Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Are we allowed to discuss canon in this thread?
  2. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    JediGirl_Angelina and Lurknomore like this.
  3. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
  4. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Alright. So has their been any confirmation over whether Splinter of the Mind's Eye is canon or not?
  5. cronedoggy Jedi Master

star 1
    Very minor was an overstatement. But he is below Han, Luke, Leia, R2, 3P0, Vader, yoda, obi-wan, emperor and Lando. If there is no nein numb with Lando, will that need an explanation? I like chewy. I'm fine if he is in the movie. I don't think they should be forced to coincide with the EU.

I'm only putting forth the argument that audiences are smart enough to assume he died if we don't see him in EP7.
  6. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    What happens if we don't see Han in the movie?
  7. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth?
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Well if people are going to complain if Chewie died offscreen before the ST, what about Han if he isn't in the ST?
  9. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
  10. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Maybe. They'll probably come up with something that let's him come back for Episodes 8 or 9 if needed. Some secret mission or something.
  11. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    I think you're still overstating. I am not going to address all those names point by point, but you say he is below Lando? Are ya serious? Lando doesn't even appear until the 3rd act of E5, and even once he appears he is no more of a major character than Chewie.
    Audiences are smart enough to deserve an explanation, and there isn't a single fan who would be satisfied with an unexplained, off-screen death of such a major character. If the producers of E7 did what you suggest, people would be outraged. They would not meekly shrug their shoulders and saw "well I guess he died...."
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk PT Trivia Master / Game Host

Game Host
    star 5

You're probably watching the wrong movie then. :p
  13. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    The PT!
    But just saying, what if Ford doesn't come back? Died offscreen? Or off doing some secret mission?
  14. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 5
    I'd have no problem believing that he died sometime in the 30 years. **** happens.

Edit: Gotta star out the whole word.
    Last edited by EHT, Apr 3, 2014
  15. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    I would give serious amounts of money to have that in the intro scroll.

"A dreadful threat plagues the fragile New Republic!
    [something something]
    Also, Han Solo died sometime. **** happens."
    Last edited by EHT, Apr 3, 2014
  16. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 5
  17. Lurknomore Jedi Grand Master

star 3

If Han isn't in it, Leia won't be in it, and the movie will explain that they're off somewhere doing whatever. All we really need is Luke, to pass the torch.
    Last edited by Lurknomore, Apr 3, 2014
  18. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1

I can use the Marvel movies to Marvel comics with Star Wars. The Marvel comics over the many years and changed so much like or not and it would be crazy to ask those who make a movie based on a Marvel character to follow the comic. Star Wars EU has followed the movies from ROTJ and continued the story to further it along the last 30yrs and it is all part of the same timeline. JJ does not have to follow everything from EU but there is a foundation there for him to start from, Skywalker/Solo families, still use names, places, things etc. He can use "Legacy of the force" and adapt it in a script that makes sense for a movie.
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1

I would be very dissappointed if those making VII, completly discount EU and make up an all new story. I don't see why they can have a all new story that starts after Legacy of the Jedi or Fate of the Jedi even though timeline is a little off. He has a good foundation to start with from EU and go from there. I think most on here are over thinking it and making it seem impossible as if JJ has to include everything from EU. He does not and he should be capable to continue from OT to EU to ST that makes sense. I guess we will see when we get a script and it makes sense for all of us Star Wars nuts.
  20. sluggo1313. Jedi Grand Master

star 4

But the EU isn't the foundation for him to start from, the movies are.

The issue is, as soon as you leave out 1 thing, it changes EVERYTHING in the EU.
    Mystery Roach likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    **** happens.
    TigerCraneFist, DarthBreezy and T-R- like this.
  22. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    [quote="sluggo1313., post: 51435335, member: 1379556
    But the EU isn't the foundation for him to start from, the movies are.

The issue is, as soon as you leave out 1 thing, it changes EVERYTHING in the EU.[/quote]

Sorry I'm not trying to argue and understand if you don't like EU but IMO I don't see using EU is leaving out the movies. The last movie with the big three was over 30 years from ROTJ and EU used them as the foundation to continue. I don't see why JJ can't continue from EU 30 years later. He has Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo, Ankin Solo etc so many great characters that have grown the last 30 years with the big three and all together we will have a all new story trilogy that does not have to explain everything from the book but move on from there.
  23. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    He's working from Geoprge Lucas treatments, and George never read the books.
    George Lucas saw the books, and comics as a revenue stream, like toys, bedsheets, and that's about it.
  24. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I thought Lucas oversaw some of the books though?
  25. sluggo1313. Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Sorry I'm not trying to argue and understand if you don't like EU but IMO I don't see using EU is leaving out the movies. The last movie with the big three was over 30 years from ROTJ and EU used them as the foundation to continue. I don't see why JJ can't continue from EU 30 years later. He has Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo, Ankin Solo etc so many great characters that have grown the last 30 years with the big three and all together we will have a all new story trilogy that does not have to explain everything from the book but move on from there.[/quote]

I like some of the EU, some of it just bad.

I didn't say using the EU = leaving out hte movies,I said the movies and not hte EU is foundation that Abrams is and should be building on.

There are several reasons Kennedy, Abrams etc.. won't/aren't using the EU. 1) They don't want to hamper their creativity (neither did Lucas when he wrote the outlines) and put limits on what stories they can tell since the ST is going to be a launch pad for MORE Star Wars for the next 10-20 years. 2) The % of hte audience that has read, and strongly cares about the EU is tiny, there is no money in pandering to them. 3) Having to catch the audience up on 30 years of history is not a good way to start a movie. And if they just ignore whats happened in the EU the last 30 years (ie - have Jaina and Jacen together, ignoring Jaina killing Jacen, they aren't really following the EU anyway).

Some of characters you mentioned were great, some weren't. How doy ou now the characters Lucas, Kennedy, Arndt, Abrams etc... create won't be just as great if not better? Why take the typical fan boy position "oh my god its different, then its terrible".