main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    An encyclopedia type thing is needed.

Samayel_ likes this.
  2. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    This is not a stab at those who enjoyed the EU...

Please can you accept the fact that while yes we did pay for the books and yes you have supported star wars while doing so
    this in no way makes disney beholden to fanboy dreams of EU stories becoming movies.
    we just have to face the fact that alot of the EU was just plain awful and disney has made the only choice it could and that is to dump it and start again.

you can still read your books and some of the characters may have a few easter egg moments on screen

but its time to build a bridge and get over it

I have read alot of EU and am happy that we will get fresh ideas

3. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    So wait are we sure that the Darth Plageuis novel is no longer canon? I thought the prequel era was safe and it was just the post-ROTJ stuff we had to worry about.

4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Yes, the Darth Plagueis novel is out. Everything bar the six films and TCW is out.

Darth_Pevra, purplerain and Satipo like this.
  5. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    That's just goofy. Especially since Luceno's got Tarkin coming out, which is going to be part of the new canon, right? Why not just have Tarkin and Plagueis both as part of it?? Ugh... I don't even care about the EU, but Plageuis was just a terrific book that added a lot of depth to the PT.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, it may still resurface in some form. It's just that the novel itself is not currently part of the canon.

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Because moving forward, clearly the story group don't want to be tied to the events in that novel, and possibly the depiction of Plagueis.

Does that mean Plagueis will show up in the new movies? No idea. But if he does, the film-makers will have their own take on him. It could be the same way Bane was changed from how he was portrayed in the EU to George's take on Bane in TCW.

Anything new in the Tarkin novel will already be integrated with what we know in ANH and how he may be used in Rebels (if he's used).

8. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, this tweet by Jennifer Heddle of the Lucasfilm Story Group confirms that the Darth Plagueis novel is Legends.

purplerain likes this.
  9. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Das a bummer yo

10. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Not only I think they are going to use Plagueis at some point, but I´d say we will know what they keep about the character in the upcomming The Sith Lords novel. Same with the new novels Del Rey is surely planning. I think they will use some key references to the old EU and will set the general lines of the backgroup story of the whole saga (The Old Republic) and the events between the OT and the ST, which is the ere that they need to wework the most IMO.

11. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    Are the 1981 NPR radio dramatizations non-canon now?

If so, no more "Tantive IV" and "Devastator".

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I find it interesting how much this EU switch changes about characters like Darth Plagueis or Bane. Pretty much anything about them is now up for grabs.

For the record, I enjoyed the Darth Plagueis novel. But even though I liked it I viewed it as alternate continuity because it didn't make any sense to me that Plagueis would survive into the TPM era.

I also think it is better if Palpatine's background remains mysterious. That way every fan can imagine him/herself how he became a great Sith Lord. It's not always good to explain everything. That he was just a spoiled brat in the novel took away a lot of his glamor.

So all around I think it is good that the novel became apocrypha like the rest of the EU.

Maybe Palpatine is older than we thought. The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise sounded like it happened a very long time ago.

13. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I hope one of the future 'creative resources' used is KotOR, especially for future spin-offs. Would be a waste since they were so well done and most importantly, self contained.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

what would be cool is if there are imperials somewhere have a chiss officer cameo.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Speaking personally, not as a mod:

Can we just drop use of the word "canon?" The Expanded Universe is not, was not, and never will be some sort of holy writ. All the way back to my days as a founding member of the EUDF (any of you oldbies remember that?) all the fighting over the published works had at its foundation factions of fans fighting over whether or not it was sacred.

How about instead of "canon," how about a different "c-word," namely continuity.

I definitely won't mourn the Vong (except how they were integral to the Legacy comics), das Ubersmurf, the Galaxy-Spanning Threat of the Week TM, Luuke, the Super-Duper Weapon of the Week TM, the Wonder Twins and Atom Anakin, Lumiya's clone [face_mischief], and loads of other stuff being excised from continuity.

I will most definitely miss any continuation of the adventures of Cade Skywalker, Dass Jennir, the One Sith, the Freakin' Sweet Hat, watching Darth Vader tear the *** outta all those surviving Jedi hinted at from the end of RotS, the Dark Lords of the Sith between Bane and Sidious, and all things Darth Plagueis.

I'm looking forward to reading about the foundation of the Rebellion, Tarkin's backstory, and seeing Vader and Sidious resist the urge to murderize each other.

But sacred? Holy? None of it.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

YES!!! A thousand times YES!!

leiamoody and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm making a drive-by here just to say that I am totally co opting the term "das Ubersmurf."

And still choosing my favorite among DarthBreezy 's nicknames for That Woman. Leaning towards "the Red Scourge."

FWIW, the day this announcement was made, I bought the second book in the X-Wing series. I don't care if it's "real" or not, it's still a fun read.

Three of four of the new books look awesome. I was initially concerned that Disney would focus so much on movies and spinoffs that there would be no new books or comics, or only those directed at small kids. Ezra's Pop-Up Book of Cool Rocks from Lothal or something. We are getting adult books, by some of the same authors that did great old-EU stories--Luceno and JJM anyone?

I really liked the Vong but I'm not bent out of shape that they won't be referenced in the ST or future books. Just give us a cool villain and I'm good.

18. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Agreed. The Darth Sidious seen in The Phantom Menace seems very much in control, and I don't see him being subservient to anybody. Yet the Plagueis novel tells us he is there with Palpatine pulling the strings when he's making transmissions to the Nemoidians.

19. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

A thousand "yeses."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    "Are Wampas called Wampas anymore?"

BigAl6ft6 and Ryus like this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm most sad for Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, the Darth Bane trilogy and Shadows of the Empire. Still, exceptional stories.

Gallandro and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Prince Cheesesword will be missed.

I love SOTE, but Xizor was a terrible name.

KED12345 likes this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I’ve been thinking. Its quite possible that Lords of the Sith could be (sort of) taking the place of Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. And I really do think that Xizor (don’t forget, the Black Sun appeared in TCW, so it’s a part of official continuity) and Thrawn will appear somewhere in the new EU.

And yeah, I think Xizor’s a crap name, too.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I always assumed that Palpatine killed Plagueis a little under a decade before TPM. To account for the fact that they might have created Anakin or not.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Agreed.I have over a hundred Star Wars novels sitting on my bookshelf. For me, like a lot of other people, the Expanded Universe was my primary avenue into the Star Wars universe in between Ep. VI and Ep. I. Now I find out that all that time and emotional investment didn't mean anything. I'm not usually one to say this, but In this case I'm saying it. Thanks, Di$ney. You raped my childhood.

Fastback likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.