main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Yeah, it’s just fiction, I mean you don’t have to accept the ending they hand you.
    - Joel Robinson

2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Ah, good ol' glorified fanfiction.

3. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Maybe I should give them a read. Assuming they haven't been Fahrenheit 451d by the Disney Corporation.

4. Gaston444

Gaston444 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks for posting this, as it seems to be a good starting point to read a bit into the EU.

And a moderate and sophisticated villain is, on principle, potentially more interesting than the standard "kick the dog" villain...

Gaston

deathraygun likes this.
  5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Negatory

6. Vic Sage

Vic Sage Jedi Padawan

May 1, 2014
    The Thrawn Trilogy was good and I would love to see him on screen.But we have the true sequels now.

7. LordTimCahill

LordTimCahill Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2015
  8. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I liked the Thrawn trilogy and thought they were good books. I also thought they weren't the least bit cinematic or filmable.

9. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
  10. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Good, fun reads for sure, but no. They are not a sequel trilogy to me.

11. jofos

jofos Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    I remember reading the first book and not liking it but I still read the other two lol. I wasn't a big fan. I'm glad some people enjoyed them. I'm also glad that they weren't used for the ST.

12. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Have fun reading your books, while we're having a blast watching freakin Star Wars movies! :D

TheMoldyCrow and a2dmusic like this.
  13. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    The EU was great while it lasted, but if you're going to be bitter that it's no longer canon, you won't get a lot of sympathy from Disney. But still, that's the great thing about fiction. You can move things around and enjoy the story that results, even if it never appears in the movie theater. Personally, while I hate Han dying I love not knowing where the story is going. I couldn't endure going through all 20+ books on the Yuuzhan Vong invasion even if I liked a couple books in the series.

14. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    I actually find the Thrawn Trilogy to be pretty boring.

darklordoftech and Drewton like this.
  15. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    The Thrawn Trilogy was fine at the time, and were a good enough start for an EU proper. But let's face it, the writing isn't much above a Clive Cussler novel, and the whole clone Luuuuuuuuuke Skywalker stuff got silly. They're not terrible, but fanboys attach to them way too much and to the general public, it'd just be some blue guy dicking around with pretty pictures.

a2dmusic and Dra--- like this.
  16. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Thrawn, original? I recall Darth_Pevra exploding that myth. Basically he is a villainous version of the genius detective trope.

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yeah, he's space Sherlock complete with the magical ability to make the right guess out of thin air.

The good news is that Star Wars fandom is really large. If you want you can ignore the movies and stick to your small corner of Thrawn Trilogy fanfictions, discussions, etc. On Youtube there are quite a few channels who still cling to the old EU.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

19. SazabiBrah

SazabiBrah Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    You guys are crazy saying TFA is better than these books. Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy the film, but it lacked creativity in that it was a rehash of ANH. The books had better characters hands down: Mara Jade, Talon Kardde, Thrawn, etc.

It's like some of you are desperately trying to convince yourselves that the movie is miles beyond these books... just no.

20. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I knew they were going to throw out the post-ROTJ Expanded Universe because it makes things too difficult for a sequel trilogy. I was kind of annoyed in The Force Awakens when we learn that Han and Leia have a son on the dark side. Gee, haven't seen that before. :rolleyes:
    Even with these new movies, I still want to indulge in the old material. In fact, I plan on reading the Thrawn Trilogy for the first time soon.

21. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    I never understood crying over the EU. It had amazing moments, but 90% of it was crap. Sub par authors working from a pre-established outline, shoot me now. Not to mention all the plot contrivances, clones after clones after clones, super weapons for everyone, and the whole universe was related.

Quality over quantity gents, the EU never got it.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. celestia

celestia Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The Thrawn Trilogy would have been incredible. It just wasn't really do-able with the cast. I LOVED Thrawn as a villain though. I feel like Zahn came up with something truly original when he was writing. When I first heard they were actually going to make this sequel trilogy I was hoping against hope they would use this ... it seemed like a good plan, but I can see why they decided against it.

I'm curious. Does anyone think the choice of the name "Ben" is JJ Abrams throwing us a bone (refernce to Luke and Mara's son)?

I'm glad they didn't go crazy and stick with Jacen and Jaina for names. Those were pretty terrible choices.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No one posts like Gaston!

celestia likes this.
  24. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    No one quotes like Gaston!

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I use emoticons in all of my thread making!

ThorOdinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.