main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Nice at the time but pretty overly long and dull with little to no character development for the big 3. What we're getting is way more interesting and compelling IMO.

2. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Luuke was a Terrible idea. Miss them, I do not.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

Why does Richard Attenborough look so peeved?

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Luuuke! Use the Farce Luuuke!

Really, Thrawn was a great character and the that series had some great moments.

But, they also had some really bad ones too(Force proof Yasilimari for one). They also dragged on and on too long for a trilogy.

The series also reignited my interest in SW at a time when it had been on the wane for some years.

Anyway, no the EU is gone.

But they should keep Thrawn and bring him back for a part in the Anthology.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  5. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Good thread

Adds to discussion

6. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015
    Agreed. Though I am mostly on board with this new trilogy as well.

7. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

You are entitled to your opinion... Just know it's wrong :p

8. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I think Starkiller Base is a marriage of original McQuarrie concepts for multiple Death Stars surrounding Had Abaddon/Coruscant in ROTJ, the planet-destroying-from-a-distance Galaxy Gun from DE and yes the Star Forge.

The name Ben, Han and Leia's son falling to the dark side and even looking very similar to Jacen was I think inspired by the EU. But furthermore is the fact Kylo Ren needed to sacrifice his father and was prompted to such by his master, much as Jacen was prompted to by Lumiya (although ultimately settling on Mara). Realistic holographic technology is also something found in the EU e.g. with PROXY, and Snoke's throne (and indeed gloomy, tomb-like hall) reminded me of those found on Korriban although likely coincidental.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. LikeMike

LikeMike Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    Of course they should use Things they like from the EU. Why not? There was some good stuff. But of course they should not just use the EU-Stories. Cherrypick Elements And tell the story they want to Tell.

That being Said: of course Han And Leia would have at least one kid. That's not the most innovative Thing, that was just Common sense. And of course the grandson of Anakin might be temptet or turnend to the Dark Side, that's just common sense as well. And the Name? They wanted to use a Name that would mean something to them And the audience. Obi-Wan and Yoda were probably to exotic, so Ben would be a Natural choice - also to distinguish him from Obi-Wan.

So using stuff from the EU is totally Fine - but the character of Ben is just a logical story Beat, And not a genius far fetched EU-idea.

10. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    They totally borrowed for the EU. I believe JJ mentioned having a lot of communication with Pablo Hildago, who he couldn't stump. So while they didn't know it on their own, they were keyed in directly to the person (people) who do.

11. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I agree with those that find the name Ben somewhat strange for the Son of Han and Leia. It can work if explained right, but I don't think anyone would have guessed they would name their son after Ben Kenobi. Maybe it was more to do with the fact they felt Ben was the one that brought them together?

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

14. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Before I opened the book to start reading Heir to the Empire, I imagined the 20th Century Fox fanfare and then the Star Wars theme. The book was interesting at the time, especially since I'd never read Star Wars beyond the storybook and that sort of thing. This was 1992. Then Anthony Daniels was on a QVC special selling Star Wars collectibles, which was a rare kind of thing to be on TV at the time. Someone mentioned the Zahn books and how they would be good to see as movies, and he pointed out they were something entirely separate, while remarking the prequels would be in development. In summary, I've been use to the idea that these were just books for quite some time.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The Force Awakens is far, far better than Heir to the Empire.

And Kylo Ren is a billion times more interesting than Admiral Thrawn and his "know your enemy through their art" nonsense.

16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Love these novels. But Zahn said when they came out and again when the ST was announced that these wouldn't be the sequels that you are looking for.

17. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    Man, I remember back then....those were dark times for SW fans. No Star Wars anywhere. Was the only source of SW info. Loved them...but that was it. Was like crack...once you finished the book..nothing. Could not get any more SW anything back then.

[​IMG]

They were absolutely perfect for the time. But I can see why they wanted to start from scratch rather than trying to determine where star wars can go without issues and navigate through all the mess that occupied the EU.

18. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    Sazabi Brah, I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. In fact I've always said to people: Why don't they just make the Timothy Zahn trilogy into books it is FANTASTIC. SO MANY great moments and an excellent story with great characters.

In fact if Disney would just do that anyway, or an animated or something I dunno. It almost deserved to be put on screen somehow..

RogueDee likes this.
  19. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I liked these books as a kid -- although I always found Thrawn a dull villain -- but in retrospect, they are awful. Cloned Luke obviously is perhaps the worst idea, but Force blocking lizards are also the essence of dullness.

20. TheLazure

TheLazure Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2015
    That's in your mind. But son, the real Episode VII is called Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens.

21. astinus4

astinus4 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    Wouldn't mind seeing the Thrawn character used in the ST

22. SazabiBrah

SazabiBrah Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    You mean A New Hope Version 2 is better than Heir to the Empire?

No, no it is not.

And emo-kid Kylo Ren is definitely not as interesting as Thrawn. Thrawn was something new; in fact, he still is original. Kylo Ren is the "been there, done that" whiny brat turned evil.

deathraygun likes this.
  23. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Sorry, but the real Episode VII is TFA.

24. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    No. But at least they have Luke Skywalker in them!!! :cool:

He's even on the cover--imagine that!

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Obligitory "Thank the stars Artsy Smurf and the Tang Stain are now 'Legends" post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.