main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Actually that isn't true, one perfect example was Star Wars Galaxies. There were many things that the developers weren't able to put into the game because there was the possibility of it going against an already established level of Canon (films, books, stc). One of those things was very limited interaction with the main characters from the Movies in the game. I am sure there were other games that had those talks as well after LFL started cracking down on continuity (spelling?). With that said, there were some continuity errors in SWG though..

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Then those fans haven't been paying attention over the years.

"There are two worlds here. There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, but they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe." - George Lucas, 2001

STARLOG: "The Star Wars Universe is so large and diverse. Do you ever find yourself confused by the subsidiary material that's in the novels, comics, and other offshoots?"
    LUCAS: "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions." - Starlog Magazine, 2005

3. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Yes. As long as contradictions are few, the make-it-up-for-yourself approach is fine. Once the writers/rights-holders begin to contradict themselves, canon does matter. MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF!!! Uh, to an extent.

4. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly this. I never got to into the EU because it wasn't part of the actual story. But that was just me. I knew it was out there. Even read a couple things. But while reading it, I couldn't stop thinking that none of it matters. Chewy isn't dead, because I did SEE him die. Now, there will be OFFICIAL literature to the Star Wars universe, and I will be reading everything that comes out. Why? Because it's part of the story and I want to know all of it :)

Lurknomore and Lord Nikon like this.
  5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012

My understanding is that ancillary media is going to be handled in a 100% opposite way. Meaning that instead of an author coming up with an idea, sending a manuscript to Disney, having it approved with editorial tweaks, and then having it published, Disney is going to hire authors to tell the stories they want told. So all other media sources will be drawing from existing film and TV only. It will all come from Disney. Which makes a a lot more sense, since why have a ton of novelists writing their own thing and potentially polluting the canon pool?

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

That's a no. The EU didn't keep the majority of potential Star Wars ticket buyers hungry for more. It created a nice, steady cash flow to Lucasfilms as it pushed endless merchandize to a limited selection of people who were interested enough in Star Wars to keep buying stuff.

But Star Wars was big enough in film only form that it didn't need a single piece of EU to survive. New episodes created in the 90s and on would have been just as big, and just as anticipated, without any of the EU material created between 83 and 99.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The updated canon policy has been posted. Everyone please play nice. :cool:

9. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Tell you what homey, you come in here swinging around your stick of judgement...I get to hit you back with it.

You last comment though is HILARIOUS. so we are dismissing fiction as a whole now? Stories don't matter, and go whatever way the wind blows? My, how wishy washy of you.

Look, you're here, on Star Wars forums, with a name hoisted from ASOIAF (which I'm going to assume you only know about from the HBO show... ;) ) and try to stand on a soapboax saying that in the end it's all fiction so why should it matter. I don't even know where to start man...you're here to talk about a fictional universe...that KIND of means we get to discuss said fictional universe. You don't get to REMOVE the idea of canon from discussion just because you find it to be useless...you buy into SW enough to post on The Force.net forums as a story, means I get to talk to you about canon and how people see it. If you want to converse, don't be offensive about the portions of that discussion you dislike.

10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Important to who? A handful of diehards that even know this conversation exists?

Not important to Disney, I can assure you that. What is "canon" today will be readily contradicted tomorrow the moment that JJ, KK, who whomever, has a really cool idea for the films, or a new video game, that blatantly contradicts this new "canon".

The word "canon" only exists to sell stuff. The moment that it hinders that end, you'll notice that canon will shift yet again. This conversation is due to be repeated 10 years from now, if not sooner.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    By a "handful of diehards" you're referring to every one of us on these forums, as well as many other SW fans. You should include yourself in this. If you don't care about the issue why are you posting about it?

With respect, you're sounding like a cynical conspiracy theorist with all of your anti-corporate ravings.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I know all about SWG, I played it.

Still missed the point.

There will always been discontinuity in a video game if the means justify the means. If they can push more units giving Jedi a level of superpowers that eclipse the films, they'll do it. I guarantee you. Disney will stick to the "canon" talk to the extent that it doesn't hinder profits. No more, no less.

13. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    I wonder if there's any wiggle room for things like Pablo Hidalgo's Clone Wars webcomics and whatnot.

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I've been hit by an internet stick of judgement! OH NO!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

They matter to the degree that you want them to matter. That's the point.

With a name I came up with and have been using online since I was teenager...in the 90s. Try again.

You feel better now? Good.

Now how does this change anything about what's being discussed here?

15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Ha!

You think I'm "anti-corporate" because I concede that corporations...want to make money? That this whole idea of what is "canon" today will expire if, and when, the current "canon" stands in the way of Disney (or whomever) being able to sell more merchandise? Take a look at every single long running fictional franchise in existence; they all have the exact same "canonical" debate. There are no conspiracy theories here, this is basic business common sense.

