Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ichthyocentaur Jedi Master

star 1

I wouldn't put too much stock in the permanence of that. They're saying that to keep subscribers hooked. You can bet your bottom credit that if JJ and Kasdan want a shaggy God story in the ST that obliterates the ancient EU, they'll get their wish. The writers forging the future of your multibillion dollar media franchise get priority over a moderately successful MMO's dev team.
    kubricklynch and TKT like this.
  2. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    I figured that:

"As far as The Old Republic MMO is concerned, nothing is going to change. TOR has always been a part of the Expanded Universe, and that's not going to change."

meant "That's not going to change - the Expanded Universe has simply been renamed "Legends - and includes TOR".
    bstnsx704 and TKT like this.
  3. Gallandro Chosen One

star 4
    Maybe Obi-Wan had simply been lying to Luke so long that even he began to believe the lies. Or maybe Obi-Wan's brain had fried in the Tatooine suns a little too long and he had gone a little dotty. ;)

Yancy
  4. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9

It's not that difficult really. As noted, the Sith took over but the Republic wasn't completely gone. Seventeen words.
    Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  5. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    I think @Mystery Roach 's explanation is a good one. Why assume the two statements are meant to be referencing the exact same historical allusion? One is about the Republic, the other about the Jedi.
    Mystery Roach and purplerain like this.
  6. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6

If the ST novels were written by James Luceno, RA Salvatore and Mathew Stover, I think we'd all be pretty happy with that.
    Zer0 likes this.
  7. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
  8. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    So Bail and company created the Rebellion in ROTS? Right?
    Last edited by Force Smuggler, Apr 30, 2014
  9. Ganger Chosen One

star 4
    mes520 and Claire1976 like this.
  10. Jair Crawford Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    If the novels are still Canon, I don't understand why the lead-in novels (Darth Plagueis, Cloak Of Deception, etc.) are now Legends, as they were written to fit within the movies and don't contradict them at all.

This whole Legends thing is getting more confusing by the day. lol
    Last edited by Jair Crawford, Apr 30, 2014
  11. Ganger Chosen One

star 4
    It's real easy. What was EU is no longer part of the official continuity and is now called Legends. Anyone concerned with the movie making aspect of this franchise can do projects without even peeking through a Star Wars novel at an airport.
    Last edited by Jedi Merkurian, May 1, 2014
  12. Granek Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    exactly what about all the novels written during the CW are those thrown out as well? I'm betting someone is going to have to truly define what is and what isn't. Particularly the novels mentioned above and how well they fit in
    Jair Crawford likes this.
  13. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yep.

What part of "Minus contradictions to the films" is unclear?

All original print novels, comics and video games are out. The novelizations of the films are still in. The lead in and lead out novels like "Cloak Of Deception" and "Shadows Of The Empire" are out.
    Last edited by darth-sinister, Apr 30, 2014
    Jedi Merkurian, Dra--- and purplerain like this.
  14. Granek Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Ayn Rand was right....
  15. Jair Crawford Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    That's unfortunate. So far, I've read a few of the lead-in novels to TPM and I thought they fit the story perfectly. I don't see why they would put them in the legends category unless they wanted to revisit that era with new novels, which they're showing no signs of interest in doing.

Not to mention I don't see how they would affect the plot of the ST.

I suppose they might want to cover the era with new spinoffs? I dunno...
    Last edited by Jair Crawford, Apr 30, 2014
  16. Darth 1138 Jedi Padawan

I think the main point is that there has been no official list yet. The big announcement was made less than a week ago and they are still working the kinks in the plan. We are getting information piecemeal. For example the prequel novelisations are good, refined and well-written fiction. The OT novelisations, on the other hand, are weird, not that bad but at odds not just with the old EU but with some of the movies (from memory), while the aforementioned Darth Plagueis, Cloak etc. are more consistent with films than those.

And it's not been definitively said that all the old EU is dead. Just that some of it is, and stuff is getting rebranded.

So it's a matter of time, and we need to keep waiting.
    Last edited by Darth 1138, Apr 30, 2014
  17. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
  18. Granek Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    its been very ambiguous to say the least, but they should have known:

A - the back lash on their decision about the EU
    B - wait until they actually knew what wasn't canon and what was

when Jennifer Heddle isn't even sure if Bane/ Plagues are Legends or Cannon that's pretty telling
  19. purplerain Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't see any ambiguity. Heddle tweeted that Bane and Plagueis the characters are canon because GL created them but the novels about them are legends.
    bstnsx704, Artoo-Dion, Dra--- and 2 others like this.
  20. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'll say this much, right now, LFL is not going to recognize those stories. If they do at a later point, then they will. For your own pleasure, you can still include all of the lead in and lead out novels. For me, I can sit down and do a marathon of the Saga and do without TCW. Not that I don't like the series, but it would take too long to go through and I'd rather have the shorter run with the 03-05 CW series. 21 chapters dedicated to part of the conflict and then the rest leading into ROTS. Add in the cartoon short from "The Holiday Special" and there you go. Simple and to the point.
    Darth Raiden and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Beezer Force Ghost

star 4
    So they're giving us the same tired old silliness: "Everything you read here is canon - except the parts which aren't."

What they wrote in their tweet is incredibly vague. They say "movie novelizations are canon where they align with what is seen on screen." What that tells me is that scenes in the books that don't show up on screen are not canon. So in essence the books don't add a single thing to what is canon.
    Last edited by Beezer, Apr 30, 2014
  22. Granek Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I was going to write something similar; very convoluted
    kubricklynch likes this.
  23. Dra--- Chosen One

star 5
    I don't think it's confusing. The only thing in the movie novels which aren't canon are those details that contradict the films. Simple.
  24. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Owen being Obi-Wan's brother, Yoda is blue etc.
    Jedi Merkurian and Dra--- like this.
  25. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    They should just re-write the OT novelizations.
    ChrisLyne and Dra--- like this.