wars analogy, how Anakin got his scar in Ep. 3 (of which there are a few interpretations of it, I believe). EU would be the connective tissue between movies, but it'd give you a sneak preview in-universe of what the next movie is going to be. Which is how it should work.

I don't think the EU should be responsible for major direction-setting stories like kids and deaths and so forth, it becomes eventually cheap shock-value big moves. That's not what I enjoy from media tie-ins. It's supposed to be revisiting the world and characters of that particular universe when the TV show / movie isn't on. But expanding the universe that we see in the films, which is kind of the point, is what it does / should do. Just not the whole "these are the kids and this is their very specific history" direction the post ROTJ EU has been setting it.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Mar 15, 2014
  3. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    I also think the KotOR era is largely safe, i think they will try their best to keep EA/BiOWare happy, allowing their part of the continuity to carry on.
  4. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    Just little adventures. There will be no "required reading" to go from E7 to E8. That would be an unwise idea because, as much of those of us in our little Star Wars world don't see it, not everyone is obsessed with this as we are. The movies have to have mainstream appeal.
  5. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    They say they want all the formats to count now and serve as entry points for the franchise. So I think we'll get some interesting content in the other formats. Remember, in the opening crawl of the films, they can always fill people in quickly if they missed something relevant. Bigger events in the movies? Probably, but that doesn't mean other important things can't happen on TV, etc.
    Last edited by Dra---, Mar 15, 2014
    StoneRiver and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5

I took that as they want all of the FUTURE formats to jive. Not everything that we already have. They want all of what is coming to jive as one canon. Pable Hidalgo tweeted just last December or so that canon was the films, TCW and now Rebels.

[IMG]
    Last edited by TheBBP, Mar 15, 2014
    Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  7. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    Right, but they said they want all the formats to be "meaningful." So we'll see what meaningful means. If everything going forward is as meaningful as TCW, that would be fun, imo.

@TheBBP
    By the way, we aren't supposed to debate canon anymore, so we should tread lightly. I believe we can discuss it, so we can attempt to understand what's happening, but no debate! :)
    Last edited by Dra---, Mar 15, 2014
    TheBBP likes this.
  8. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5

I feel you. I wasn't debating, just showing the facts. There isn't much to debate when Pablo Hidalgo was that straight forward about it lol.
    Ryus, Mange and Dra--- like this.
  9. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    I agree 100%.

I'm just hoping/expecting that the new novels, comics, etc are all actually meaningful in some way. Even if huge events don't happen in them. Maybe they help add depth to things like TCW did for the PT.
    StoneRiver, Ryus and Circular Logic like this.
  10. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5

Indeed. I am very excited to see how it pans out. Especially in regards to things like video games. The nature of games makes it hard for them to be canon when connected to outside sources such as movies and novels. They will have to strike a balance between giving the player certain freedoms and maintaining a consistency toward canon. In just about every game you are the absolute best of the best of whatever character that you are playing story-wise. Or at least you grow to be.

I think back to the problems that they had with TFU. I personally enjoyed the theme of the stories, but the character of Starkiller was a bit overpowered for my tastes. They wanted badly to make that story canon. I think that it even was considered to be canon for a while.

Anyways, my thoughts are jumbling. Just trying to say that games may be difficult and I might even suggest a hope that they will remove games from the media that they want to meld with the canon.
    Iron_lord, Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  11. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, you know, I never considered the problems posed by video games in relation to narrative. I never thought that the video game abilities would necessarily be equated to canon abilities by fans/players. But I guess I understand why fans would expect Starkiller (or whoever) to be as powerful in books and TV as he was in video games.

I don't know what the solution is in this case. Either they make the characters' abilities exactly the same in all media, or people just accept that video game abilities don't extend to the rest of the formats. IDK.
    TheBBP likes this.
  12. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Yeah, again in case anyone has missed it: Canon rules and policy

You're right, discussing canon in a friendly manner is fine... and just FYI, debating or arguing about canon has been against the rules already; that didn't change with our updated policy.