But sure, if you truly believe that today's canon will be forever's canon, have at it. Perhaps we'll be here in 20 years and able to pick this conversation up yet again.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Okay, that's enough. Canon debating isn't allowed and you all know it.

EHT, Dra--- and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Like I said in a comment above, I don't think that's going to happen because everything will be coming from Disney itself, starting with the movies as top tier. It's no longer the era of, essentially, Lucas approved fan fiction. I doubt they're going to try to fill in the gaps between the new movies with novels. Instead, they're going to follow the MCU blueprint and make more movies. Games are trickier, but now that the EU is gone, there's plenty of room to breathe.

But, I do agree with your larger point. There will likely be a time when the new status quo begins to crumble under its own weight and will need to be swept away. It happens. Comics have been doing that sort of thing for decades. That's why I don't buy into the need for things to be canon in order to enjoy them. At the end of the day, Lucas' or Disney's stamp of approval doesn't really mean anything. And, really, fans have been selective with canon anyway. See: Holiday Special, Ewok movies, Ewoks and Droids cartoons, etc.

EDIT: Sorry, mavjade, didn't see your warning until after I posted.

Lurknomore, Dra--- and jaqen like this.
  18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Actually I did not know it. I've been here for 10 years, but have had only had a few streaks of posting here during that time. I've never been in a canon debate that I can recall, and had no idea it was an off limits thing.

I apologize. I wouldn't have even gone there had I known. I'll move along from the canon talk.

19. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    This cartoon expresses what I didn't like about the books and why I feel that a major reboot was warranted:

*too far

LawJedi and KevinM1 like this.
  20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OK, I just could NOT leave this unchallenged.

THIS mentality is what fans the fire in many 'EU haters' - this and the 'You're not a 'TRUE' Star Wars Fan if you don't like the EU/PT/OT whatever' - but at least with the latter, it can be attributed to personal taste.

But to imply that people who don't like some of the utter dreck that has had a Star Wars label slapped on it is beyond the pale. One (adult 'best seller') book I tried to read must have been edited by a monkey - it was grammatically unbearable, even for a bit of light fluff. It made Barbara Carltland look like Stephan Hawking. The characterization was the very least of its issues (although the few passages I managed to wallow through without mentally whipping out the Dramamine were horrific in and of themselves). I wanted to whip out a red pen of correction, and then send it back to the publisher with a note saying 'Fire your editor!'

I hope with the New-EU or what ever they call it, not only do they hire people who will keep the Universe consistent (and it depends on whether the promise of the story is intriguing enough for me to want to part with a hard earned coin of either my time or my money to invest in it) they have people who's pages don't run red with MS Word corrections before it hits the bookstores.

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    This isn't a money making conspiracy or even a big deal. As I posted above, GL has said for years that the EU isn't canon. Now they've decided to make a sequel trilogy. The period where the films will be set will overlap & contradict alot of EU material. To make it clear, & for those people who haven't noticed GL's many comments over the years, they've officially announced that the EU isn't canon. This makes it crystal clear & paves the way for the ST & will hopefully prevent confusion.

That's it. Nothing to get angry & carry on about.

22. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Are you really this lost?

A number of people came on here expressing either outrage, mild upset, happiness, or distinterest in what is a fairly big story (and a fairly big part of fandom's media consumption over the last number of years)...and your input is "you're all a bunch of idiots anyways. why are we believing this is important? The corporations man! They are the ones resposible! Everyone here is a moron who's feelings about their entertainment consumption doesn't matter! You should all be flogged."

That's where I'm at duder. Where are you at? Care to reiterate one more time how no one on this threads opinion matters?

I'm willing to go twelve rounds, friend. But really the more you restate your negativity about what is being discussed, the more people will see you as a troll.

Then again, mayhaps this is your intent. And I should know better than to feed the trolls.

23. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It's a pretty momentous announcement today. We should have a forum to discuss it, as long as it's in a respectful way.

Just my humble opinion anyway.

Lord Nikon likes this.
  24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I think the business potential for the Legends branding belongs in this conversation.

Disney and Lucasfilm have left themselves a nice, business friendly out. If demand continues for any of the stories pre-dating this announcement, Disney can easily greenlight material that continues from the old EU, and just slap a "legends" headline on the top and roll with it. If it makes business sense they can have their cake, and eat it too. Instead of creating division, there is a chance they might embrace the whole nu-canon AND the legends, or alternate "reality", route. They'd hardly be the first business to take that route.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Do we have to separate you guys?

Lord Nikon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.