main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Are you saying it could be a Legends material or just that it "fits in the continuity aswell"?

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

TCW is canon.

EHT, Redimet and mratm23 like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still fits into Legends. Just saying.

4. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    LOL, the Holiday Special fits in with Legends too.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Obviously.

6. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Do the movies fit into Legends? What makes TCW fit into Legends?

LOL, you don't even really need to answer. The facts are that the movies, TCW and Rebels are canon, everything else is not. They didn't say that TCW was "kind of" canon or that it was Legends too, it is canon. You trying to refute that is just you looking to argue.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Kind of hard to have everything from the EU TPM onwards without the movies don't you think?
    Legends is everything EU from 1977 to 2014. TCW was EU so it fits in with Legends. The way I understood it was, Movies-> TCW-> rest of the EU. TCW was higher than the EU but not on the level of the movies so it goes in both. Kind of hard to have some of the EU things that came out after TCW started coming out if the TV series isn't part of both.

8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I am just glad that we now have a very direct, explicit and unambiguous statement on what is and what isn't canon. People may like or dislike some decisions, but at least, finally, that sill argument about levels and validity of canon is over and done with.

9. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

Being concerned about what is canon and what might get changed is completely understandable and expected. We've had years of EU and there are many things we fans want to see remain canon. But what I'm talking about is fans arguing about what they think is canon and seeming to get bent out of shape when someone else chooses to have a different canon. Like my choosing to incorporate Grey Jedi into my personal canon for example. They will always exist in my version of the GFFA regardless if they're made official canon or not. This always seems to irritate some fans. Like it somehow taints their experience. It's this type of arguing that my post was directed at.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So why not use terms like "head canon" or "personal continuity" instead? The reason people get all butthurt about the "C - Word" is that it by definition applies to everything and everyone. When you refer to what goes on in your own mind as "canon," the implication is that you think what YOU like should be the official continuity for EVERYONE, when...y'know...it totally shouldn't.

Pro Scoundrel , EHT, TheBBP and 2 others like this.
  11. Madsci73915

Madsci73915 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2014
    I agree, heck we even have a Jaxxon (or at least Jaxxon's species) cameo in Clone Wars, which made that cannon. You may not get the exact characters down to the names, but you may get someone recognizably the same. And there is a tradition of taking things directly from the books, like places, races, ships, etc.

12. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

TCW tv show is on the same level as the movies. It is 100% canon. The fact that non-canon material has been produced after, during, under, on top of or in spite of it, does not lessen that in any way. Like I told you before, it is not "kind-of" or "sometimes" canon, it is as officially canon as the two movie trilogies. Rebels will enjoy the same level of status.

Perhaps as you may be interested in "head canon" or "personal continuity" Jedi Merkurian suggested for folks.

EHT and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Conservatives make my blood boil; all that right wing nonsense and....oh, not that C word?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    You can't really say that it's hard to have everything without the movies because the ST is rewriting a whole time period and beyond. Lol

Just cause TCW isn't considered the almighty movie canon, that doesn't make it Legends. Legends is another type of Star Wars story universe. TCW is just slightly less canon than the movies, obviously.

TheBBP likes this.
  15. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

There is no hierarchy there. Movies and TCW are both canon, on equal footing.

Pro Scoundrel , Redimet and TheBBP like this.
  16. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Everything moving forward is now canon.

Krueger and TheBBP like this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008

Officially, yes. Inofficially "are you crazy you can't put movies and comics on the same pedestal you n00b." :p

18. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

I call this being overly sensitive. Maybe it's because it doesn't bother me when someone calls something canon that I don't.

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I’m not being sarcastic, but are the two Ewok films canon or Legends now? Has there ever been any official word on their status?

This. This has been officially declared time and time again. Discussions like what has been going on for the last two pages should have been laid to rest a long time ago.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    mratm23 TCW and the movies (1-6) are both in Legends in and the new canon. And by movies I was referring to TPM through ROTJ. The EU timeline. Obviously 1-9 is a different timeline. So TCW, and the first six movies are interchangeable in Legends and Canon. Kind of hard to have the Legends timeline without TPM-ROTJ isn't it?

I'm not arguing what is canon going forward. All I'm saying is that TCW and the movies are both Legends and canon.
    I'm talking about from BEFORE the change. It was Movies->TCW->Rest of the EU. TCW was a higher form of EU but not on the level of the movies. With that understanding its in both continuities. Unless someone higher up has a different interpretation and has stated it.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  21. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I believe your understanding of the relationship between canon/legends is inconsistant with that of the Story Group.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Why can't TCW be used interchangeably between Canon and Legends?

EternalHero likes this.
  23. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    because it isn't fanfic.

Redimet and TheBBP like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Everything could still work with "Legends" given that the EU's way of thinking was to fit almost everything Star Wars related together. In more practical terms the issue is simply that "Legends" means old material that is not going to be continued. But for personal canons I'm sure a lot of the Disney material can still coexist with the old stuff.

black_saber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.