Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Good idea! Done!
    dyous87, darklordoftech, EHT and 3 others like this.
  2. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Is it sad that as a big EU fan I didnt even notice the name change until I read this post? Or a good sign that Ive adapted to its status change, learning to let go and all? :confused:
    Last edited by Ryus, May 28, 2014
  3. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn The Other Saga Moderator

Manager
    star 6
    So. In the new set pictures, there is a gate very much like one that appears in some McQuarrie paintings. People are assuming those paintings are from ROTJ preproduction, but as far as I can tell, they come directly from a book of illustrated short stories from the 1990s called The Illustrated Star Wars Universe, written by Kevin J. Anderson. Many of the images in the book are concept art from the OT, but there were also paintings done specifically for the book, too. However, they aren't labeled, so it's difficult to tell which ones are concepts and which are 'new' illustrations. There are some pictures that fill out the worlds but don't correspond to anything that seems to have ever been planned for the films - like a painting of Tusken Raiders loitering outside Jabba's Palace, one of the images that the gate appears in. There is another painting with it, which is also hard to determine the age/intention of. The point is, and actually regardless of whether those paintings were concept art, the gate design may have been pulled from an EU/Legends source (the Anderson book), though even the filmmakers may not realize it.

Of course, very similar designs were used in TCW movie. I don't know if this says anything at all about how elements (visual or otherwise) will be cherry-picked from previous sources (like the Legends sourcebooks and stuff), but... it might.
    Last edited by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, Jun 2, 2014
    JeeediMoriah, BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Well design wise, for sets and such, the EU has a lot of art in the Lucas library... so eventually one film director will like the looks of it and adapt it. After all why hire someone to make all new concept art when you have tens of thousands already in storage ready to go today?

Plus we do know Rebels is borrowing from the EU so some stuff from their might trickle upwards (again, look and set design wise).
    Last edited by Ryus, Jun 2, 2014
  5. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ryus likes this.
  6. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Now to renew my Star Wars insider subscription and to track down issues #149 and #159... thanks for the find.

Just looked them up on wookieepedia... a b-wing squadron at Endor... hmm. Wonder if they'll be tieing into any thing upcoming movie or tv show wise... rebels seems unlikely, VII info being released this way seems too improbible, spinoff seems too quick since the writer was just announced. Interesting choice though.

Hope its not just to drive up Star Wars Insider sales... because atm theyre the only ones publishing canon stories.
    Last edited by Ryus, Jun 2, 2014
    dyous87 likes this.
  7. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
    You're Welcome. We start getting Young Adult Rebels books in July, they can be pre ordered on Amazon, and they l;ead into A New Dawn.
    Ryus likes this.
  8. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    I already knew about those, but thanks for the info. Be keeping my eyes out for them ;)
  9. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Deleted or not shot scenes from ROTJ
  10. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    I read that part... was just curious if there was anything more to it than that. Nothing more... ;)
  11. newdawn12 Force Ghost

star 4
  12. JediGirl_Angelina Force Ghost

star 3
  13. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Funny enough, I loved it...
  14. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmmm... new Mara Jada product. Interesting... only a card but still (she's gotten quite a few cards from this company of late), thought most EU product had a halt order... Dash Rendar too... just spotted Ysanne Isard in there too and her division Internal Security Bureau is confirmed canon in the upcoming rebels series just like sienar fleet systems...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4869

I'm likely reading too much into this and its just product that was already in the pipe line, but still its odd so much EU content was coming out about some long dead EU characters... just woke up and felt like sharing my shock, lol.
    Last edited by Ryus, Jun 14, 2014
    dyous87 likes this.
  15. Jedi Older Code Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Hi! This is my first post. (Long time lurker)

I really believe this rumor is true about the "Jedi Hunters" (who are most likely are inquisitors) and the plot. Now I'm somewhat familiar with the EU(Legends) but I had to look up the EU inquisitors. Seems there were two types.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inquisitorius#Known_Inquisitors

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Inquisitor

While I was reading up on them I ran across this: "The Inquisitors were also responsible for awakening Arden Lyn(a human woman) after a twenty-five millennia long sleep. " I thought wow twenty-five millennia thats "Ancient". After reading up on her and knowing another rumor is that the "Big Bad" of EP7 is going to be a woman and also that the rumored title for EP7 is "The Ancient Evil". Could be her as the ancient evil or a variation.

All of this make me think these rumors are mostly true. It's interesting and works within the background of the OT without messing with it.

And I'm calling it now.
    Max von Sydow is the Inquisitor from Rebels.
  16. cronedoggy Jedi Master

star 1
    I hope sydow isn't the rebels inquisitor. I don't want it to be impossible that the heroes take him out during the course of rebels.
    dyous87 likes this.
  17. D'an Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Max: There is a bigger threat to the galaxy.
    Adam: What is it?
    Max: For centuries they were held in check by the Jedi; then brutally oppressed by the Empire. Now that they have swelled to unmanageable numbers and are free to roam the galaxy, they will go wherever their blood lust takes them. Once they have reached the resources of the core worlds, there will be nothing to prevent them from spreading and flourishing like a plague, consuming everything in their path. We will battle not for territory or power, but for our very lives. And once our sworn enemy has overpopulated and exhausted the galaxy's resources, their existence will fade as well. Like a flame with nothing left to burn.
    Adam: How do we stop them?
    Max: Stop them? It's already too late. It is the will of the force; a galactic cleansing necessary to start life anew.
    Adam: It'll be the end of our world as we know it.
    Max: Precisely. It will be the fulfillment of the most ancient of prophesies: the final reckoning. The end of days.
  18. poundpuppy29 Force Ghost

