Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Vos was in Ep I before the EU, though the EU named him and gave him history.... Enough to return for TCW (though altered for kids)
    Last edited by Ryus, Apr 22, 2014
  2. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    The question is whether characters from the EU will be brought into the sequels, not whether characters from the sequels will be brought into the EU. By saying Vos was in E1 is not an example of Lucas taking a character from the EU and bringing him into the movie. Rather, the EU took a character from the movie and brought them into the EU. The EU did the same thing with Aurra Sing (not to mention countless others). Sing was in E1 for roughly 1 second and then became the main subject of all sorts of stories, comics, etc..... but, like Vos, she wasn't a pre-existing EU character brought into the movie (by "pre-existing" please note I mean prior to the production of E1, not the actual release date).

Lucas admitted that mentioning Vos by name in E3 was a subtle wink-and-nod to the EU, as was Cin Drallig in the Jedi Temple recordings. I wouldn't expect anything more than that from the sequels in regards to already-existing EU characters. However, much like Vos and Sing, I have no doubt that the EU will take someone with 2 seconds of E7 screen time and create all sorts of backstories and comics, etc.
    Last edited by Beezer, Apr 22, 2014
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    @Beezer lol, I totally forgot all about Vos' name drop in III. Sorry, my bad. Never mind me.
  4. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    How was Cin Drallig in the Jedi Temple a "subtle wink-and-nod to the EU," - Cin Dralling was Nic Gillard, aka the stunt co-ordinator/swordsman (and all around sweetheart).
    WatTamborWoo likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    I restate: I find it incredibly unlikely that 6+ hours of ST are gonna breeze by without entirely a single EU character adapted into the story. That's a lot of content, eventually somebody is gonna pop open a Star Wars reference book and steal something.

When I say "adapted" I do not mean "This means the EU is canon", I literally mean someone taking a name or a character design or style, etc.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Apr 22, 2014
    Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. JeeediMoriah Jedi Padawan

So perhaps the VII folks don't use any EU story arcs/characters as inspiration...but I hope they at least borrow/nod to some themes and elements from the more talented EU authors. Granted, Troy Denning made a mess of a lot of the characters/arcs but there were many novels by Zahn and some stand alone New Jedi Order novels (Traitor anyone?) that left a lasting impression on me and I'm sure others.

For me, it's less about specific characters/story arcs (ie. solo children, vong, galactic alliance) and more about how unique the backdrop was in the Zahn/NJO series and how human the characters were. Borrowing these artistic elements shouldn't be a problem, especially since the empire left the rebel alliance and jedi in such an ambiguous state. I think Zahn did a brilliant job at picking up the story and speculating how things would be, the rebuilding of a new republic and a new jedi order with the original three at the helm still seems perfectly rational to me.

I just hope that everything isn't so glossed over like in the PT/TCW. I'm not saying everything should be dark and tragic, but I felt that certain writers, Zahn, Allston, and Stover deserve some flattery in the form of imitation. They brought thematic elements to the universe that were gritty, sometimes dark, sometimes humorous, and above all a little more mature then the PT/TCW which I believe was appropriate for events after RotJ and in line with the artistic direction of the OT.

That being said, the fangirl inside me would also love to see a blonde, part vong, part tuscan raider, part darksider, part jedi, part bounty hunter up on that big screen. But the odds don't look so good. Who knows...maybe they'll do an 'Amazing' Star Wars in 10 years!
    Last edited by JeeediMoriah, Apr 23, 2014
    D'an, Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  7. sluggo1313. Jedi Grand Master

star 4

And again, why would they? Do you honestly think that creative people like Abrams NEEDS to borrow those ideas, and/or that if he doesn't have an idea of his own that he wouldn't go to Lucas first?

And what I'm saying is, why would Abrams need to crack open the EU to get a name or alien design?
  8. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 5
    Agreed, except with regards to Rebels. Since Rebels is being made under the new regime I think there might be some tie ins with its places & characters.
  9. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 4
    Kind of like Couruscant and Aayla Secura?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    Right, but I thought the character had an EU backstory prior to the production of E3. If I'm wrong then I stand corrected.
  11. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    :) He was given a cameo as a 'job well done' kinda nod.

He's such a doll - and he owns one of the two prints I made of my avatar.
  12. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    He was referenced in Labyrinth of Evil - however that was a very short reference - and probably after it was already established that this would be the instructor's name in the upcoming RotS movie.
  13. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
  14. markdeez33 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  15. thecurseofchris Jedi Master

star 1
    Please pardon me if this is off-topic and/or not allowed, but I have a question that maybe someone could answer. When Heir to the Empire was released, was there any statements made by LFL of how it would tie-in to the canonical policy? Because on the back of the book, it says it's the "authorized continuation" of the saga, so I'm not sure if that specific phrase would have any effects on how we portray the EU.
  16. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6

*chokes*

Unless something is directly contradicted by the movies or TV shows (Rebels/Clone Wars) for our purposes here, it is considered 'canon' as per Lucasfilm. Now whether those events get regulated to 'Infinities/Alternate Universe/whatever' by E-7 remains to be seen.

Now let me go wash my virtual mouth out with soap... [face_sick]
  17. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    Fact is that it was never really terribly well thought out, but I don't think they ever imagined that people would debate whether or not something "really happened" when it's all just one big fictional universe. I don't think they thought for a second people would take it as ridiculously seriously as they do, coupled with the notion that back then there was no widespread use of the internet so things like that got little more than a passing article in a magazine or two.
    Eternal_Jedi and DarthBreezy like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5

It's not that hard, I simply do not believe that absolutely 100% of everything in the entire ST will be 100% new and originally created for the ST and absolutely nothing over the course of 3 movies will steal names, places, characters, design and inspiration from the EU. There's a giant wealth of materiel, somebody down the line is eventually going to look at it. Character designs and various names and organizations and planets were taken from the EU throughout the PT and Clone Wars. I don't see why that would change considering how it happened quite a bit for the last decade and a half.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Apr 24, 2014
    Iron_lord likes this.
  19. chris hayes Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I expect some EU cameo's in the ST perhaps many......
  20. thecurseofchris Jedi Master

star 1
    Thanks for your response. I agree with you. I'm sure no one even thought that Star Wars would even continue beyond the prequel trilogy's conclusion when they were announced.

I'd be curious to know if there were any sort of written agreements or contracts when Heir to the Empire was created.
  21. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I know that contractually any intellectual property anyone creates belongs to LFL. So if they reprint Heir to the Empire and it sells 100,000 copies, Timothy Zahn gets royalties. But if the use Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade or Coruscant in comics, other books or movies, he doesn't.
    Last edited by Beezer, Apr 24, 2014
  22. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ryus likes this.
  23. Gallandro Chosen One

star 4

[IMG]

The Story Group has a message for you:

"Wipe it out.... all of it."
  24. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    It’s for the best in the long run.
  25. sluggo1313. Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Again, why not? When ABrams is writing why would he take the time to go look up a name or planet instead of just making one up?