Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. purplerain Force Ghost

star 4
    Why wouldn't there be updated novelizations?
  2. stellarmagic01 Force Ghost

star 4
    How long have parts of Heir to the Empire been contradicted let alone... *gasp* the ANH novelization? It's just not worth doing.
    Last edited by stellarmagic01, Apr 30, 2014
    rdhight likes this.
  3. purplerain Force Ghost

star 4
    Except word of god is that no matter how self-contained, it's non-canon if it's in the wrong book. If the events of those three novels happened within a novelization, they would be canon.
    Last edited by purplerain, Apr 30, 2014
    kubricklynch likes this.
  4. Artoo-Dion Force Ghost

star 4
    Because unless there's some massive theatrical re-releases, nobody but hardcore fans will pick up new books that retell the stories of films that are upwards of 30 years old.
    Immortiss likes this.
  5. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    I'm not saying I think it will happen, just that I wish it would. Still, they're pretty much perennial sellers, and with renewed interest in SW for the ST, I could see more people wanting to pick them up when looking through the SW section of a bookstore. That would be the only real push for updated novelizations of the OT though... I'm not sure you could really advertise them and sell them on their own strengths in any real large quantities upon their release.
    Artoo-Dion likes this.
  6. Beezer Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Are you kidding? They re-released Heir to the Empire and people still bought it. Let me say that again for emphasis: They released a book identical to a book that already existed and suckers - uh I mean people (like me) - still bought it. :D
    Last edited by Beezer, Apr 30, 2014
    Granek likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    As much crabbing goes on about the differences in the novelizations, the novelizations are pretty bang-on for about 80% of 'em anyway, what's the point of adding new ones? "The Dewback roared in the background as the stormtrooper said 'Look, sir! Droids!'" "Vader yelled 'Nooooooooo' as he threw Darth Sidious into the abyss."
    TKT and Artoo-Dion like this.
  8. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Well it had annotations from Zahn and a new short story so not completely identical.
  9. Artoo-Dion Force Ghost

star 4
    Ha! Fair point, though re-releasing an existing book with a few bits added means you don't need to sell a boatload of copies to justify the expense. Rewriting an existing book is a bit harder to justify. Now, tweaking the existing text to smooth-out continuity glitches is a different matter.
    Mystery Roach likes this.
  10. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    Yeah I'd be fine with that even. My ultimate dream would be for them to release all new versions of all six novelizations to tell a single story over all of them as if they were a proper book series of their own (to be continued/concluded with the ST of course), but I'm not holding my breath.
  11. Beezer Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    That statement is true for the prequels but the classic trilogy novelizations are extremely different from the movies. They really are a fascinating read.
    Mystery Roach likes this.
  12. markdeez Force Ghost

star 3
    Will they continue to press up the books as part of the "Legends" banner, and if so, will the authors still receive royalties? It just seems like a terrible waste of paper to print them all up again, I don't think many readers that haven't already discovered them will want to discover them now.
  13. Artoo-Dion Force Ghost

star 4
    They're planning on reprinting Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy with a new cover, a foreword by Pablo, and a "Legends" banner across the top, for example. But my guess is that only select titles will be reprinted with the "Legends" banner--everything else in the EU will fade into obscurity.
  14. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4

New trilogy will bring new interest. Kinda like how they can slap new covers on LoTR and The Hobbit and sell a bajillion more copies even though they have been out for near 100 years.
    Last edited by TheBBP, May 1, 2014
    markdeez likes this.
  15. markdeez Force Ghost

star 3
    True, let's just hope there's some sort of disclaimer on the book stating that it's an alternate reality and not canon, I don't think a casual fan will be able to differentiate between the normal canon and what the "Legends" banner is, even with a LEGENDS logo across the front.
  16. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
  17. bstnsx704 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Most casual fans (and plenty of hardcore fans) won't be buying any of the books in the first place.This is just me assuming here, but if canon and the Legends banner mean anything to you, you're probably a person the frequents the internet and keeps up with that kind of information.

Anyways, I don't understand why people are getting confused about what Disney considers to be in continuity and what they say is not. Starwars.com and that recent tweet literally spelled it out.

The six films
    The Clone Wars (including the film and presumably that Darth Maul comic coming out this year, since it's essentially an episode in comic book form)
    Rebels
    The movie novelizations (except where they don't line up with the movies)
    The upcoming books A New Dawn, Tarkin, Heir to the Jedi, Lords of the Sith, and any other future novels
    Last edited by bstnsx704, May 1, 2014
  18. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    And they're about to get even newer updates by some very good kid book authors.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/book...-on-original-trilogy-in-new-kids-book-series/
    Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    And at the time the movies came out, there were "Illustated Storybook" versions of the movies - which included scenes that weren't in the movies but were in the novels. Like Luke hanging from the grating in the rancor's lair, in RoTJ.

EDIT: and by the immortal gods of the Sith, one mustn't forget the Marvel Comics versions of the movies!
    Last edited by Iron_lord, May 1, 2014
    Ryus likes this.
  20. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6

Agreed. That's what I said the other day. There are going to be people for whom Ep. VII is their first Star Wars experience and they're not going understand that there's a difference between Legends and the EU and its going to be really confusing.
  21. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Simple solution, slap a sticker on the new stuff that comes out around VII release that teases tie in (like curious what Luke did before VII) and pay to have those books displayed all over the book stores (which is actually a way book stores make money).

They can further help by having the publisher reduce Legendary titles and increase the volume of new canon books like Tarkin which should be out in paper back by then. Plus I'm sure Marvel will have trades out by then of their new Star Wars comics and be advertising the heck out of the single issues on their apps too.

Legendary titles will exsist but I can see them being artifically dropped lower in search results online and with reduced copies in stores.
    Last edited by Ryus, May 1, 2014
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. The Hellhammer 7SA Forum Interrogator

Game Host
    star 5
    There's nothing to "understand". It's got a big Legends banner and if anyone cares enough to argue with themselves or anyone else what part of a fictional universe is more real than another, then I'm sure that's the sort of person who will hop onto Google and find out all the answers to those questions.
    Jedi Merkurian and Ryus like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    ...and discover the wonders of the EU embodied in Jaxxon. [face_dancing]
  24. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Marvel can take him back... then toss him with the Guardians of the Galaxy so him and Rocket [Raccoon] can have an ongoing joke of how both don't like to be called rodents. :p

Maybe even drive Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) nuts while they keep trying to blast her pet cat Chewie aboard her starship Harrison (all the Star Wars easter eggs and jokes in her comics are pure gold fyi). [face_laugh]
    Last edited by Ryus, May 1, 2014
  25. Pfluegermeister Force Ghost

star 4
    It's not that people are confused: it's that they've chosen to dig their heels in and resist the irresistible and the obvious. They all have their pet book, their pet character, and rather than accept that all is impermanent, they've decided to go looking around for loopholes. Anything to save Thrawn, or Talon Karrde, or Waru, or Sora Bulq, that they can try to do, they'll do. They'd save themselves a hell of a lot of time and headaches by just ACCEPTING WHAT IS.

And what about Pfluegermeister? I'm not without my own favorite EU book or character. Hell, as I've said before, I'd have defended the Darth Plagueis novel to the death - IF I thought it could help. It won't, so I won't try. I'll wait to see if Disney/LFL can show me something BETTER. In other words, no matter HOW much I loved that book, and I truly did, I ACCEPTED WHAT IS. It's not canon anymore; it's just a legend. The difference is that I can live with that; a lot of other people seem not to be able to.

For a bunch of people who claim to like a franchise, they sure don't pay attention to what it's trying to tell them about life...