main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I love the Old EU too, but it's best to accept the new stuff that is coming.

They don't do flashbacks in Star Wars movies, or prologue scenes.
    Things are explained through opening crawls, and character discussions about the past.

2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    It isn't the notion of a main character dying that upsets people. It seems to me that a lot of people here are expecting such a thing will happen.

Rather, it is the notion of a main character dying off screen, between movies, that would be incredibly poorly done. Giving Chewie's death a sentence during the opening crawl, or maybe a single line of dialogue, would be incredibly lame. Not only would that upset the die-hards, but the casual viewer doesn't have the first clue about Vector Prime, the Vong, or the moon that Chewie bumped into. Sometimes real world concerns get in the way of moviemaking (i.e. an actor dies in real life), and audiences tend to be forgiving of such things. But there is no "real world" reason not to have Chewbacca in the ST.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Then find out!
    The material is there! Read!

Fastback likes this.
  4. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

I don't think they'll kill Chewy. They'll probably kill Luke, if not in Episode VII, then in VIII or IX.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You can't ask every movie-goer to read Vector Prime to get an answer as to why Chewie is dead.

6. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Why not it is there for anyone to read. I think you can't just tell EU readers what they read to forget it happen forget all EU. I also agree and understand not all EU material is good but there are alot of good stories, characters, planets etc. Lucas used alot from EU for PT and TCW that he did not think of.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Every movie-goer? Really? Pretty sure a lot of on here know about it.
    Info is out there isn't it? Has been for 15 years.
    Get it in person or electronically.
    So being lazy is an acceptable excuse?

Fastback likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, a lot of people have read it. Most of the movie-going audience haven't.
    The information is out there, but Star Wars is first and foremost movies. Most causual fans (which would be, oh, 80% of the human race :p ) aren't even aware of the fact that there are books. Skipping an important story point, such as the death of a character in the films would make for strange story-telling.
    It's not being lazy, it's expecting to get the full story in the movies.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    There are thousands of excellent books in the world, more than anyone has time to read in their lifetime. To expect people to have read specific Star Wars tie-ins before they can enjoy the movie is unrealistic and not a little bit arrogant.

Also, isn't this one of the things RLM and his acolytes are always criticising the PT for doing?

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Star Wars saga is far bigger than just the movies. TV series', books, comics, games, etc have been part of it for years. Don't limit it.

11. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    I'm not limiting it. I'm also not expecting people to make a big investment in it before they're allowed to enjoy a new movie.

It's bad storytelling and bad business sense.

12. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    [quote="TigerCraneFist, post: 51425417, member: 715591[/quote]
    Yes, a lot of people have read it. Most of the movie-going audience haven't.
    The information is out there, but Star Wars is first and foremost movies. Most causual fans (which would be, oh, 80% of the human race :p ) aren't even aware of the fact that there are books. Skipping an important story point, such as the death of a character in the films would make for strange story-telling.
    It's not being lazy, it's expecting to get the full story in the movies.[/quote]

Sorry I could careless for the causual fans who are unaware of the books. Star Wars has been around since 70's and those of us who grew up with it and those after have had plenty of chances to watch all Star Wars movies and read the books before VII comes out. Star Wars became big because of the movies and expanded from there because of us Star War nuts kept it growing by continuing to support the Saga by reading, watching or playing games all things Star Wars. The Casual Fans out there who watch VII and like it and wonder who, what, where, why and they have many books to go back and read to understand.

13. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Yeah, that's a great idea.

"What? You've only watched the films? You haven't done any of the homework? Pfft. What a lightweight. Go home until you deserve to see this movie."

BigAl6ft6, Darth_Pevra, EHT and 4 others like this.
  14. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    Lol, I'm not saying that they don't deserve but at the same time don't punish us EU readers who like what we read that want to see that continued and included VII. I don't see how hard it is to understand that VII 30 years later from ROTJ can have major changes. JJ just needs to do a great job with the big 3's magic they had and bring that back and pass it on to the next gen in a all new story for all of us.

15. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Well, I consider myself a fan of the EU as well (not a hardcore fan, but a fan nonetheless), and I would love it if Episode VII is completely EU compatible. But it's unfortunately not realistic, for two reasons:

1. It severely limits what JJ et al can do with the movie. A story about Luke and his non-Force using, former Alliance medic wife arguing about the destiny of their two daughters is instantly out. So is a story where all the Imperial forces mysteriously vanished immediately after Endor.

2. Too much has happened that it would just seem weird to gloss over. If the entire galaxy was invaded by religious fanatic aliens from outside the galaxy, that needs to be seen or it will seem utterly random and bizarre.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel Star Wars prequlization comic is a definite thing. They've been doing that for all of their movies, even the non-Marvel Studios ones (ie. Amazing Spider-Man). It's very logical to assume there will be prequel comics.

Before Ep. 7 is doubtful because, as far as anyone on publishing goes, all they say is "we know nothing about Ep. 7 ever" over and over and over. I'm sure there will be Ep. 8 / Ep. 9 prequel novels because the universe will be established by that point.

A comic is a different beast than a full novel, they can make them under tighter deadlines. And Marvel has been prequel-comic-ing everything lately so I see that as a thing. Ep. 7 prequel novel, not so much. If only because the space is so darn blank.

There isn't anything in the movies that says how old Luke is. All we see is baby Luke and then grown up Luke. He is going to be as old as Mark Hamill is, and they can always retcon his age in ANH to be as old as he was in 1977 as opposed to the 19 year old he's supposed to be.

Assuming anyone cares about ages and dates of characters. I mean, you think anyone is going to say "Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, who is 49 years old". Dates in Star Wars are vague and ill-defined at best. Heck, the only time you get a reference to time passing in between movies is Anakin saying "I haven't seen her in 10 years, Master." Outta 6 whole movies, one line!

Luke will be as old as Mark Hamill is and timeline be damned.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Looking at Shadow Hunter and Cloak of Deception for Episode 1, they came out after Episode 1 did by two years.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah the TPM prequel novels were after the fact because they couldn't jump headfirst into an unknown world and write a whole damn prequel novel. There were prequel novels to Ep. 2 / Ep. 3 because stuff had been established by then, which I foresee repeating for Ep. 8 / Ep. 9. Ep. 7? No way. For a novel. Marvel is gonna get a prequel 3-4 issue comic down the pike come September 2015 for issue #1 damn skippy. Maybe even November and do it bi-monthly.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty much my stance, even as someone who would love to see those religious fanatic aliens.

20. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but let me assure you most undoubtedly that that is now how the people making Episode 7 feel.

21. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    So somewhere in those 95 odd years, Luke dies... That settles it!

23. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    After Episode VII comes out, I'm sure they will make comics and novels set during the 30 years between ROTJ and the ST. They'll have all the relevant information then, so why not?

24. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Somehow I never realized that Cloak of Deception came out so long after TPM. Oh well, there goes that hope. I could see maybe a four-part lead in comic or something like that then.

BigAl6ft6 and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't remember the date that I first saw Cloak of Deception in stores but do remember the first time I saw that book in stores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.