Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Excuse me, yes we do want the NJO. DNT/LOTF/FOTJ not so much.
    Revanfan1 and Ryus like this.
  2. thecurseofchris Jedi Master

star 1
    The way I see it, there would be no point in adapting existing EU material as part of the overall saga and still call it Episode VII. If they were going to use an existing story, they would have announced it already. It's not going to happen.
    Eternal_Jedi and Lurknomore like this.
  3. Darth_Bertie Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    There are obvious signs that they could have showed us that would suggest the ST would respect the EU. Tweets from Hidalgo and Chee could have said that the saga time line has always aimed to be cohesive and avoid reboots, not making enphasis on the fact that the the canon will put everything going FORWARD at the same level, etc. Plus, they could have set the movie in the 45 ABY, which I think would have reflected better the current ages of the big 3.

I wouldn´t mind if they have followed the EU, but let´s be realistic, there have been no hints that lead us to believe they will.
    Lurknomore likes this.
  4. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    I don't think they would let us know story no matter if adapted from EU or not. JJ and writers I'm sure will use all at there disposal including EU and write a script they deem fit. So EU lovers and EU haters can only speculate opinions not facts till story is revealed.
  5. The Shrike Jedi Master

star 1

I read all of the EU novels up until that point, whereupon I never read another word.
    Last edited by The Shrike, Mar 30, 2014
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    Why do we need to get so upset that Chewy is dead. I don't like it and I grew up with OT but like Lucas said StarWars is like a mythology story and in mythology heros die too. I just think if they keep to EU timeline and everything that happen prior to 30-34yrs ABY, than we have to accept that alot has happen good or bad. We will have the big 3 and hopefully JJ does a great job introducing the new heros who will take over and carry on the magic. We may also see Lowbaca who is related to Chewy and he has the force and that would be cool to see a lightsaber wielding wookie.
  7. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    Peter's in the ST, all his tweets have indicated that Plus he cancelled a May Convention appearance due to filming.
    His being there takes out Vector Prime, and every story going forward that had him dead.
    Darth_Pevra and Ryus like this.
  8. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    He maybe in it but you and I don't know what extent of his role will be as chewy. He maybe only in a flashback scence showing him sacrifice himself to save the solo kids and that was part of his deal with Han a life debt till death. So everything we say is an opinion, speculation not fact but I do respect your opinion and you could be right and I will be happy if Chewy is back even as a EU reading lover.
    Last edited by Fastback, Mar 30, 2014
  9. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    I love the Old EU too, but it's best to accept the new stuff that is coming.

They don't do flashbacks in Star Wars movies, or prologue scenes.
    Things are explained through opening crawls, and character discussions about the past.
  10. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    It isn't the notion of a main character dying that upsets people. It seems to me that a lot of people here are expecting such a thing will happen.

Rather, it is the notion of a main character dying off screen, between movies, that would be incredibly poorly done. Giving Chewie's death a sentence during the opening crawl, or maybe a single line of dialogue, would be incredibly lame. Not only would that upset the die-hards, but the casual viewer doesn't have the first clue about Vector Prime, the Vong, or the moon that Chewie bumped into. Sometimes real world concerns get in the way of moviemaking (i.e. an actor dies in real life), and audiences tend to be forgiving of such things. But there is no "real world" reason not to have Chewbacca in the ST.
    Last edited by Beezer, Mar 30, 2014
  11. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Then find out!
    The material is there! Read!
    Last edited by Force Smuggler, Mar 30, 2014
    Fastback likes this.
  12. Lurknomore Jedi Grand Master

star 3

I don't think they'll kill Chewy. They'll probably kill Luke, if not in Episode VII, then in VIII or IX.
  13. TigerCraneFist Chosen One

star 4
    You can't ask every movie-goer to read Vector Prime to get an answer as to why Chewie is dead.
  14. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    Why not it is there for anyone to read. I think you can't just tell EU readers what they read to forget it happen forget all EU. I also agree and understand not all EU material is good but there are alot of good stories, characters, planets etc. Lucas used alot from EU for PT and TCW that he did not think of.
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Every movie-goer? Really? Pretty sure a lot of on here know about it.
    Info is out there isn't it? Has been for 15 years.
    Get it in person or electronically.
    So being lazy is an acceptable excuse?
    Fastback likes this.
  16. TigerCraneFist Chosen One

star 4
    Yes, a lot of people have read it. Most of the movie-going audience haven't.
    The information is out there, but Star Wars is first and foremost movies. Most causual fans (which would be, oh, 80% of the human race :p ) aren't even aware of the fact that there are books. Skipping an important story point, such as the death of a character in the films would make for strange story-telling.
    It's not being lazy, it's expecting to get the full story in the movies.
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Jedi Comedian Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    There are thousands of excellent books in the world, more than anyone has time to read in their lifetime. To expect people to have read specific Star Wars tie-ins before they can enjoy the movie is unrealistic and not a little bit arrogant.

