Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    TESB already stepped on that;)
  2. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 7
    Not very hard though - hence movie tie-in books like The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader including stuff from it and Shadows of the Empire.

I could see the new Empire & Rebellion series between ANH and TESB being kept, as well.
  3. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    except the whole Vader almost killing Luke and Leia and Luke cutting off Vader's arm, other than that, not very hard ;)
  4. hachijedi Force Ghost

star 3
    When the announce the names of the Skywalker Kids I can't wait to see this thread explode.
    Last edited by hachijedi, Mar 14, 2014
    SithStarSlayer and Dra--- like this.
  5. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Meh Luke might not even have kids.
    Dra--- likes this.
  6. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 7
    Vader loses arms a lot in the EU - fragile prosthetics, maybe ;)
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    Yep, another reason to say buh-bye EU[face_dancing]
    TheBBP likes this.
  8. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    How do we know that? What's the timeline on the creation of Plagueis?

Also, there's the question of whether Lucas knew he wouldn't be making new movies and whether he always had the possibility of selling the franchise in his head. Hard to say for sure exactly what Lucas was thinking on issues that he changes his mind on.
    Immortiss and T-R- like this.
  9. The Shrike Jedi Master

star 1
    I think the sequel trilogy always carried with it the greater potential for revenue, but if he did the sequels first the prequels would be less successful (not arguing quality, just revenue and profit).
    T-R- likes this.
  10. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 7
    It goes back a long way:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Darth_Plagueis

being canceled in March 2007 - then put back on the schedule in July 2010. So some of the work done on it would probably have been as early as 2006.
    Dra--- likes this.
  11. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    2010 would have been around the time GL was working on the new treatments.
    Immortiss, Dra---, Ryus and 1 other person like this.
  12. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    So what? Lucas personally approved Chewie's death. That don't mean that E7 is beholden to a single thing in the EU.

Your canon is dead, son. Accept it.

MOD Note: Discussion of Canon not allowed in this thread. This is a friendly reminder.
    Last edited by Bazinga'd, Mar 15, 2014
  13. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 7

That meme is kind of overused already.

Plus:

So - maybe we should move on?
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Mar 15, 2014
    Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  14. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Is there really anything more to discuss in this thread then?
  15. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    While I think that's far too restrictive, it's always possible to continue the discussion without turning it into a canon debate.
    Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Darth Claire Chosen One

star 4
    Ok....umm *thinks up topic* How do you think the new EU (books, video games, comics, ect based off the characters and events in episode 7) will impact episode 8? Like will it have a direct impact (like things that happen in the new EU will directly tie in and be referenced so its required reading) or will they just be little "in between adventures" that have no real impact on the films?
    Iron_lord likes this.
  17. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Considering the frequency that they'll be pumping out movies - supposedly every year - probably side adventures and back fill.
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Boring.
    Apophis_ likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5

Honestly the KOTOR era is a 1000 of years and they can always add a zero to their respective dates. It's set so mind bogglingly far back you can easily tapdance around that.

There are some Star Trek comics that the writer of that movie had direct influence on. They're written after the fact but they toss in details and backstory to the movie (which is already been written & shot by that point). Into Darkness referenced "the ship from the Mudd incident" which was used in an action scene. There's a comic that shows them getting "the ship" and "the Mudd incident". That's a direct reference to that ancillary product in the movie (Which, conveniently, the product was made after the movie was shot but before it came out) and it's up to the viewer if they think that's "required reading" or not.

I use the analogy of "Episode 8 eyepatch guy" (stay with me on this one). So let's say there's a guy in Episode 7. Has two eyes. Episode 8 happens. He's now "eyepatch guy" (cuz they changed the character design). So you get an EU product published in between Ep. 7 & 8 (cuz the movie folk show the licensing folk the Ep. 8 characters after the movie is shot) that details how he became Eyepatch guy. Or, to use a more obvious Star Wars analogy, how Anakin got his scar in Ep. 3 (of which there are a few interpretations of it, I believe). EU would be the connective tissue between movies, but it'd give you a sneak preview in-universe of what the next movie is going to be. Which is how it should work.

I don't think the EU should be responsible for major direction-setting stories like kids and deaths and so forth, it becomes eventually cheap shock-value big moves. That's not what I enjoy from media tie-ins. It's supposed to be revisiting the world and characters of that particular universe when the TV show / movie isn't on. But expanding the universe that we see in the films, which is kind of the point, is what it does / should do. Just not the whole "these are the kids and this is their very specific history" direction the post ROTJ EU has been setting it.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Mar 15, 2014
  20. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    I also think the KotOR era is largely safe, i think they will try their best to keep EA/BiOWare happy, allowing their part of the continuity to carry on.
  21. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    Just little adventures. There will be no "required reading" to go from E7 to E8. That would be an unwise idea because, as much of those of us in our little Star Wars world don't see it, not everyone is obsessed with this as we are. The movies have to have mainstream appeal.
  22. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    They say they want all the formats to count now and serve as entry points for the franchise. So I think we'll get some interesting content in the other formats. Remember, in the opening crawl of the films, they can always fill people in quickly if they missed something relevant. Bigger events in the movies? Probably, but that doesn't mean other important things can't happen on TV, etc.
    Last edited by Dra---, Mar 15, 2014
    StoneRiver and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5

I took that as they want all of the FUTURE formats to jive. Not everything that we already have. They want all of what is coming to jive as one canon. Pable Hidalgo tweeted just last December or so that canon was the films, TCW and now Rebels.

[IMG]
    Last edited by TheBBP, Mar 15, 2014
    Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  24. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    Right, but they said they want all the formats to be "meaningful." So we'll see what meaningful means. If everything going forward is as meaningful as TCW, that would be fun, imo.

@TheBBP
    By the way, we aren't supposed to debate canon anymore, so we should tread lightly. I believe we can discuss it, so we can attempt to understand what's happening, but no debate! :)
    Last edited by Dra---, Mar 15, 2014
    TheBBP likes this.
  25. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5

I feel you. I wasn't debating, just showing the facts. There isn't much to debate when Pablo Hidalgo was that straight forward about it lol.
    Ryus, Mange and Dra--- like this.