main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    too early to tell, need to let the film get released so they can truly give us the meat and potatoes of post RoTJ---TFA

2. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Lets come back to dis in 35 years.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Absolutely fair trade. The EU had long jumped the shark.

Artoo-Dion and Strongbow like this.
  4. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    Good god... hmm what's more important some books/comics that a small minority of people enjoyed or cared about, worked on by lets face it not the greatest creators in the world or a mega big proper world wide movie kicking off the continuation of the franchise with more movies to come, with also spin-off movies and plenty of new books/comics/games that this time are all on the same page as it being done properly with everything in canon..

Hmm which was the better option, decisions decisions, .. its a toughie :p

Artoo-Dion and darklordoftech like this.
  5. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    One has Rian Johnson directing a film. The other doesn't.

As a lover of cinema, I think I know which one I want. ;)

6. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    I'm a mixed bag on the issue. I liked a lot of EU stories, but even before Disney came along and wiped them out I never really considered them canon. There are two sides to that coin, however, since I don't consider any of Disney's 'New EU' material to be canon either. To me, anything that isn't one of the six films (or the new upcoming films) is simply "what if" material. That goes for Books, Comics, Video Games, or TV shows that I loved, Liked, Didn't care about, or Hated. Everything beyond the films is on the same level of canon to me, so I guess that's why I'm not TOO upset we wont be seeing any Jacen or Jaina (Even though I liked most of their stories). For instance, I loved KOTOR I & II, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that Revan never existed as far as the movies are concerned, and will never be incorporated in any of the future films.

Sithblade11 and JediLight like this.
  7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It hasn't replaced the EU for me. While I stopped following the books several years before the Disney announcement, the EU will always be tied to my personal fandom given that it's really what sparked my interest in Star Wars back when I was a kid. Given that I spent so many years invested in the continuity beginning with Thrawn, TFA is kind of the thing that feels like "Legends."

8. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    The thing is, because major galactic events had to be pushed 30 years away from the battle of Endor, the producers now have to come up with "excuses" for why certain things didn't happen as they were supposed to, such as Luke Skywalker rebuilding the Jedi Order. Doesn't an already existing NJO at this time, make more sense? Rather than say something for example like, The Force had to "awaken" so that there could be more force sensitive people, so it could be rebuilt. Because the force had been "sleeping" for the last 30 years? :rolleyes:

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Fair trade IMO, but miss the old EU.... :(

10. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    It's all fiction so none of it is true.

For me any material prior ROTJ I had basically accepted as canon. I couldn't deal with Luke marrying, Emperor cloning, Sith returning, Chewbacca dying - some of this stuff might come back to haunt me.

Lucas:

"I’ve left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That’s because there isn’t any story. I mean, I never thought of anything! And now there have been novels about the events after Episode IV, which isn’t at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn’t come back to life, the Emperor doesn’t get cloned and Luke doesn’t get married …"

$4 billion dollars later and I'm guessing Lucas couldn't careless if Luke ends up marrying his sister.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Are you sure you didn't mean to post this in 2013? :p

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    All discussion about the original Expanded Universe and the new movies needs to be in this thread.

Thread merge

13. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    I hope the new regime has done away with Lucas idea that Jedi don't have relationships, its stupid. When GL talked about them throwing some of his ideas away I hope Luke carrying on that stupid no sex/love/relationships was one of them.

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Strangely, George was cool with Jedi having one night stands. They just couldn't have romantic relationships.

15. Natalie0192

Natalie0192 Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2015
    Hey guys,

Firstly, I apologise about any possible spoilers, new member here but I've been a lurker for years :p. If i need to move the thread, let me know!

This has been bugging me since I saw the film at the first midnight screening...

Don't you find it interesting that our now new villain, looks a lot like Darth Caedus, a.k.a JACEN, and our certain protagonist and heroine, looks a lot like JAINA?

Like I really marked out when watching the film because I was just wondering if it was intentional or not.

What do you think?

Darth Dnej and morrison85 like this.
  16. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Sun crusher?

Jacen and jaina?

Ben?

I don't know but people will praise this for being "original".

17. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    I was thinking some of the same things while watching the film. When Han shouts "BEN!", I thought "Didnt Disney say this was gonna be an 'original' story?" Well, it is and it isnt. But theres definitely some old EU feel to some of it. I felt like some of the dialogue came from LotF at times. Not a knock on the film whatsoever, but I hear what youre saying, OP.

Darthmaul208 and morrison85 like this.
  18. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Letsee Han & Leia's son turns to the darkside and has to kill someone he loves to cement his immersion in said darkside....no that doesn't sound familiar (pardon my sarcasm lol)

Though I was shouting expletives at Disney under by breath for naming their son Ben.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it doesn't matter if it's similar becaue they don't read the eu or know anything about canon. they just made their own story. thank god.

darklordoftech and Dra--- like this.
  20. SithIsTheRightSide

SithIsTheRightSide Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2001
    Is that really so? [face_thinking]

21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes. kasdan said he doesn't know anything about canon.

Dra--- and dekaneas like this.
  22. Natalie0192

Dec 16, 2015
    I'll be very unimpressed if they now start saying that.

23. Natalie0192

Dec 16, 2015
    Hahaha I'm glad that I wasn't the only one. I kept on trying to explain it to my mother, but she didn't believe me till I showed her pictures of the characters in the EU and names.

When Han screamed, "Ben!", I was so confused, because I suddenly expected him to scream "Jacen".

We don't know how many similarities we will find in the next two films, but if there's loads...
    I'm not knocking on the film either, but if you're going to use stuff from the EU, why not just make the storyline of the films surrounding events of the EU?

24. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I dunno, I'm kinda hoping this is their way of giving a nod to the EU. I'm okay with them using elements from the EU. It's a little weird, but I'm okay with it.

Darth_Corvus and Skywalker2B like this.
  25. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    Disney said they won't do the EU stories but they can take things from it, and being inspired from it. There's definitely some EU inspired things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.