main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Official Site Confirms Chewbacca's return in Episode III

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Starburstlvr, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starburstlvr

Starburstlvr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    From StarWars.com:

Episode III will further connect the Star Wars saga, bridging the prequel trilogy to the original trilogy in new and surprising ways. As such, familiar faces and places will return in this new Star Wars film, which is currently in pre-production.

Reprising their classic roles from the original trilogy are actors Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker. They return to Star Wars as Chewbacca the Wookiee, C-3PO and R2-D2.

"I'm delighted to return as Chewbacca," says Mayhew. "I think his re-appearance in this film is a fitting way to tie the whole saga together, especially for Wookiee fans." Given that Chewbacca is a sprightly 200 years old in Episode IV, he is more than old enough to fit into the prequel timeline.

Now I'm really excited about Episode III!

2. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
  3. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Kewl. Knowing Lucas, I just hope it's more than a 2 second shot.

:cool:

4. Starburstlvr

May 2, 2002
    Yeah I hope it's more than a "find Chewbacca in the Galactic Senate" type shot.

Even if it's just a brief scene or even a "Oh yeah, that's furball over there is named Chewbacca." I'll be happy.

5. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Just what we needed, another old burned-out Star Wars actor trying to reinvent the wheel. That man is so old and crippled I don't know how he'll ever fit the part of a YOUNGER Chewie!! I mean, come on Jeff, you've spent even more time with him than me... I think it will look pathetic.

As long as Prowse doesn't win his campaign to don the armor again I suppose it won't be too bad.

6. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    Yea, Mike. Chewie on crutches. Peter is a nice guy but his scene better not have him taking more than a few steps. This just makes me cringe thinking they may be getting an idea from the EU. Having a scene with a young Han Solo as an officer who shows pity on a captive Wookie slave. I know in that scenario Han was an Imperial officer. Lucas is just doing this Chewbacca thing to please the fans anyway. I know we'll see another cameo of some other OT character. It's Lucas' last chance to save what's left of his fan's loyalty.

7. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    No, it's his last chance to destroy any dignity he had left by catering completely to the fans.

What fans don't seem to realize is that if the creators of these things we love so much were to give us EVERYTHING we want, we'd get tired of it immediately afterwards.

Joss Whedon (genius), once had the best explanation of the relationship between a good creator and his fans. "Don't give them what they want. Give them what they NEED."

8. Starburstlvr

May 2, 2002
    Well, after killing Chewie off - I *need* to see him on the big screen. :)

Basically, I get the feel it will be a short cameo. Perhaps, Chewie will be sitting or just leaning up against a wall. I dunno. I doubt it will be a drawn out scene.

9. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    With this big of an announcement, seems very likely it'll be a supporting role, not just a cameo...could be a lot of fun seeing Chewie cut loose again :D

Since STAR WARS is a six-part story, not just two parallel trilogies, having our favorite Wookiee would be a fun way of building the story/character elements towards the events of episodes IV-VI.

And it's a sneaky way of reminding everyone that thinking of STAR WARS in terms of OT and PT is a false dichotomy.

I'd love to see Chewie helping Bail and Padme escape to Alderaan, kind of like Chewie/Lando/Leia escaping from Cloud City in ESB...or get in some sort of battle side-by-side with Obi-Wan.

Wouldn't worry about Peter Mayhew being back in the suit...with stunt doubles both physical and digital, there's a lot that can still be done.

Remember, many people were whining about Christopher Lee's age when the news of his Sith apprenticeship happened, but after seeing Dooku fight in CLONES they changed their tune...

10. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Yes, but old though he may be, Christopher Lee still walks upright like the rest of us homo-sapiens. He also speaks in clear concise manner, as opposed to incoherent mummblings. At least Chewie doesn't need to talk.

Oh well.

By the way, Starburst, something to keep in mind for future posts regarding EP3... You might want to put a spoiler warning on news like this. Although this isn't much, there are some here (Kenley) who prefer to stay so pure as to not even watch the trailers, let alone read news from the main site. I personally am not like that, but just thinking of all involved (Kenley). We had a cardboard standup of a Clone Trooper at the last line that one member was upset at seeing (Kenley). Again, just somehting to think about when reporting news from EP3.

;)

11. Starburstlvr

May 2, 2002
    Not a problem :)

Kenley has some will power to go that spoiler free!

12. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Who said anything about Kenley?? I don't recall mentioning any names... ;)

We luv ya, bro. :)

13. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Also, to complicate matters, if you are anti-spoilers you'll want to stay away from or be pretty careful at STARWARS.com and TheForce.Net main pages...

Both sites as well as the STAR WARS Insider magazine will be releasing production info for the upcoming Episode III, and TF.N considers any news posted on the Official Site is NOT a spoiler as it's out there for the general public...for better or worse! ;)

They're going to try to avoid putting too much detail in the headlines, but just a heads-up that spoiler freein' ain't gonna be easy :cool:

14. Starburstlvr

May 2, 2002
    Yeah, it will be difficult. I still haven't figured out how spoiler free to be - and dear God that rhymed. I've been doing that a lot lately...

15. LebaDraddog

LebaDraddog Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    Re: Christopher Lee

Per DVD: Mr. Lee had a double who did all the fight sequences. He, too, is too old to conduct himself actively. They seemlessly pasted his head on the double's body.

16. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    And Lee wasn't the only one...also per the dvd, quite a bit of the Obi-Wan/Jango fight involved physical and/or digital stunt doubles ;)

I tell ya, acting in a STAR WARS movie is getting to be a real cushy job :D

17. ThreepMe

ThreepMe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    Chewie's back! Sweet!

All I have to say is, "oooooohhhhhh, what a Wookiee!!!"

18. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    I have a feeling that any appearance by Chewbacca will feel forced, just like everything with 3PO in Eps I and II. There simply is no reason for him to be in this film, storywise. I would love to be proven wrong, but I highly doubt I will be.

Oh, and don't take this as a slam, but the EU sucks. I've read every single book (because I'm a loser), and they are all mediocre at best--compared to the films (even the prequels). Dark Empire is the only exception. Chewie dying in Vector Prime was a money-making gimmick that was as forced and corny as the entire NJO.

I'm not attacking anyone that likes the EU, I'm just attacking the EU.

19. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    I'm preaty sure that 99% of use here feel the same way. That includes me.

20. Starburstlvr

May 2, 2002
    The Young Jedi Knights series introduced me to the EU - and I like the character of Jaina Solo, so of course I find the NJO interesting. Although Chewie's death did have its economic benefits, I think it made the readers realize that this enemy was serious. If they can kill Chewie - they can kill off any character. I know I had gotten into a lull of knowing that oh yeah this person is in trouble but will get out of it, they always do. But when Chewie died all bets were off.

Other than I, Jedi - Champions of the Force (if I remember correctly), the Young Jedi Knights series, and some of the NJO (I couldn't keep up with that one and have fallen behind), I haven't dived into the EU.

And Kurgan - don't rain on my Chewie parade! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.