main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So what this sounds like to me is: "Hey everyone. You're getting a new story in Episodes VII-IX. We may borrow from what already exists, but trust us, it's brand new! So don't compare the two, ok, thanks, bye!"

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's that then. Personally, it makes perfect sense, so no qualms from me. I will say that I'm really looking forward to the new tales that they will tell. I was fed up with the storyline post-NJO and stopped reading the books completely, so it will be nice to have a clean slate in that era.

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Krueger likes this.
  4. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    [​IMG]

I AM LEGEEEEENNNNNNNDDDDDD!!!!!

5. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    They released this on a Friday. Good marketing strategy.

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think casting announcements are now imminent. Maybe they wanted to get the "bad news" out there quickly followed by "good news".

7. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    The post-ROTJ EU will now be told as non-canon ''Legends'' stories, I'm OK with that. ;)

Ryus, Krueger and Dra--- like this.
  8. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    I thought it was a nice tip of the hat to focus a few seconds (longer than most of the archived footage) on Aaron Allston signing an X-Wing poster for a young fan. He'll be sorely missed.

Yancy

JediGirl_Angelina and Ryus like this.
  9. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Don't forget this statement, which ends all debate on the canonicity of TCW:

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Until they change their minds in 10-20 years.

HL&S likes this.
  12. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    The (old) EU is far from dead, it's just it's place in ''canon'' no longer matters. But as long as fans of the books still enjoy those stories for what they are (regardless of continuity), then they'll still buy and enjoy reading them.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i also never bought into a clone emperor or evil luke. that just seemed lame.

you can always look at those as an alternate universe anyway.

14. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998

I'm canon... an immovable object, deal with it!

[​IMG]

15. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Expected and the smarter route to go.

Have to say that having it spelled out does bum me out more than I expected it to. I guess my largest disappointment is that the Clone Wars is retaining a higher level of canon. Much of it feels to fit within the structure of the six episodes less well than a lot of the novels in my opinion...

16. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    EU Fans:
    [​IMG]

Jason Swank:
    [​IMG]

17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    BigAl6ft6, Gallandro and Spork111 like this.
  18. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Pretty funny. They announce the post ROTJ EU is dead, but then encourage people to keep buying it under a "Legends" rebrand, lol. They lack the courage of their convictions me thinks.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  19. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    so basically because "Lucas spent many hours" on "developing" TCW, it has higher level of Canon than the EU that actually tried to have continuity?

ho-dee-hum.

Robimus likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas Logic for you.

Ryus and Robimus like this.
  21. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    The EU being "dead" is *our* wording though, not theirs. To me, this is similar to what comics have been doing for a long time, establishing alternate realities to allow different stories to be told.

Honestly I think this EU thing is a good call. For all the fans of that work, it's not like it'll all be bonfired, and many of the ideas and concepts in those stories will more than likely turn up again going forward.

TCW did have an internal continuity, and for better or worse, never really tried to expand the expanded universe. Personally I don't mind that it zigs where the EU zags.

In everywhere except Star Wars fandom apparently, "canon" generally means something more like "the greatest hits", more than "how it all actually went down." That's probably how we ought to be thinking about it too, especially now. I mean it's all just fiction anyway.

Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Of course it isn't their wording :p They still want everyone to keep spending money on it.

But it is what they said even if not using those exact words. They are saying they will use the EU like TCW did, which is to say it will be strip mined for ideas but not respected. So it is gonzo...except all those 'legends' books they will be filling store shelves with.

23. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'm interested in that A New Dawn book, loved John Jackson Miller's work on Kenobi.

Artoo-Dion and EternalHero like this.
  24. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998

Well yeah... considering he created the damn thing it kind of makes sense that what the creator says goes versus a novelist hired to write a book in that universe.

Yancy

25. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    Ugh, this whole thing is making me nervous. Does this mean Del Rey is still the publisher for Star Wars books?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.