Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    I'm just worried that the new stuff won't be as engaging as the old stuff. The stuff we learned about Coruscant, Kessel as a misshapen rock with little or no atmosphere, Ryloth the way it was, the little details like how Han and Chewie met, the in-depth details on alien species etc gave the EU galaxy character.
    ScorpionJedi, Dak Oolron and Abadacus like this.
  2. dyous87 Force Ghost

star 2
    The same concepts that were explored in the EU may very well be incorporated into canon and reshapen to fit better with the overall consistency of the Saga. We really have no idea what Disney's plans are going forward but we do know that the EU is a library of ideas they own and will be sure to use content from.
  3. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    It's hard to say what the quality of the ST before anyone has seen a frame of footage. You have to kind of watch it first before forming an opinion. Lack of bias helps too.
  4. ezekiel22x Chosen One

star 5
    Agreed. Even though I care little about the EU losing its "canon" status, I have to admit that for a while the EU defined Star Wars for me more so than any of the films. And if I had to name the best Star Wars writing I've ever encountered, it would come from one of the novels rather than one of the film scripts.
  5. themetresgained Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    So is it just me or does this thread just keep coming back to the same lamentations every few pages?
  6. Dak Oolron Jedi Master

star 2
    True. What has been a seam for a long time could turn into an actual split, or a reunification, depending on how the ST goes. I also hope that the ST will mend those rifts. :)

:rolleyes: "Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, everyone gets delusions of grandeur!" -Han
    Last edited by Dak Oolron, Jul 14, 2014
    Rabs, Ryus and Abadacus like this.
  7. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    what else can we talk about till we get something indepth about the future?
  8. Rebel_Loyaltist Force Ghost

star 2
    Any luck on finding that article?
  9. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    Was watching Thor: The Dark World and, while I'm not a big NJO / Vong fan, I do see the appeal in Space Orcs in a sci-fi movie setting if twisted around right. I'm not saying I really want to see the Vong used as antagonists in the ST, however, some animated or spin-off using them as a template for a big Space Orc baddie? I could dig that.
  10. I know Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    The NJO template could be Disney's long game plan after this trilogy. A threat from the unknown regions (not necessarily the Vong). They did say that areas/themes from the Legends EU could provide sort of a roadmap.
    Last edited by I know, Aug 24, 2014
  11. Rabs Jedi Grand Master

star 4

I'm a member of the even smaller group that falls in the middle. For the most part I love the changes to the OT with a few exceptions. And I love the PT almost as much. TCW is a little lower on my list as will be Rebels because I'm not big on animation. But they're Star Wars so they draw me in regardless. I find myself catching crap from the fanatics on both ends of Star Wars fandom.

As for the new EU, I'm hoping they don't change too much when it comes to planets and races. Reworking the history to make it more cohesive is cool, but throwing out long established and loved planets, races, and characters seems like not only a big risk but a big mistake as well.

@BigAl6ft6
    I like the Vong. They're a cool concept and a good foe. It's just the direction the NJO series took sucked. The Vong are unfairly, in my opinion, hated because of bad story telling.
    Last edited by Rabs, Aug 24, 2014
  12. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    The EU framework to the galaxy is still gonna be there, which is what the best stuff I thought the EU did anyway, fleshing out the corners and histories of planets and species, etc, (Imperial Center! Sinear Systems! And so forth). Not necessarily the Big Universe Stuff Happening Things that were the stickler points.
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Aug 24, 2014
    kubricklynch likes this.
  13. Krueger Chosen One

star 4
    Its already been mentioned by people within the story group that things like planets, weapons, ships and species etc aren't going to change (except for the whole Korriban thing).
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Miles Lodson Force Ghost

star 3
    anyone pondered whether they could loosely adapt the Thrawn trilogy, but change it to be set 30 years after ROTJ instead of 5?
  15. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, but when they do "use" anything from the old EU they can/could change it completely. For example they could have a gay Rebel Alliance pilot named Thrawn if they wanted instead of the one we know and love. I hope they don't change too many details for the stuff they decide to reuse but we should be ready for any radical changes just in case.
  16. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5
    [IMG]

And then I'd be like...

[IMG]
    Krueger likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6 Chosen One

star 5
    Gay Rebel Pilot Thrawn would be the greatest goddamned thing Disney ever did. He's Thrawn. But he's a pilot for the Rebels. And gay. Sounds fabulous!
  18. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    And him getting drunk all the time and making up stories of how if he was an Imperial Grand Admiral he'd be way smarter than the stupid Imperials while totally drunk is how the Legend of Grand Admiral Thrawn came to be. His stories where so great they spread throughout the rebel alliance fleet. By chance the bar keep looked a heck like Pellaeon. :p
    Last edited by Ryus, Aug 24, 2014
  19. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    i hate to be predictable but i would love to see Mara Jade and or Thrawn brought into the NU, or ST
  20. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    [IMG]
    Abadacus, Revanfan1 and JediMatteus like this.
  21. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    Later today I'll be getting A New Dawn and I plan to dedicate my sunday to going through the whole thing in one go. I have to say, I'm pretty excited about getting back into the EU game, especially since this time around I'll follow it from the very beginning and will be able to keep up with it, hah.
  22. Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Haven't read a bad review about it yet, enjoy!
    TheBBP and The Hellhammer like this.
  23. The Hellhammer Grand Judicator of the New Film Territories

star 5
    Started A New Dawn today, got halfway through it. A fun read, so far. Kanan is someone I can grow to like quite a bit and Hera is not far behind, also. On a personal note, the whole thing has this nice feel of being fresh, a new start for EU and I quite enjoy being able to savor it. Also, the knowledge that everything I read is full canon and official, without any ambiguity to it, has a certain appeal that was obviously lacking in pevious books.

Good impressions so far, now back to the other half :p
  24. TheBBP Chosen One

star 5

That means a ton to me as well and instantly makes these new novels as "must read" to me.
    The Hellhammer likes this.
  25. stellarmagic01 Force Ghost

star 4
    It will happen, I have foreseen it.

On a side note, it looks like a huge amount of the other bits of the EU framework are still going to be in place. An Imperial Remnant (of a sort), a New Republic (of a sort), and so forth. Some of the latest rumors rolling back the earlier rumors of Luke being held captive for 30 years and replacing them with a Luke that spent 4 ABY to 24 ABY rebuilding the Jedi Order, and so forth.

My hope is that one of the first things they do for the NU is call Zahn in and say. "Okay, here's the end point, here's the start point for the period... Want to do the Thrawn Crisis again?"
    Last edited by stellarmagic01, Sep 13, 2014
    Ryus and Iron_lord like this.