And before anyone starts arguing about that Hidalgo tweet mentioned above again, yes, we know he deleted his account since then, and yes we still think it was really him saying that.
    Jedi Merkurian and Dra--- like this.
  13. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    The Star Wars Fact File relaunch (started this January) included articles on number of TFU things - PROXY in particular.
    Dra--- likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    I will say, it mentions in the thread that everything is canon "right now" and waiting on an official Lucasfilm statement on canon...but what if that twittering is all we get? Does that count as the official statement?
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Mar 17, 2014
    TheBBP and Dra--- like this.
  15. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    For some people it might not, but most people these days accept tweets as real communication.

If Obama, for example, says something via tweet, it's reasonable to assume that's his authentic beliefs. The lines between "official" and "non-official" are more blurred than ever. But even off-the-cuff remarks by politicians and celebrities have always caused trouble for them when controversial or newsbreaking.

Hence, the biggest indication that tweets contain real information in them is that people have to sometimes retract the statements they made, or contextualize them when misunderstood.

So it would be helpful if we have an official announcement, but it's certainly not necessary imo.

Still, in this case, I think we will get an official statement at some point. They've made so many announcements about the Story Group it would be odd if they didn't announce something to us.
    Last edited by Dra---, Mar 17, 2014
    Jedi Merkurian, EHT and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Well, it says everything should be considered canon right now. But I think Dra--- summed it up well. Basically the policy as we have it worded now stands until something else official comes along... be it more tweets or an official SW.com announcement. At that time we can add to what we have, modify it as needed, etc. I think we'll probably hear more soon enough, as Rebels starts airing, the movies get closer, and new novels, etc. start getting announced.
    Iron_lord, Dra--- and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. sluggo1313. Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Its questionable already if that stuff really fits with contunity. Lucas and Lucasfilm have NEVER been that worried about keeping bioware (who no longer wants to do lienced games) or EA or anyone else happy and just do their own thing.
    Ryus likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    Meh, I've always said it'd be really difficult to completely erase the 1000+ years pre-TPM from continuity, even if they start making movies in that era, you can always move the KOTR stuff even further back in the timeline. Unlike the majority of the EU, It's so disconnected from the movies timeline all you have to do is add a few zeroes.
    Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Plus it isn't just the games - it's the toys - they've sold a lot of TFU and TOR merchandise.
  20. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    From Joe Corroney's FB page, he's a good friend of Pablo Hidalgo

Joe Corroney Going out on a limb here (not really) but I believe Lucasfilm is having to change, after, adapt, redefine, erase, etc. (some or all of the above) the EU based on the script and story treatments coming from Disney production (JJ, Kasdan). I don't think LFL is interested in nuking and paving thirty years of dedicated EU like a corrupted hard drive for the fun of it. The new movies being created by Team Disney are dictating the new direction of the franchise and all previous and upcoming spinoff material. LFL will be salvaging as much of what they can from the EU I'm sure.
  21. sluggo1313. Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Its the easist thing in the world to erase the pre-TPM stuff.

Moving itback further just makes it make less sense. Thats one thing I always hated about it, and why it really should just be alternate universe stories. So in 4,000 years weapons, ships, droid etc... tech has barely advanced? That makes ZERO sense.
  22. Brookstone Jedi Master

star 1

I think they will salvage what they like not necessarily what they can. As an EU subscriber since I was a whee lad I feel like this a lot lately
  23. chris hayes Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    So Disney has confirmed Episode VII to take place 30yrs after Episode VI ( 34 ABY ).....funny enough there is a gap in the EU Timeline at 34ABY as the Dark Nest Crisis starts at 35ABY & nothing from 29ABY - 34ABY so the fact is Episode VII will take place before the Legacy era so assuming that will all be re-written so will we start at 34ABY with all the characters of the EU intact ? Jaina & Jacen both 25yo & Ben 8yo ( same age approx. as Anakin in EP1 ) not likely is it so really the EU is complete toast from 4ABY & every single character is thrown out & looked upon as some alternate timeline !......
    Ryus likes this.
  24. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, this means Mara Jade is alive! I can tease her haters now! :p

Even better news, Dark Nest never happens! [face_dancing]
    Iron_lord likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    Applying logic to the Star Wars universe history is never a good path to go down anyway.