star 1
    I just want to say to the EU fans I kinda understand how you feel now Star Wars is just 1 of my scifi franchises 1 of my other franchises is rebooting Stargate and the tv franchise I loved will be wiped out of official canon it's kinda of a long and convoluted story on how this is happening but just wanted to say now I understand your anger and sadness now my fav part of Stargate is now an Alternate Universe but I do have all the dvds so many memories to relieve when ever I want
    Ryus and Abadacus like this.
  19. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, the Stargate reboot looks bad IMHO. The guy who made the movie wants to finish off the trilogy he had planned (but will reboot his first). The movie was OK (more interesting idea), it really was the TV series that made that series as popular as it was however. Fans are still begging for a the shows to return, even the third show Universe (which I enjoyed after a few rough episodes).

As far as I'm concerned though the original movie and show are universe 1 (with 2 recasts but many other returning in cameos) and this new reboot is universe 2.
    Last edited by Ryus, Jun 25, 2014
    poundpuppy29 and Abadacus like this.
  20. Pfluegermeister Chosen One

star 4
    There's only ONE problem I have with the decanonization of the EU, and it is this: I don't know just how intricate this decanonization goes. The declaration that the six films, TCW, and now Rebels will be the only canon for the present (until the new films and books come along) was certainly clear enough, but how about the really little things?

I'll explain what I'm referring to with this example:

[IMG]

Let's take a good look at this fellow here. From the moment he was introduced in 1977, his identifying tag was simply "Second Officer" or "Second Commander," depending on which edition of the script you could get your hands on. That sufficed for twenty years or so. Then, in the 1990s, the Decipher card game gave us a last name and confirmation of his rank: "Commander Praji." Cut to a decade later and he was gifted a first name as well: now he was "Commander Nahdonnis Praji," if you please. And not long after that we were given the complete history of his family from Creation onwards. We've come to know a lot about this man over forty years.

My question is this: does he go right back to being "Second Officer" and that's it? I can certainly understand, say, the entire family history having to be decanonized, even his own personal history outside of the events of ANH being decanonized, but is the decanonization process so extensive that he has no name at all again? Does decanonization extend to the point that ONLY things and people specifically identified on screen have names now? That's the only place where my understanding of all this breaks down, mostly because that part of it hasn't been clarified by anyone at LFL, and I'm not sure I have the right to expect that kind of clarification from them.

So quite possibly, Ponda Baba goes right back to being "Creature," his pal Evazan back to "Human," and everyone else in the cantina back to being, well, whatever the action figure packages said they were called. MAYBE.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Pfluegermeister, Jun 26, 2014
    dyous87, Force Smuggler, Ryus and 2 others like this.
  21. Abadacus Jedi Grand Master

star 2

Well, on the optimist's side, Leland Chee is part of the story group. He's been in charge of the Holocron Continuity Database, so I'm hoping it's his job to "pull forward" all these great details that don't affect Disney's new continuity. I don't think we'll be getting a NU Ponda Baba reference any time soon, but if/when we do, I doubt they'll bother changing his name when they can just ask Leland.
    On the pessimist's side, we don't know how much influence JJ has at this point, and he's never seemed even slightly interested in internal consistency, so I doubt he'll pay attention to details like how many fighters a certain ship carries or how many days it takes to get from one planet to another in hyperspace.
    To the many who don't spare much thought for such things, they won't care if it suddenly takes six hours to get from Coruscant to Tatooine in an old and slow civilian passenger ship - it doesn't matter as long as it's convenient for the storyteller - but for those of us who love immersing in detailed constructed worlds, and have years of Star Wars knowledge, it would be like showing the hero driving a minivan from LA to Yellowstone in one afternoon. It'd just take me right out of the story.

Thirdly, there's the distinct possibility they'll be changing such things... for no apparent reason. See the Korriban - Moriband change in TCW. When it comes to new names for minor planets, species, and characters, there may be some opportunity to change bad names (although the worst, Savage Opress, is new canon. Sigh) or tell new stories, but it mostly just seems pointless and frustrating. I hope they keep this to a minimum.
    dyous87 and Ryus like this.
  22. CairnsTony Force Ghost

star 4
    I suspect a lot of stuff is 'in flux' at the moment. Once the new movie is out, we'll be able to see what it does and does not contradict. That will no doubt help to clarify what, if anything can and cannot be confirmed/re-established as canon beyond just the movies, TCW and Rebels.
    Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Darth_Corvus Force Ghost

star 4

Yeah like the old republic stuff. For the time being nothing is canon, but some stories don't hurt anyone. There are rumors that the next SWTOR expansion will tie in with Ep VII. I also have high hopes for the Plagueis novel but most likely everything after TPM is gone. I wouldn't mind the rest staying.
    dyous87 likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    It's been 34 years, and we still know next to nothing about the Magical Ice Cream Man from ESB.[face_plain]
    DarthBreezy, Pfluegermeister and Ryus like this.
  25. Krueger Chosen One

star 4
    Wasn't he in Jingle All The Way?