main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    This was just a continuity error. Happens in movies all the time. I'm sure George would have liked to have remembered the line correctly in which case Palpatine would've said "generations". From an in universe POV, I'm inclined to think that Palpatine just made a simple human error & slip of the tongue. Not a big deal. I'm sure GL would have a laugh that a minor continuity error has sent so many fans into a debate.

2. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Well, Bane actually gets a BIG mention in TCW Season 6 (THE LOST MISSIONS) when Yoda is learning how to eventually become a force ghost when he dies, and goes to Moraban (Korriban; thanks George!) he sees Bane\s tomb, and an illusion of the man himself, they speak about the rule of two and why Bane was inportant. So he still did what he did to stop the Sith from murdering each other and he still looks like he did...and that's in the new continuity since TCW stuff counts. So while the novels are out, his story is still very much present. Which is cool, as I always liked it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Him looking like he did - doesn't actually contradict the novels. He lost the Orbalisk Armor about 10 years before he actually died.

That said - the nature of Bane's story may change.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, a generation is 25 years so a thousand generations would be approximately 25,000 years., also the age of the Republic is mentioned in precise terms the Ep. III novel. As the films and Clone Wars are now the only things that are canon, I would assume that the tie-in novels are as well. As for Palpatine's statement in Ep. II, he was always assumed to be referring to the Ruusan Reformation or possibly to the Republic's brief Dark Age.

5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I have to say that I would be happy if the Karpyshan novels are thrown out. They completely mischaracterized Bane and misunderstood the logic behind the Rule of Two.
    I've always seen it this way as well. He said "stood", not "existed" or "formed". France has "stood" since the end of WWII, but it's existed for much longer.

Ryus and Mystery Roach like this.
  6. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

So the fact is you have an opinion that has no basis in fact?

7. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    The starwars comic series that will be ending this year is not canon, but the 4 issue story arc that will tell the un-produced darth maul story from clonewars season 6 is. Do I have that right?

TheBBP likes this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
  9. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

I believe so.

10. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    Mr. Bean! I love that guy.

11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Ahem, that's Blackadder thanks ;)

DarthBreezy and Artoo-Dion like this.
  12. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    He'll always be Mr. Bean to me, just like Ford will always be Han solo, Dr Richard Kimble & Indiana Jones are secondary;) .

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Just wanted to stop by and say that I love the idea of Star Wars Legends.
    First of all, that label sounds lovely.
    Second, now all stories that fall into that category are equally valid as legends of the GFFA. None of them are confirmed "true" and that makes them all enjoyable on the same mythical level.
    Third, there'll be no question regarding the canonicity of future material. It's all going to be 100% "true" (unless it's released with a Legends label on it), which makes things a lot simpler.
    Fourth, we can now expect ANYTHING from the new movies! :D

I love Star Wars [face_love]

14. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012

but if you just read two novels how can you tell that 'the stories were all over the place'

15. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I'm happy to say goodbye to the TORtanic. Hopefully in the future the Bendu symbol won't be misused.

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I don't think he looked like he did in the EU. His armour was different to how his special armour was depicted in the EU. I thought the CW series made him look a lot more "beastly" if anything.

17. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    From http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/04/lucasfilm-confirms-all-future-star-wars.html:

Long live The Old Republic era!

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Games technically have always been canon.

19. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    From the new cast info Domhnall gleeson could be Luke's son and Daisy Ridley could be han/leia daughter. Curious that there seems to be no actress to play Luke's wife.

20. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    If they are going to mine from the EU, then maybe Mara dies, leaving Luke and his son? It explains the Red hair. Daisy Ridley's character is no doubt their daughter,

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No doubt. That's why they seated her between Han and Leia for the read-through of the script in order to throw us off.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    If we go by that logic (Daisy sitting between Harrison and Carrie suggesting she's their daugther in the film), wouldn't Domhnall be sitting next to Mark?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The fact that you have to explain it in such painstaking fashion proves you are not employing the simplest explanation.

What's easier? That convoluted, 200-word explanation you gave above or this one: Obi-Wan wasn't meant to be taken literally. 200 words versus 7 words? I think the 7 words are simpler.

If you believe it was a continuity error - and you may certainly be right - then that only supports the point that Lucas didn't have some sort of elaborate backstory of the Old Republic floating around inside his head.

kubricklynch likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, which is equally as illogical as any other assumption we make based on that cast list at this point.

25. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012

so wouldn't this make Jedi Academy cannon and thus Jaden Korr and Kyle Katarn's characters cannon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.