Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. sluggo1313. Jedi Grand Master

star 4

He had some input int he Zahn trilogy, after that not so much. He has said he couldn't keep up even if he tries and basically said he doesn't really care that much. He has gone so far as to say the Books and the movies are different universe's.
    DarthBreezy likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    As it should be. It's a lose-lose situation for both the fans and filmmakers.
  3. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    This thread goes right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round...
    [IMG]
    Last edited by Mystery Roach, Apr 4, 2014
  4. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    He stated that but not in a sense that the books are moot. He just meant that what was in his head came out in the movies and what is in EU is what he allowed the writers to do. He understood that the Star Wars that he created has gone far and above him and that is why he sold it so it can continue on. He also had his name and imput in most all books and TCW after ROTJ. We can go round and round about this and speculate all we want but we shall see what JJ came up with and reveals it and I will debate on it than.
  5. sluggo1313. Jedi Grand Master

star 4

He had basically in input in any book after the Zahn books. TCW he was very invested in.
  6. Teniel Djo Force Ghost

star 5
    I sincerely hope you're right about that. From many other people's posts, I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who would love it if the Thrawn trilogy was the movies. As for the problem with the timeline, I think they could still have elements of Zahn's books (like Grand Admiral Thrawn) but change the story enough to have it focus on Jacen and Jaina instead of the older people. Some people would probably hate that, but I'm mostly interested in seeing Grand Admiral Thrawn again if he gets to do his awesome Thrawn things, and it wouldn't bother me if they twisted the timeline to do it. If they don't do the Thrawn series, I hope they don't do the EU at all with the exception of maybe a nod here or there.

Also, since someone asked, the reason I personally hate The New Jedi Order books and anything that happens after that is that I hate tragedy. I hate what happens to Jacen's character. I'm not making any statement about the quality of the writing. This is a personal preference for me. So if you like tragedy, then I get why you would like that series. But the whole reason I first loved Star Wars is because it's ultimately about hope. Bad things happen, but it all turns out okay in the end. I would love it if the ST returned to the optimism of the OT. As much as I would love to see some tie-ins to the EU, I'd be happy with any well-written story that doesn't depress me.
    Last edited by Teniel Djo, Apr 4, 2014
    ChildOfWinds and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    The only characters from the EU, that I see making it into the new timeline are Jacen, Jaina, and possibly Mara Jade, and that is because George Lucas was involved in the Thrawn Trilogy. Remember though, the movie is supposed to take place 21 years after TTT.
    ScorpionJedi likes this.
  8. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6

And just like Pete Burns, it goes from that to this...

[IMG]
  9. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    I can see them cherry picking characters and concepts from the EU ala Thrawn much like how Marvel's Winter Solider movie took a chunk of Winter Solider's story from the comics, but it wasn't beholden to viewing the comics as canon to the films. Same deal here (not that I say I think Thrawn will be the villain of the ST but I think he'll be used in some medium going forward). The EU will be used in the Disney era to take things from much like how TCW did. TCW didn't try to keep the EU as canon but there is a hellova lot of EU in TCW.

I think the notion of a character being the exact same thing across all mediums is kinda wonky. When something jumps medium, there is going to be an inherent change to it because they've literally jumped from one medium to another.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Apr 4, 2014
    Ryus and Darth_Pevra like this.
  10. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    i want to see imperial remnants infiltrate the new republic and have han get killed for discovering it.
  11. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    ^ No no please don't have Han killed liked that or at all :( I can see some of the old Admirals/Generals like Akbar from the rebels who defeated the Empire getting killed off by imperial remnants. I would like to see Thrawn but timeline would be off and I think he would come out later when Disney does a anamation series of Star Wars between VI and VII.
    mattman8907 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5

Well, for a hypothetical: let's say Thrawn pops in the ST. 30 years after ROTJ. All alive and well, nobody's ever heard of him before, he is a "new" antagonist character to the good guys / 96% of the viewing audience. Luke, Leia, Han, and no idea who this guy is because Episode 7 is the first time they've ever seen him ever. It's Thrawn, acting like Thrawn, looking like Thrawn, doing Thrawn stuff for the Imperials. The characterization would stick very close to how he was done before in the EU.But, obviously, it would muck with the continuity set in the books, if not outright chuck it. However, as mentioned, Thrawn in the movie with all his Thrawn-ness. Would you not want that simply because it discards the EU canon or the fact that Thrawn is Thrawn-ing it up in the ST make you okay with that choice?
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Apr 6, 2014
    Ryus likes this.
  13. Fastback Jedi Master

star 1
    I loved the Thrawn trilogy and would love to see him in a movie if they would have started VII 20 years ago or so or they did the big 3 younger versions CGI. Disney could do a tv series of the Thrawn trilogy but they would need to get it right. I guess if JJ wrote him in it better be good and make sense for me to get over EU timeline mucked up.
  14. hckymdgt Jedi Youngling

With a 30 year time line, I have to believe the Vong war is going to be involved somehow, or mentioned. But I could easily see them focusing the trilogy on, instead, Jacen's actions postwar as he becomes Caedus. That is a great, self-contained story driven by the characters rather than the scary aliens like the Vong, and is much shorter. The only sad thing is that we wouldn't see Anakin Solo.

This would allow us to see Jacen, Jaina, Ben Skywalker as the big three, and to have the original big 3 focusing on being voices of reason and advice: Luke trying from afar to stop Jacen, but he's also conflicted because he doesn't want to be overly controlling in his son's coming-of-age. Jaina (Sword of the Jedi) grappling with the conflict of having to face her brother. Ben Skywalker being taken in and doing the same thing.

I wonder if they would show us Jacen turning, or have it all off screen as a surprise. There are a lot of angles a creative team could take with the basic concept of Jacen trying to take over for the greater good, going Sith, and having his sister/cousin have to deal with it.
  15. Beezer Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The quote was the E7 would "pick up where 6 left off."

Buh bye Vong, buh-bye Darth Cadeus, hello Chewbacca, buh-bye post ROTJ EU. :D
  16. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    They wouldn't do DNT or LOTF. Jacen falling is a rip-off of Anakin falling. Lame. If I want that, I'd read the books.
    Ryus and HanSolo29 like this.
  17. Palpatine2016 Jedi Grand Master

star 3

Well now I'm looking at his plastic surgery photos. Thanks, internet.
  18. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP!
  19. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    This thread is now worse than the first version of the Casting Thread.
  20. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    Disagree. The original (and best) "Casting Thread" was the stuff of legend. I don’t think it will ever be bested.
    Last edited by Krueger, Apr 7, 2014
  21. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Well if we start posting more of these awful photos then perhaps it will.
  22. TigerCraneFist Chosen One

star 4
  23. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    First to ruin to thread with pics of the Expanded Universe.

[IMG]
    Krueger and The Hellhammer like this.
  24. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    No! I was just joking! As you were!
  25. Darth_Zidious Force Ghost

star 4
    Hello Chewie and goodbye EU restrictions!