main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    TESB already stepped on that;)

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not very hard though - hence movie tie-in books like The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader including stuff from it and Shadows of the Empire.

I could see the new Empire & Rebellion series between ANH and TESB being kept, as well.

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    except the whole Vader almost killing Luke and Leia and Luke cutting off Vader's arm, other than that, not very hard ;)

4. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    When the announce the names of the Skywalker Kids I can't wait to see this thread explode.

SithStarSlayer and Dra--- like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Meh Luke might not even have kids.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Vader loses arms a lot in the EU - fragile prosthetics, maybe ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Yep, another reason to say buh-bye EU[face_dancing]

TheBBP likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    How do we know that? What's the timeline on the creation of Plagueis?

Also, there's the question of whether Lucas knew he wouldn't be making new movies and whether he always had the possibility of selling the franchise in his head. Hard to say for sure exactly what Lucas was thinking on issues that he changes his mind on.

Immortiss and T-R- like this.
  9. The Shrike

The Shrike Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the sequel trilogy always carried with it the greater potential for revenue, but if he did the sequels first the prequels would be less successful (not arguing quality, just revenue and profit).

T-R- likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It goes back a long way:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Darth_Plagueis

being canceled in March 2007 - then put back on the schedule in July 2010. So some of the work done on it would probably have been as early as 2006.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    2010 would have been around the time GL was working on the new treatments.

Immortiss, Dra---, Ryus and 1 other person like this.
  12. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    So what? Lucas personally approved Chewie's death. That don't mean that E7 is beholden to a single thing in the EU.

Your canon is dead, son. Accept it.

MOD Note: Discussion of Canon not allowed in this thread. This is a friendly reminder.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

That meme is kind of overused already.

Plus:

So - maybe we should move on?

Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is there really anything more to discuss in this thread then?

15. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    While I think that's far too restrictive, it's always possible to continue the discussion without turning it into a canon debate.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Ok....umm *thinks up topic* How do you think the new EU (books, video games, comics, ect based off the characters and events in episode 7) will impact episode 8? Like will it have a direct impact (like things that happen in the new EU will directly tie in and be referenced so its required reading) or will they just be little "in between adventures" that have no real impact on the films?

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Considering the frequency that they'll be pumping out movies - supposedly every year - probably side adventures and back fill.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Boring.

Apophis_ likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Honestly the KOTOR era is a 1000 of years and they can always add a zero to their respective dates. It's set so mind bogglingly far back you can easily tapdance around that.

There are some Star Trek comics that the writer of that movie had direct influence on. They're written after the fact but they toss in details and backstory to the movie (which is already been written & shot by that point). Into Darkness referenced "the ship from the Mudd incident" which was used in an action scene. There's a comic that shows them getting "the ship" and "the Mudd incident". That's a direct reference to that ancillary product in the movie (Which, conveniently, the product was made after the movie was shot but before it came out) and it's up to the viewer if they think that's "required reading" or not.

I use the analogy of "Episode 8 eyepatch guy" (stay with me on this one). So let's say there's a guy in Episode 7. Has two eyes. Episode 8 happens. He's now "eyepatch guy" (cuz they changed the character design). So you get an EU product published in between Ep. 7 & 8 (cuz the movie folk show the licensing folk the Ep. 8 characters after the movie is shot) that details how he became Eyepatch guy. Or, to use a more obvious Star Wars analogy, how Anakin got his scar in Ep. 3 (of which there are a few interpretations of it, I believe). EU would be the connective tissue between movies, but it'd give you a sneak preview in-universe of what the next movie is going to be. Which is how it should work.

I don't think the EU should be responsible for major direction-setting stories like kids and deaths and so forth, it becomes eventually cheap shock-value big moves. That's not what I enjoy from media tie-ins. It's supposed to be revisiting the world and characters of that particular universe when the TV show / movie isn't on. But expanding the universe that we see in the films, which is kind of the point, is what it does / should do. Just not the whole "these are the kids and this is their very specific history" direction the post ROTJ EU has been setting it.

20. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    I also think the KotOR era is largely safe, i think they will try their best to keep EA/BiOWare happy, allowing their part of the continuity to carry on.

21. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Just little adventures. There will be no "required reading" to go from E7 to E8. That would be an unwise idea because, as much of those of us in our little Star Wars world don't see it, not everyone is obsessed with this as we are. The movies have to have mainstream appeal.

22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    They say they want all the formats to count now and serve as entry points for the franchise. So I think we'll get some interesting content in the other formats. Remember, in the opening crawl of the films, they can always fill people in quickly if they missed something relevant. Bigger events in the movies? Probably, but that doesn't mean other important things can't happen on TV, etc.

StoneRiver and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

I took that as they want all of the FUTURE formats to jive. Not everything that we already have. They want all of what is coming to jive as one canon. Pable Hidalgo tweeted just last December or so that canon was the films, TCW and now Rebels.

[​IMG]

Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  24. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Right, but they said they want all the formats to be "meaningful." So we'll see what meaningful means. If everything going forward is as meaningful as TCW, that would be fun, imo.

TheBBP
    By the way, we aren't supposed to debate canon anymore, so we should tread lightly. I believe we can discuss it, so we can attempt to understand what's happening, but no debate! :)

TheBBP likes this.
  25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

I feel you. I wasn't debating, just showing the facts. There isn't much to debate when Pablo Hidalgo was that straight forward about it lol.

Ryus, Mange and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.