Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    i'm going to be very said that Episode 9 will be the final tale of the Skywalker Saga but i'm also looking forward to seeing what new characters and stories can be told.
    Krueger likes this.
  2. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    also how cool would it be for if their is a jedi high council scene for either Obi-Wan, Yoda or Anakin to appear and be the ones to tell the Luke and the council of the new threat that was forthcoming thereby solidifying that the New Jedi Order is still in it's infancy and still has a long way to go.
  3. Jair Crawford Jedi Master

star 1
    I actually would love to see something like this.
    mattman8907 likes this.
  4. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    also i wouldn't mind seeing an anakin-luke scene again where Anakin is like "you have grown to be a great jedi and i am proud of you for it."
  5. Lord_Anzeroth Force Ghost

star 4
    Let's keep Hayden out of this. He wrecked one trilogy, let's prevent wrecking another :p
    T-R- and KevinM1 like this.
  6. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    How about, instead of another trilogy in the past or the future, there are one off event films for both? A single 3 hour epic called Star Wars Prologue to tell the story of the Sith/Jedi war and the foundation of the Republic, then another called Star Wars Epilogue set a thousand years after the Skywalker Saga, a time period where perhaps the Jedi are simply seen and myths and legends.
  7. ChildOfWinds Chosen One

star 5
    mattman8907 :
    I think we know that the Jedi Order is "in its infancy". I don't think we need to have a Jedi ghost tell us that, do we? I actually would prefer it if Luke had a vision about this new threat rather than having dead Jedi tell him about it.
    T-R- likes this.
  8. King_of_Red_Lions Force Ghost

star 3

I hope we get new and interesting stories. But, I've got a bad feeling that the the opening crawl for Episode VII will go something like this:

It has been thirty years since the death of the Emperor.
    Luke Skywalker has ushered in an era of peace unlike any in the history of the galaxy...

War has vanished from the Republic.
    Aliens throughout the galaxy have learned to live together in peace.

Seriously, nothing has happened in thirty years.
    The last relevant thing was the celebration on Endor. Until now.
    Nothing else of interest happened.
    InterestingLurker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    If they actually put that precise phrasing on the screen, Episode VII would more than likely be elevated to my favorite episode of the saga before the camera ever even pans toward stars.
  10. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    This is the official synopsis for Heir to the Jedi:

What do we all think? Who is this new alley and "asset", who's a female?
    Last edited by Krueger, May 11, 2014
    T-R- likes this.
  11. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    im thinking maybe mara jade
    Ryus, Abadacus and T-R- like this.
  12. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    I'm hoping that the "asset" is the princess of Ondos. With red hair.
  13. Darth_Zidious Force Ghost

star 4
    I get the humor, but how much happens between EP III and IV? R2-D2 and C-3PO are even on the same type of ship!

I do expect the 30 years before EP VII to be largely filled with peace and tranquility. But some new evil or mystery has arisen...
    Artoo-Dion and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    I'm curious if they will be publishing any books set in the 30 year gap between RotJ and VII. I'd love to read a new take on what happened right after Endor or how Coruscant changed hands.
    Krueger, darklordoftech and T-R- like this.
  15. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    I'm sure we'll get it, but it will probably be after VII is released
    Krueger likes this.
  16. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4

[face_praying] LFL, Come on old buddy don't let me down. [face_nail_biting]

And named Mara with some badass training who Luke stears towards the light. ;)

I can handle a new origin story... I guess. Zahn kinda made Jades a bit too 'not to my liking' with his origin books for her. I love her origin idea in TTT (always though more one among many) but her books set in her past had her defeating Vader... [face_talk_hand] I love her strong but there's no way at her training level she could let alone only Luke and Leia are stronger (emperor too)
    Last edited by Ryus, May 11, 2014
    Jedi Merkurian and T-R- like this.
  17. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    Wasn't so much "defeat" as "got out of his way, giving him a chance to calm down".

Still, Mara's capabilities in material set pre-TTT never really made sense in the context of the TTT statement that she'd only picked up a lightsaber "a handful of times".
    Ryus, Adi_Gallia_9 and T-R- like this.
  18. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, stuff like this is one of the reasons I don't mind the EU going. There just got to be so many contradictions over the years, even in books written by the same author! I love the idea of LFL taking some of the great EU characters/settings/planets/species etc. and then putting them into a more cohesive canon.
  19. CairnsTony Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I loved the EU for a while; read many of the books, but got increasingly jaded with the whole thing as authors appeared to be groping around for new ideas. Who's the villain this week? Oh one of the Solo twins... OK maybe I'll stop reading them at this point.

Despite having several book shelves filled with novels and Dark Horse miniseries I'm quite happy for the movies to wipe the slate clean. Looking forward to it in fact.
    Last edited by CairnsTony, May 12, 2014
  20. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    Yep, that's exactly my take on it too! And even if it's no longer canon, there's nothing to stop me from re-reading the stuff I really did like (X-Wing series!)
    Last edited by Adi_Gallia_9, May 12, 2014
    darklordoftech, T-R- and CairnsTony like this.
  21. Claire1976 Force Ghost

star 4
    The only post ROTJ EU I'm sorry to see thrown out of canon are Shadows of Mindor and Tatooine Ghost. Not bothered about the rest to be honest.
    DarthBreezy and T-R- like this.
  22. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    When I read the longer Heir to the Jedi synopsis, I must admit, the first character that popped into my head was Mara Jade. If it isn’t her, I think it’s just a matter of time before Jade and Thrawn make their appearance in the new EU.

A lot of people are speculating in the Lit forum that it might even be Ashoka, although I’m not sure whether they mean his friend or this so-called asset.
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    Ahsoka is a solid guess too. She has to show up again at some point, I'd imagine.
  24. T-R- Chosen One

star 4
    Wouldn't Ashoka tell him about his dad and the darkside?
    ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  25. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6

Considering the much Lauded* 'Story Team' is involved, and Ahsoka is Dave's beloved character, I'd think that's a good guess - I don't know if she knew who Vader ultimately was, so it's up in the air...

*That depends on how people want to pick and choose exactly how much 'influence' the story team has going forward, If they can (redacted with apologies - I'm in a mood unrelated to our boards) mine from the existing EU, surely they can use TCW too...
    Last edited by DarthBreezy, May 12, 2014
    T-R- likes this.