Also, isn't this one of the things RLM and his acolytes are always criticising the PT for doing?
  18. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    The Star Wars saga is far bigger than just the movies. TV series', books, comics, games, etc have been part of it for years. Don't limit it.
  19. Jedi Comedian Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I'm not limiting it. I'm also not expecting people to make a big investment in it before they're allowed to enjoy a new movie.

It's bad storytelling and bad business sense.
  20. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    [quote="TigerCraneFist, post: 51425417, member: 715591[/quote]
    Yes, a lot of people have read it. Most of the movie-going audience haven't.
    The information is out there, but Star Wars is first and foremost movies. Most causual fans (which would be, oh, 80% of the human race :p ) aren't even aware of the fact that there are books. Skipping an important story point, such as the death of a character in the films would make for strange story-telling.
    It's not being lazy, it's expecting to get the full story in the movies.[/quote]

Sorry I could careless for the causual fans who are unaware of the books. Star Wars has been around since 70's and those of us who grew up with it and those after have had plenty of chances to watch all Star Wars movies and read the books before VII comes out. Star Wars became big because of the movies and expanded from there because of us Star War nuts kept it growing by continuing to support the Saga by reading, watching or playing games all things Star Wars. The Casual Fans out there who watch VII and like it and wonder who, what, where, why and they have many books to go back and read to understand.
  21. Jedi Comedian Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Yeah, that's a great idea.

"What? You've only watched the films? You haven't done any of the homework? Pfft. What a lightweight. Go home until you deserve to see this movie."
    BigAl6ft6, Darth_Pevra, EHT and 4 others like this.
  22. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    Lol, I'm not saying that they don't deserve but at the same time don't punish us EU readers who like what we read that want to see that continued and included VII. I don't see how hard it is to understand that VII 30 years later from ROTJ can have major changes. JJ just needs to do a great job with the big 3's magic they had and bring that back and pass it on to the next gen in a all new story for all of us.
    Last edited by Fastback, Mar 30, 2014
  23. Jedi Comedian Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Well, I consider myself a fan of the EU as well (not a hardcore fan, but a fan nonetheless), and I would love it if Episode VII is completely EU compatible. But it's unfortunately not realistic, for two reasons:

1. It severely limits what JJ et al can do with the movie. A story about Luke and his non-Force using, former Alliance medic wife arguing about the destiny of their two daughters is instantly out. So is a story where all the Imperial forces mysteriously vanished immediately after Endor.

2. Too much has happened that it would just seem weird to gloss over. If the entire galaxy was invaded by religious fanatic aliens from outside the galaxy, that needs to be seen or it will seem utterly random and bizarre.
    Last edited by Jedi Comedian, Mar 30, 2014
  24. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    Marvel Star Wars prequlization comic is a definite thing. They've been doing that for all of their movies, even the non-Marvel Studios ones (ie. Amazing Spider-Man). It's very logical to assume there will be prequel comics.

Before Ep. 7 is doubtful because, as far as anyone on publishing goes, all they say is "we know nothing about Ep. 7 ever" over and over and over. I'm sure there will be Ep. 8 / Ep. 9 prequel novels because the universe will be established by that point.

A comic is a different beast than a full novel, they can make them under tighter deadlines. And Marvel has been prequel-comic-ing everything lately so I see that as a thing. Ep. 7 prequel novel, not so much. If only because the space is so darn blank.

There isn't anything in the movies that says how old Luke is. All we see is baby Luke and then grown up Luke. He is going to be as old as Mark Hamill is, and they can always retcon his age in ANH to be as old as he was in 1977 as opposed to the 19 year old he's supposed to be.

Assuming anyone cares about ages and dates of characters. I mean, you think anyone is going to say "Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, who is 49 years old". Dates in Star Wars are vague and ill-defined at best. Heck, the only time you get a reference to time passing in between movies is Anakin saying "I haven't seen her in 10 years, Master." Outta 6 whole movies, one line!

Luke will be as old as Mark Hamill is and timeline be damned.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Mar 30, 2014
    Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Looking at Shadow Hunter and Cloak of Deception for Episode 1, they came out after Episode 1 did by two years.