Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    No, I think the EU is safe. I heard Chewie's a Force Ghost. All is well.
    Lurknomore likes this.
  2. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    We don't know how much change there will be. I could see them figuring that the Thrawn Trilogy at least was popular enough to keep - even if they don't keep the NJO.
  3. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5

It boils down to "keeping Thrawn Trilogy" would mean Jacen & Jania about 25 years old, none of the casting descriptions really indicate twins in the proper age range. Also Thrawn would be dead and they couldn't play with the character again, really. (Unless, y'know, more clones)

I do think we'll see something like a Thrawn Trilogy adaption sometime in the Disney era due to it being a popular thing amongst the hardcore fanbase, but I don't see it being "kept" as in "canon". Too many potential pitfalls there. But considering Disney has already made 300 million dollars off a very lose adaptation of "The Winter Solider" Captain America arc I can see a few EU stories being yanked out and made into movies. But something like "This novel series from two decades ago is canon and official a part of the backstory of Episode 7".
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Apr 7, 2014
  4. hachijedi Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    YES, CHEWIE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[IMG]
  5. Buddha Fett Chosen One

star 4

Chewie was a Jedi? News to me.
    In other news, Chewie will be in Episode VII, so he's not actually dead.

[IMG]
    Krueger, The Hellhammer and TheBBP like this.
  6. ScorpionJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Those guys and Ben Skywalker and maybe Thrawn are the minimum extended characters I want.
  7. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    And with the news that Chewie has survived and will appear in EVII, JJ implores fans of the EU to "Just look at the Flowers..."

[IMG]
  8. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
  9. hachijedi Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

Here's a list of every Star Wars EU Book. There has to be over 100 novels here. We honestly can't expect the films to really cover all this right? I do agree with the EU fans though. This is a lot of hard work to just write out, these authors brought a lot to this franchise.
    Last edited by hachijedi, Apr 7, 2014
    Iron_lord likes this.
  10. InterestingLurker Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, they did.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Moreover, LucasFilm has also told Hasbro to stop making Expanded Universe action figures:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13152

Of course, the people working on the film could certainly include characters or planets from the EU, thus canonizing them, like what TCW did.
    Darth_Pevra, Lurknomore and TheBBP like this.
  11. chris hayes Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Chewie survived that moon ? that's amazing......
  12. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    I keep pushing for a Bill & Ted's Excellent Retcon Adventure crossover comic, myself!
  13. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Before everyone starts celebrating the demise of the Expanded Universe, how about you...don't.

The Chewie thing is an as-yet unconfirmed rumor.
    Darth_Downunder likes this.
  14. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Darth_Pevra and Lurknomore like this.
  15. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    It should be noted that the Illustrated Fact File is still going on - and includes TFU information.
  16. InterestingLurker Force Ghost

star 4
    Just as a disclaimer, I don't care if the Expanded Universe is "canon" or not "canon." As long as the quality is good, that's all that matters to me. However, I will say that I don't want them to follow anything stupid like the New Jedi Order series or the Legacy of the Force series. Actually, while I do enjoy some of the post-ROTJ EU, I think most of it is a mess. Regardless, it's not my view on the EU as a whole, just the part that takes place after ROTJ.
    Last edited by InterestingLurker, Apr 8, 2014
    HanSolo29 likes this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    It's not so much the rumor itself, it's the unholy glee that some are exhibiting about the supposed demise of the Expanded Universe.

Don t getta me wrongo, I think that most of the post-RotJ material is pretty craptastic (and I say this as a founding member of the EUDF, if anyone remembers them), and I've long been a naysayer about including EU material in the ST, but I don't think that dancing on the EU's grave is called for.
    Circular Logic, Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  18. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    It's just a bit of a wind up, Merk, no one's calling for a mass round up/recall of the books etc. etc. or ending all EU discussion, or other potential EU elements in the movies. Just as the EU elements bleed over into other threads, joy in the idea that Peter (who has been the most consistently visible OT actors, who utterly adores his character and embraces it) is potentially getting his reward. For all we know (horror of horrors) it could be for a 'flashback' (please, for all that's Star Wars, No) or a dream, or something.
  19. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    It's one thing to be jubilant about the possibility of Chewie's return. But this spirit of "In your face, book fans!" is what I find distasteful.
  20. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 4
    Don't mean to be insensitive, but haven't book/comic/cartoon fans heard GL's comments from a few years ago about the EU? He said it's all a "parallel universe" that exists separate to his world created in the movies. So now they're making more movies...& people are surprised or upset that they diverge from the EU ?? I don't get that.
    Dewback, DarthBreezy and TheBBP like this.
  21. The Hellhammer 7SA Forum Interrogator

Game Host
    star 5
  22. werpudel Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    then again, GL also said that there will be no episodes VII, VIII or IX. he also said a lot of other stuff which he himself completely ignored the next day. uhm, yes and there's that thing about Anakin's padawan who we never ever heard of in EP III, VI, V and VI ;)
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 4
    She's from the parallel universe too ;)
  24. werpudel Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    nope, that's movie-canon as defined by LFL
  25. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 4
    That was "defined" pre January 2014, so under the old redundant system.

I didn't actually type that, it was a keyboard malfunction [face_whistling]
    Dewback likes this.