main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I wonder for Episode VII, if they are not going to follow the same story, will they use the same names?

BTW, a lot of these alien babes showed in the video are incredibly hot, just saying :p

2. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012

I agree with this attitude. I also like how they are calling it "LEGENDS". Wookiepedia is going to be a mess though now trying to separate it.

3. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Sorry I informed someone.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hmm. I'm intrigued by these new books. Tarkin! By Luceno!
    Heir to the Jedi, hmm. interesting.
    Lords of the Sith. Kemp! Finally.

Believe whatever you want to. Just not holding my breath that this new cannon lasts for the rest of the eternity.
    I won't be surprised to see a 3rd CW series eventually.

Ryus likes this.
  5. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

Yes, they had been waffling for some while at ceasing production with Season 7, but ultimately had decided on 8. They had fully fleshed out stories for the remaining 3 season and were deep into production on Season 6 when the plug was pulled. A number of Season 7 episodes had audio already recorded by the actors.

Yancy

6. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Ugh. Everytime I hear of unfinished episodes of the unfinished seasons I get sad...Very sad.

Gallandro likes this.
  7. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    They will release the remaining Episodes in Pog Form

Artoo-Dion and Doop like this.
  8. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    So, canon is now officially what Pablo Hidalgo officially said it was months ago?

9. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Well not exactly... Until or unless something in the new continuity explicitly contradicts the old, the old should be regarded as being something that still "happened."

I.e. unless some guy stands up in the new movies or forthcoming EU and says, for example "There was never an Imperial admiral named Thrawn" or some such thing, the existence of the Imperial Chiss admiral Thrawn should be regarded as being something that still happened in the SWU.

At least, that's how I figure it. I mean, they're selling the EU under the legends banner, but that doesn't mean they're saying "none of the stuff in these books actually happened in the true star wars timeline". At least, they haven't explicitly stated that.

As such, it looks to me like they've changed the names and labels a bit and talked some talk but the old EU at the end of it remains in the same position as it always was - the realm of "might-be canon" which can be treated as canon so long as nothing in the definitively canon timeline contradicts it.

Samayel_ likes this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Goodbye Force Unleashed. It (wasn't) nice knowing you.

This raises the question, though, as to what about the pre-TPM EU and EU that happened after ANH but before ROTJ. Like Shadows of the Empire and the KOTOR era. There are still questions that need answering.

I would genuinely hate to see the superb Darth Bane trilogy go. Saying that, I have a feeling that the Darth Plagueis novel is safe. Could be just the way the video was edited, but as soon as they started to talk about the new EU going forward and how it is all going to be canon from now on, it quickly showed the Darth Plagueis cover.

Ryus likes this.
  11. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Maybe this "Legends" Stuff and prievious EU will be changed into an alternate universe instead of being completely noncanon.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. SnaggletoothPaste

SnaggletoothPaste Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    Just for the sake of definitive answers, Jen Heddle of LFL answered the question of the Maul comics' canonicity:

Also, this, as far as whether there's anything new coming in the now-old EU:

Lurknomore likes this.
  13. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Just watch this "new" canon get replaced in a few years.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    That's not how I interpret this announcement. Heck, that's really nothing different from the way it used to be prior to today.

Let's just say that if Star Wars canon was a stock, I wouldn't recommend investing in anything other than the actual movies. :D

Mystery Roach likes this.
  15. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    StarWarsBooks ‏@DelReyStarWars 4m #StarWars Heir to the Jedi by @KevinHearne with jacket art by Larry Rostant on sale 1/15 pic.twitter.com/Tq53hsUX28
    StarWarsBooks ‏@DelReyStarWars 4m #StarWars Lords of the Sith by PaulsKemp with jacket art by Aaron McBride on sale 3/15 pic.twitter.com/T3nKHh6qnY

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Another note on our canon policy. We updated it with minor changes a few days ago, but we are in the process of updating it again now in light of today's official announcement. It will be published (replacing the existing policy post) soon.

As always, though, everyone please play nice. [face_peace]

Darkslayer and Lurknomore like this.
  17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    This announcement makes me giddy. I hope the new authors are regulated away from ideas like Chewie getting hit by a moon and skeletor and clones of every baddie imaginable.

BigAl6ft6, stormcloud8 and Gallandro like this.
  18. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Interesting. I wonder if it leads up to the ST.

EDIT- Just saw the new LOTS cover. Maybe its an anthology of all sith lords?

19. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

No it doesn't, they lay out what Canon is, and say that prequel to Rebels is the first new canon novel. So the PT era stuff and non-post RotJ stuff is gone too.

Lurknomore and Mystery Roach like this.
  20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    You could be right, but the original press release specifically only mentions post-ROTJ EU. I just find it strange how they don't mention anything before ROTJ. Should have been more clear in the press release.

Ryus and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    LOTS is set post ROTS and pre Rebels. Palps and Vader get stranded on an insurgent planet and have to fight their way off.

markdeez33, Lurknomore, Ryus and 3 others like this.
  22. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Does anyone else feel like this was ultimately Lucas's idea? I mean I saw interviews where he said he didn't agree with Luke being married or having kids. Was this Lucas way to keep the story 100% his while not disrespecting the hard work of all those authors? Also hopefully some of these authors get to write the new canon books. Like Timothy Zahn.

23. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    Jen Heddle of LFL said that the Darth Plagueis novel falls under "Legends" but that the character is canon because he was mentioned in ROTS. Hopefully he won't be a Muun now if they tell any future Plagueis stories.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Satipo
    Really? Very intriguing.

In the old EU you never really saw them fighting side by side. Should be an interesting dynamic.

Lurknomore and Satipo like this.
  25. Darth Doop

Apr 24, 2014
    Oh. I guess that's neat, but its not what I was expecting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.